|1. Summer||2. Regalo||3. BabySeater|
A baby playpen is a blessing for parents, which keeps the baby engaged while you finish your work. It is fitted with soft mats inside, and designed to provide enough space for the baby to crawl. Infact, it also offers sufficient height on the railing ensures your munchkin to climb out or leave the play space.
Baby playpens are the best choice for every mother, be it a stay at home or a working mom. If you are concerned about your baby’s safety, when the kid is not in front of you, you can easily rely on these baby playpens.
This article will guide you around the selection of the best baby gear, how to maintain them, the various uses you can put the playpen to. So go ahead and look at the top 15 baby playpens we have gathered for you and clear up all your doubts too.
Top 15 Best Baby Playpens 2020
1. Summer Pop ‘N Play Playard
Parents loathe having to carry around a huge bundle of accessories just to set up a playpen for their kids. With the all-new, easy setup playpen by Summer Infant, you may pop up the canopy wherever you go with no fuss. Its large canopy and mesh sides give your little one complete cover and protection no matter what season or weather.
The meshes are also zippable, making it easy to set up. Being lightweight and compact, you have no worries of taking up space or it is heavy. The highlight of this playpen is its water-resistant floor, leaving the base dry enough for your kid to move about even if they make a mess. Pack it all in the additional travel bag and carry it over your shoulder with the firm strap.
- Water-resistant canvas
- UVA, UVB shield
- Compact and portable
- Usable for ages 6-24 Months
- Ideal for both indoors and outdoors
- Non-removable base
- Time consuming setup
2. Regalo My Portable Play Yard
One of the top features of the best baby playpen model by Regalo is its ‘easy to fold and go’ design. The layout of the beams and fittings, allows you to set it or pack it with a simple move. The nylon bottom of the playpen also allows you to wash the fabric with soap and later clean it up with a damp cloth.
A reinforced safety lock feature keeps the play-yard secure at all times with no special instructions. The design is solid enough to allow you to also use this playpen for your pets.
- Portable and light
- Pet-friendly design
- Breathable mesh walls
- Hand wash friendly
- Water-resistant for indoor and outdoor use
- Easy to use and store
- Loose netting
- No padding
3. BabySeater Playard Play Pen
Give your kids their own space to play, with their very own playpen by BabySeater. This design allows you to set up the playpen single-handedly, leaving your other hand free to carry your little one.
The playpen is versatile that you can set it up anywhere you like – indoors, outdoors, at the beach, park, or even at good old grandma’s backyard. The special feature of this playpen by BabySeater is its machine-friendly material, making it easier to maintain and clean up.
- Double safety lock
- Machine friendly material
- Single-handed setup
- See-through mesh
- Easy return policy
- Sharp velcro fitting and a little large in size
- Non-padded base
4. Lulyboo Best Baby Playpen
Give your infant the best and most comfortable crib to lounge with. It is not only portable but an all in one playpen. The sides of this innovative playpen made of foamy material. It also has a waterproof textured base and it is machine washable. The safety of this product is tested and certified.
This multipurpose best baby playpen by Lulyboo converts into a portable backpack in a jiffy. Use this as a crib for your baby with the added adjustable canopy to shade your infant from sun and wind. You may find it useful as a bassinet or a changing station or even as a playpen wherever you go.
- Lightweight and portable
- Versatile and entertaining
- The shade protects from sun and wind
- Convenient and washable
- Perfect for outdoor
- Flimsy sides
- No bottom support
5. Fortella Cloud Castle Foldable Playpen
Customized to resemble a clouded castle, this playpen by Fortella can be easily assembled or removed with ease. Its anti-slip and anti-scratch base allows you to place it on any surface without worry and give your kids their very own fort-like playpen.
The design also includes a gate with a secured safety lock feature, allowing you to contain your kid inside with no worries. As an added advantage, they provision this playpen with a whiteboard and sensory toys on the activity wall, keeping your kid’s mind and motor skills sharp and in shape all the time.
- Large space
- Secured gate
- Portable design
- Foldable and sturdy
- Bulky parts
- Plastic smell
6. LEGO Jurassic World Themed Mini Playpen
Lego toys are a guaranteed and well-known brand of toys to keep your little one occupied at all times. This Jurassic World themed miniature playpen for kids includes 48 pieces of lego, all safely packed into an eco-friendly polybag.
