|1. Aveeno||2. Calming||3. Burt’s|
Many times you feel confused for shampooing your baby. Questions do arise in every parent’s mind that the child will be in tears while having shampoo or whether the ingredients in the shampoo are child and skin friendly. Though for the first few weeks your bundle of joy can have a simple water bath without soap and shampoo, as they grow four to six weeks old, their skin needs cleaning using any of the best baby shampoo available in the market.
It is the concern of every parent which shampoo is best for their child that will not make their skin dry by removing the much-needed body oils and will not cause any skin irritations or allergies. The concern is to protect the tender skin of the child. Through this article, we will explain the baby care products that you can use for your child. Go through the list of 20 best shampoos that babies can use, understand the product details, know what factors you must consider while buying a baby shampoo, and clear your doubts in the FAQs section.
First of all, let’s have a look at some of the top products available at present.
Top 20 Best Baby Shampoos 2020
1. Aveeno Tear Free Shampoo
The tear-free baby shampoo from the House of Aveeno is always the best baby wash made from natural ingredients, including oats extract. It is one of the brands that is being recommended by the pediatricians for more than 60 years in the USA. It will keep your baby’s skin soft, and at the same time clean all the dirt.
It is one of the shampoos that can clean the soft body of your baby without drying it out. The baby shampoo can be used daily without any side effects to make your baby smell fresh and stay lively. The oat kernel extracts soothe irritations, keep the skin calm and act as a natural moisturizer. Glycerin in the shampoo hydrates the skin and maintains the moisture levels.
- Lightly scented shampoo that is free from paraben, soap or phthalate
- Does not bring tears to the eyes of the baby
- Rich in proteins, lipids, enzymes, vitamins and antioxidants extracted from oats
- Packaging needs to be improved, as it is not a pump bottle
- Kids with super-sensitive skin may get rashes
2. Burt’s Bees Baby Calming Baby Wash
Burt’s Bees Baby Store has come up with this unique shampoo to take care of the sensitive skin of your baby. The 12-ounce bottle is available in two fragrances to give a smell of lavender or vanilla. It is the best baby wash for sensitive skin that can be used for cleaning the entire body. The mild scent calms the baby and helps to stay lively and energetic for an extended period.
It is one of the best baby shampoos that can be used daily. Made from 98.9% natural ingredients, it does not allow your baby to have tears while bathing. The ingredients include soy protein, thyme oil and lavender extracts to make the skin soft and clean.
- Free from paraben, phthalates, SLS and petroleum that can harm the tender skin
- Ingredients are all-natural and moisturize the skin to stay soft
- Tested by pediatricians
- Suitable for daily use
- EWG rating of 1 that proves that it is not toxic
- The viscosity of the shampoo changes in different batches
3. Burt’s Bees Original Baby Wash
While looking for a unisex and originally flavored best baby shampoo and wash, it is hard to ignore this product from the house of Burt’s Bees. It helps to clean the skin as well as moisturize it and can be used for sensitive baby skins.
It is hypoallergenic and makes the skin soft as well as smell good so that your baby stays refreshed for long hours. With soy protein and glycerin being the main ingredients, it is 99.9% natural and is tested by the pediatricians for giving a tear-free bath to your baby. Priced at around the $14, it is one of the best baby shampoos that maintain high levels of quality control.
- Free from SLS, paraben, phthalates and petrolatum
- Can be used for sensitive baby skin
- Dispensing the shampoo and the body wash is easy, as it comes in a pump bottle
- Skin and hair get silky, soft, clean and healthy
- Density differs in different batches
4. Puracy Sulfate- Free 16 Ounce Natural Body
It is the best baby shampoo and body wash that had won the 2018 “Best Baby Skincare” award. It is made from 3rd generation formula by the manufacturer and is suitable for all skin types. It is also the best baby shampoo for eczema and other skin irritations. The product is free from sulfates, formaldehyde, phosphates, paraben, caustics, dyes and other harmful chemicals that are often used in other products.
This baby shampoo and body wash is gluten-free, vegan and hypoallergenic and is wholly made in the United States of America. Priced at around $13, this product doesn’t burn a hole in the pocket considering the attributes.