The highlight of this package is a mini baby velociraptor, entertaining your kid and keeping their motor skills sharp and trained at all times. Not only does this hone their sensory skills, but also their creativity skills. Being compact and lightweight, this best baby playpen it can be carried about anywhere your kid pleases.
- Compact mini-series
- Entertaining baby raptor
- Modifiable parts
- Perfect gift option
7. Skip Hop Secure Playpen
Securing the play area of your kid is definitely an upper hand anyone would want. This sturdy and secure assembly playpen by Skip Hop gives your kid a multitude of activities to keep them engaged as you go about your work. It ensures the safety and a free-standing play yard with an easy-open door panel.
Fitted with a cloud themed teether, this playpen is suitable for kid’s right from the age of 6 months, up to at least 2-3 years. You may also find that its clip-on parts can be so arranged as to use as a room divider or a barrier.
- Easy clip-on feature
- Sensory based activities
- Multi-purpose design
- Breathable Mesh Panel
- Sturdy steel frame
- Easy access door
- Red indicator denotes an open door
- The dividers are a bit unsafe
8. New York Doll Collection Doll Play Yard
This product gives wings to your child’s imagination. This heart patterned easily foldable playpen. It can accommodate dolls up to 18”, such as American girl, madame alexander, and our generation,etc. This playpen is foldable and can be easily stored in its own bag.
Being lightweight and easy to use, this is the best baby playpen gift you could give your kid. The easy assembly feature also allows older kids to set up the play yard in a jiffy with no adult supervision.
- Sturdy build
- Doll play fun
- Miniature play-yard
- Zip up storage bag with carrying handle
- No velcro to secure
- Flimsy parts
9. Jaxpety Baby Panels Playpen
This product has 8 easy to attach and detach panels that are child-safe, eco-friendly. It has suction cups at the base that make it the perfect choice for your kids to play within. Being multicolored, these panels also keep your kid’s mind active and allow them to explore the space within the playpen.
The versatility of the panels allows you to set up the playpen in different shapes such as circular, octagonal, rectangular, square, and more to your requirements. A locking gate panel gives you the option to secure the playpen further and allows you to walk in and out of the playpen. This also enables you to set up the playpen on different surfaces, including carpeted floors.
- Light and portable
- Easy to fold
- Easy to assemble
- Sturdy suction cups
- Secure door lock
- Large space for kids to play
- Suction cups doesn’t stays in place
10. Yobest Portable Playpen
They make it of alloy steel pipe that is reinforced with child-safe material; this best baby playpen by Yobest is suitable to set up both indoors and outdoors. Provisioned with soft breathable mesh netting, you can also monitor your toddler while you go about your work with no worries.
A clear instruction manual guides you to easily assemble the playpen. With ample space to move about, your toddler can move about a large area and remain secure within with the help of a double zipper that prevents them from stepping out.
- Sturdy suction cup
- Waterproof material
- Pet-free space
- Cushioned pipes
- Eco-friendly and non-slip material
- Easy to clean
- Not foldable
- Not portable
11. Fortella Cloud Castle Foldable Playpen
Fortella’s cloud castle-themed playpen panels give you the freedom to set the area and dimension of the playpen to your comfort. You may remove or add on more panels to give your toddler a larger or smaller space to play within.
The versatility of the panels allows you to assemble them with ease and pack it up without any fuss too. Fortella’s playpen features sensory enhancing games, which will keep your kid occupied while you can go about your work without any worry or distraction.
- Sturdy build
- Secure design
- Easily foldable
- Child friendly
- 4 panel extension
- It is a bit expensive
- Loose lock
12. Baby Jogger Multilevel Infant Playpen
This city suite themed playpen for infants is the perfect gift to both mothers and kids. The adaptability of the design gives the playpen a longer lifespan than expected. While they can use the upper level as a bassinet to rock your baby to bed, the lower level becomes the play spot for your infant.
The easy clip-on and remove feature allows you to transfer from one suite to the other, in a matter of seconds. Once your baby grows beyond the use of the upper bassinet suite, you may remove it and only use the bottom playpen area to secure your child, while they get to play as you work worry-free.