- EWG 1 category product
- Completely non-toxic
- Suitable for all skin types
- Able to cure eczema and cradle cap
- Developed under the supervision of expert doctors
- Many users complain that it is not a tear-free product as claimed by the manufacturer
5. Lil Leona 3 In 1 Body Wash Bubble Bath
As you look for a bottle of best organic baby shampoo, you cannot ignore this product, as it is made from ingredients extracted from plants and suitable for sensitive skin. It is a product that will not bring tears to your baby. It can be used as a shampoo or body wash and can also be used to give your baby a bubble bath. A pack of two bottles is priced at around $25, and one can get around 950 ml of this product at this price.
- Free from parabens, sulfates, glutens and phosphates
- Made from100% natural ingredients
- 100% money-back guarantee to unsatisfied users
- Tear-free 3 in 1 shampoo
- Many customers complain that a burning sensation is felt if it enters the eyes
6. Original Sprout Vegan Organic Baby Wash
As you look for the best organic baby wash & shampoo, you can’t ignore this product from the Original Sprout Store. The shampoo is purely vegan and free from any harmful chemicals. It is indeed good to use for shampooing babies having sensitive skin.
Now keep the skin of your baby moisturized using this shampoo and care the skin of your baby by getting rid of cradle cap, eczema, baby acne, psoriasis, skin irritation, heat rash and any other skin diseases. Ever since launching this product in the year 2003, the manufacturer has never looked back on the sales volume. It is made in the USA. The 32-ounce pack is priced at around $27 that fits almost every pocket.
- pH level of the shampoo is in the range of 6 to 7
- 100% vegan product
- Made from plant extracts
- Provides the needed oils to the skin
- Useful for dry and sensitive skin
- The density of the product varies in different batches
7. Honest Calming Lavender Flavored Ultra Dreamy
As you search for some of the best baby shampoos, this is a product that needs to be added to your shopping cart. With the 2 in 1 formula of body wash and shampoo, it is the best baby wash and shampoo to keep your bundle of joy calm and relaxed. This lavender flavored shampoo from the Honest Company Store is free from chemicals, and the ingredients are derived from natural resources only.
- No-tears shampoo
- No paraben, sulfates used to make this shampoo and body wash
- Tested by dermatologists for quality
- Many users say, it cleans the body well, but the hair is not cleaned up to the expectations
8. Baby Dove Rich Moisturizing Shampoo
With Baby Dove making as the producer of this product. one can stay assured to get the best baby shampoo and add the product to their shopping cart. The scalp of the baby remains moisturized and healthy, as this product maintains a neutral pH level. With a little shampoo on your hand, one only needs to massage on the wet hair of the baby to clean it and keep the scalp moisturized.
With 348 ml for each count, the pack of 3 counts is priced within $20. It is a real bargain price that one can have considering the attributes of the shampoo. It is free from parabens, dyes and phthalates and does not make your baby cry while using it.
- Tested for quality by pediatricians, ophthalmologists and dermatologists
- Tear-free and hypoallergenic
- Keeps the hair healthy and soft
- Comes without a conditioner
9. Organics Tear-Free Shampoo And Body Wash
My Little North Star Store has come up with the best baby soap for sensitive skin that is rich in vitamin E, essential oils and aloe extracts. The ingredients of this shampoo are purely organic and do not harm the skin of your baby. It is now easy to get rid of the allergies and eczema using this shampoo and body wash on your baby.
This product is purely vegan and completely non-toxic. It has won the Mom’s Choice Award, which makes it one of the best products available in the market. The pack of two that contains 16 ounces each priced at around $22. It is one of the most pocket-friendly as well as baby-friendly products.
- Toxin-free and hypoallergenic
- Free from SLS, paraben, sulfates and phthalates
- 100% customer satisfaction guaranteed
- Many users are in doubt if the product is genuinely chemical free, as the ingredients contain phenoxyethanol, though stated to be extracted from plants
10. Cetaphil Shampoo And Body Wash
If you are looking for the best baby body wash that will give proper care to the delicate skin of your baby, then this shampoo and baby wash from the house of Cetaphil Baby should be in your shopping cart. It forms a uniform lather and cleanses the skin and hair of your baby. It is enriched with calendula extracts to make the skin smooth and calm.
A bottle of this 399ml shampoo bottle costs around $8, which makes it one of the most pocket-friendly shampoos and baby washes available in the market. With the power to retain moisture in the body, it keeps your baby’s skin hydrated and soft.