- Light and multi-level
- Easy to clean
- Stain resistant fabric
- Soft mattress base
- Easy storage
- Bulky build
- Space consuming
13. JumpOff Jo Easily Washable Mini Crib
Playpens and cribs might come without a proper befitting sheet or mattress for your baby to play about in comfort and peace. This special customized giraffe and calf designed mini crib cum playpen sheet offers your child the plush comfort and the cushioning effect as they move or play about.
Being hypoallergenic, they make this best baby playpen mat of 100% cotton and ensures your baby snug and cozy time in the playpen or crib. This whimsical sheet by JumpOff Jo is also washer and dryer friendly, allowing you to keep the material neat and clean.
- Hypoallergenic material
- Extra deep corners
- Reasonably priced
- Soft material
- Non-shrinking fabric
- Does not retains odor or stain
- Fewer design options
- One size only
14. Fome Toys Foldable Baby Playpen
Giving your kid’s sensory perception is worth your money, they design this set of playpen frames to give children more mental imagery to soak in and improve their cognitive and motor skills. The activities that are embedded into the playpen panels to keep your kids engaged and also hone their perceptual skills.
The benefit of this design is the uniform height of 85cm that helps the child to stand. You may use the extra space for storage; use the panels as a barrier to prevent accidents. They design this best baby playpen to suit kids from 10 months up to 6 years.
- Child Safe Material
- Eco Friendly
- Secure Design
- The quality could be better
15. Melody Jane Wooden Miniature Playpen
If you want to give your little one a gift, this miniature pinewood doll playpen is the best choice. Made from pure pine, they also fit this nursery with a cushioned mattress and resembles an authentic nursery. This design by Melody Jane also has other accessories that can be bought separately to complete the set.
This nursery model is nondetachable and comes only in the scale proportion of 1:12. Nurture your child’s instincts right from the start with the help of these miniature doll playpens and watch them learn from their very own toy playpen.
- Authentic Wood
- Sturdy Build
- Non-choking Hazard
- One Size only
Factors To Look For When Buying The Best Baby Playpen
There are 10 basic factors that affect the quality and durability of the playpen you choose for your kids. Once you look for and check these key factors, you will find the best baby playpen for your kid, to last for a lifetime.
- Safety Standards: Ensure that the playpen has the certification of standards by the local safety commission. Having the certification or safety seal from an authentic body confirms the quality of the material and the security of the product.
- Side Measurement: The sides of the playpen must measure at least 20 inches off the ground, giving your kid the base height to not lean over or fall off, thus preventing any injuries.
- Mesh Dimension: Mesh holes in the playpen must not exceed 0.6 cm. This guarantees that the holes cannot be accessed by little fingers or other body parts which could get lodged and pose a threat to the child. Frequent checks of the mesh can ensure or rule out any wear and tear of the material.
- Wooden Slat Placement: Wooden playpens require the slats to be placed at 2 – ⅜” apart, as it could risk the infant or toddler to get stuck or have accidents while playing.Rail Padding: The best baby playpen should have padding on the rails to prevent children from bumping into them or hurting themselves.
- Mattress Comfort: Having a good quality 1” mattress on the base will ensure your kid gets the maximum cushioning effect and gives you a solid base while sitting or laying your kids down.Locking Mechanism: Locks provided by the manufacturer on the doors or the hinges must always be out of reach of your children’s arms. This ensures security and furthers the safety mechanism.
- Design Support: It is vital that the playpen has secure hinges and other support features, ensuring your kid’s maximum safety and security during use. Hinges could snag or suction cups could come apart. Check for the quality of the playpen security prior to choosing one.
- Automatic Rail Lock: Having a mechanism that automatically locks the top rails once in normal position confirms that the playpen has seated appropriately.
- Wear and Tear: Always look for any possible wear and tear on the base or floor of the playpen. Fabric bases with no padding could have easy wear and tear.
Even after buying the best baby playpen from a trusted manufacturer, it is essential that you follow the basic protocols to maintain it and keep it in good condition. Now there are some safety measures and guidelines to follow as mentioned in the next section.
Safety Measures To Prevent Mishaps While Using The Best Baby Playpen
There are certain safety measures you need to keep in check to avoid causing your little one any harm. Safety does not stop at buying a good quality playpen. Measures need to be taken at every point to ensure your child gets the safest environment.
- Always keep the sides of the playpen up while leaving your child in. Having the side lowered can increase the risk of the baby getting locked between the mesh and the floorboard or get tousled on the mesh causing choking.