- Hypoallergenic and tear-free product
- Organic calendula extracts cool the skin surface
- Most dermatologists recommend it
- Many users complain of an uncanny smell while using the product
11. Babyganics Orange Blossom 3 Pack Body Wash
You can use the best baby soap by Babyganics Store and give your child a beautiful skin and smooth hair. The product has been tested by dermatologists and made from organic compounds that are certified. The organic ingredients are extracted from different plants, like black cumin, sunflower, raspberry, tomato, etc.
It does not contain any mineral oils, synthetic fragrances, sulfates, phthalates, petrolatum or parabens and is extremely skin-friendly. The three-pack offer product is priced at around $30 and is extremely pocket-friendly.
- Non-allergic product that does not cause any harm to the skin
- Dermatologists and Pediatricians have tested the product
- Easy to use pump bottle
- Smell is not that good
12. Johnson No More Tears with Chamomile
Johnson & Johnson have already proved their mettle in baby care products since years, and if you are looking for the best natural baby shampoo, this unisex product should be used by you for your child. All parents have trusted the brand over 100 years, and the manufacturer is one of the pioneers in baby products.
This No More Tears Shampoo is manufactured in Italy, and the manufacturer has added chamomile to it for pleasant fragrance. Its light aroma is also used to give the hair a fresh smell after bath. The three-pack product is priced at around $20 that is quite easy on the pocket.
- Pack of 3
- Tested by ophthalmologists for “no more tears” claim
- Mild shampoo
- Does not harm the skin
- Can be used on any hair type
- The smell is not that good
- The price is on a bit higher side when compared with other similar products
13. Made Of Store Calendula Chamomile
As you search for the best baby wash for newborns, you cannot avoid this product from Made of Store, as it is a certified organic product. With calendula and chamomile extracts included in the body wash, it helps to heal eczema and cradle cap. The shampoo can be used for any hair type. This product is made from 23% natural and 77% organic ingredients.
The product is free from sulfates and parabens, soy or phthalate and can cure almost all skin irritations. The 15-ounce pack of this body wash and shampoo is available at around $13, and it can be used on oily, dry as well as normal skin.
- NSF Organic Standard certification
- Verified EWG product
- Made in the United States of America
- No fragrances, sulfates, and parabens
- Easy to use pump bottle
- It is not a tear-free product
14. Pipette Body Wash Baby Shampoo
As you look at the list of the best baby shampoos over the internet, this one from Pipette Store is hard to ignore, as it always makes a place in the list of top 20. This unisex shampoo is free from sulfates and any artificial smell. It is purely organic and hypoallergenic and made from plant extracts.
The sugarcane extract is processed and used in this shampoo to maintain natural balance and take care of the skin. It is a product verified by EWG that gently cleanses, nurtures and hydrates the skin of your baby. It is completely cruelty-free, and tested by dermatologists and pediatricians to be safe for your baby’s gentle skin.
- The sqaulene extracted from sugarcane helps to keep the skin moisturized
- Glycerin that is derived from the plants helps the skin to remain hydrated
- The shampoo is tear-free
- Cruelty free and sulfate free
- Suitable for sensitive skin as well
- Easy to use pump bottle
- Affordable price
- With no fragrance added, the smell of the natural ingredients is a bit stinky
15. Baja Organic Body Wash
Baja Baby Store has come up with this best toddler shampoo and conditioner that is made from 100% natural ingredients without any chemicals. As the shampoo is mixed with water collected from glaciers, it is free from any toxic substances. It can be used by people of all ages and can also be considered as the best soap for newborn baby. This shampoo is free from phthalates, sulfates and other harmful artificial chemicals. The scent of lavender will refresh your kid like never before, and the essential oils will keep their skin soft and hydrated.
- EWG participating product
- Suitable for all skin types, including sensitive skin
- Mild lavender smell
- Free from sulfate, chemical and phthalates
- Full refund promised if not satisfied
- Not a tear-free shampoo
- Higher price when compared with other similar products from different brands
16. Johnson Pack Of 6 Travel Size Baby Shampoo
If you are looking for best baby shampoos that can be carried easily when you are on the move with your kid, then go for this pack of six travel size baby shampoo bottles made by Johnson & Johnson. Each bottle contains 50 ml of baby shampoo enough for shampooing your baby for a couple of days.
This shampoo is hypoallergenic and free from paraben, dyes, sulfates and phthalates. It is a no-tears shampoo that is trusted by millions for over 100 years. It can be used on extremely sensitive skin without any side effects.