- To avoid choking or suffocation hazard, the use of a single mattress is always advisable.
- Soft beddings and pillows can cause the children to suffocate or trip over.
- Placing an extra mattress that was not part of the design can cause the mattress to not fit well and make your child uncomfortable.
- Ruling out any wear and tear on the mesh or the base is essential to keep your little one safe from falling or from acquiring bug bites through the openings.
- Placing the playpen adjacent to windows with curtains poses a strangling hazard. Avoid them at any cost.
- Best baby playpens with diamond-shaped openings should be avoided, as the child’s head can get stuck and cause serious accidents.
- Tying up toys on strings along the sides of the railing is also not advisable as they can cause the playpen to topple over when pulled.
- Last, stop using the playpen for your kid once they learn to climb out with ease.
Remember, all the above points to ensure optimum safety for the child while in the playpen.
Understanding The Advantages And Disadvantages Of Using Playpens
The basic motive of a playpen is to limit your child’s movement while not curbing their freedom to be creative. The basic advantages and disadvantages of the best baby playpens include:
- The main asset to using a playpen is to secure and safeguard your child from hurting themselves, especially with toddlers who have only begun to crawl. This is the stage when they explore and might end up falling, slipping, or even choking on things that can harm them. There could be open or exposed wires, power sockets, and other sharp objects that could cause serious harm to your little one. By using a playpen at a young age, you can rope off your child’s play area while still letting them explore within the marked space.
- Playpens allow new age working parents to look after the child and keep the child in safety while also going about their work with no worry.
- Playpens are mostly portable, allowing you to continue to rope off your child’s play area even when you travel out for instance at the beach, the park, at a party, or anywhere you need to carry your baby with you. The small child will become more comfortable.
- Some playpens convert into convenient cribs and bassinets. Other times, they can also use playpens as bedding for the baby when you wish to have your kid near your bed.
- The major drawback of using the best baby playpens is the restriction of space for children. This infringes their exploring skills and limits their imagination to the confined space.
- Being restricted to space also means being restricted from acquiring what they want beyond the circle of play. This too psychologically affects how your child reacts or assumes a situation.
- Sometimes closed and confined spaces can also induce a feeling of helplessness in children, making them feel insecure or angry. Such emotions are the end result of keeping kids for long durations in the playpen.
- Having understood the basic pros and cons of using playpens, here are some of the most common questions put forth by parents when it comes to buying a playpen.
FAQs on Baby Playpens
Q1. When Can My Baby Start Using A Playpen?
Mostly when babies begin to crawl they start their stage of exploring too. So around the age of six to seven months, your baby is all set to use their own playpen and explore within a safe surroundings.
Q2. Are Playpens Safe For My Kids?
Playpens are essentially gross motor molders for children. However, confining them to moving about only within the playpen can inhibit their natural exploring skills.
Q3. When Do I Stop Using Playpen For My Kid?
The right time to stop your kid from using the playpen is once they begin to climb out of the railings. Either that or once your kid is taller than the height of the railings on the playpen; it is high time your kid stops using the playpen to play inside.
Q4. What Is Playpen Used For?
A playpen is a piece of furniture that is used to accommodate infants, toddlers, and little children and to keep them occupied while the parents are busy doing their work.
Q5. Are Playpens Essential To Children?
Playpens are not essentially a part of children’s growth, but it could be used to guide them better while you are not able to spend your time with them.
Give Your Child The Best Space For Cultivating Their Imagination
Children need to communicate with other people like their peers to hone their social skills. But, having them placed inside a playpen will give them the time to analyze and explore their surroundings. It is only through this controlled exploration that they begin to communicate. Not only does this keeps their playing environment safe but also gives you peace of mind to go about your work without worrying about scary accidents.
By buying your child the best baby playpen, you mold their future and guide them to have secure learning. Help nurture their imagination and cultivate better gross and fine motor skills with the best of playpens. Thus, gift your baby with a playpen this season and pave a way for a better and skilled future for them ahead. By the courtesy of this product, you can find your child cultivating many skills in the most effective and rapid manner in just no time.
At the end of this article, you are aware of the basic purposes of playpens, their key features which make them the best choice for your kids, safety measures to take while using playpens, and the various tips on maintaining playpens. Now ready to identify the best baby playpen and choose the one that best suits your requirement, as well as keep your baby entertained and safe.