- Pediatricians and dermatologists have tested this shampoo for kids’ safety
- Eyes will not burn, thanks to its “no more tear” formula
- Easy to carry
- Fresh smell
- Free from harmful chemicals
- No dyes, sulfates, parabens, and phthalates
- The price of the pack is on a bit higher side
17. Pipette Cented Tear-Free Shampoo
Pipette Store has come up with this unique scented shampoo having Patchouli smell. The shampoo is made from extracts of renewable plant derivatives and sqaulene extracted from sugar cane to take care of your baby’s delicate skin. It is a unisex shampoo and can be used for any type of hair. The product is 100% plant-derived, and one can get it in three varieties of scents, that are rose, patchouli and geranium.
The naturally derived glycerin keeps the skin hydrated, and squalene balances the moisture levels of the skin. With strict quality control, the product is one of the bestsellers and is verified by the EWG.
- 100% non-toxic product
- Dermatologists and Pediatricians have verified the product for its attributes
- All ingredients are organic or plant-derived
- Free of harmful chemicals and sulfates
- The fragrance of the shampoo is too strong, and some kids get irritated with the smell
18. Dapple Plant-Based Shampoo
If you are thinking to give natural and plant-based care to your baby while shampooing and bathing, then your search will almost end with this product from the house of Dapple Baby Store. The skin of the baby stays two times more moisturized than any other body shampoo. Moreover, the shampoo is free from any smell and will not irritate your kid.
It is completely a non-toxic product and full of prebiotic botanical product that keeps the skin soft and hydrated. It has won the Purity Award and is free from mineral oils, sulfates, synthetic dyes, paraben, DEA, TEA and any other chemical substances.
- Non-toxic, tear-free and hypoallergenic
- Completely plant-based product
- Keeps the skin smooth
- Price is within reach of all parents
- Made in the United States of America
- Produced while maintaining strict quality standards
- It is too much concentrated and needs much water to clear the bubbles.
19. Johnsons Baby 400ml 2 In 1 Baby Shampoo
As you look for a two in one shampoo and conditioner that can unlock the tangles and knots of your kid’s hair, nothing can beat this “no more tangles” shampoo from the house of Johnson & Johnson. This shampoo is free from parabens, sulfates and any type of dyes.
It is a completely hypoallergenic product and has a gentle formula that does not harm the tender skin of the kids. The double pack of 400 ml each is priced in such a manner by the company that it can fit all pockets.
- Unlocks all knots and tangles in your baby’s hair
- A no-tear shampoo
- Suitable for all skin types
- No additional conditioner is needed, as it is a 2 in 1 shampoo
- Paraben free
- No dyes
- Too strong is the smell
20. Thinkbaby Body Wash Baby Shampoo
If your baby has sensitive skin, it is best to use this body wash and shampoo that is rolled out by Thinkbaby available in 237 ml tube. It is a product that is free from paraben and other biologically harmful ingredients. Due to its gentle nature and natural formula, it is quite safe for use in newborn babies also. It is a unisex product with a scent of Papaya that does not use any animal products for the ingredients.
The 237 ml tube is priced at around $8 that can be afforded by almost all caring parents. It is made in Texas and entirely a product of the United States of America.
- No- tear body wash and shampoo
- Can be used on newborn babies
- Extremely good for sensitive skin
- Free from harmful chemicals
- Tube is easy to carry and use
- The density of the shampoo is not consistent, and it varies from tube to tube
Factors To Look For When Buying Best Baby Shampoo
It is needless to say that the skin of a baby is too tender and needs utmost care for prevention of rashes, itches, allergies, eczema and cradle cap. Hence, only the best baby shampoos should be used to keep them healthy, hearty and happy. While using any baby shampoo, the top best ones are to be used after considering a few significant factors. Some of them are:
1. Skin Condition Of The Baby
Babies have susceptible skin. Their skin can be dry, oily or normal and can be allergic to many products. Therefore, a shampoo should always be used that is made from natural and organic ingredients and free from harmful chemicals. A baby with dry skin will need a shampoo or body wash that can moisturize their skin. Another kid with eczema will need a shampoo that can give them relief. One should visit a pediatrician and get the skin checked and use suitable shampoo and body wash from the above list.
Go through the product’s label carefully and make sure that it contains natural and organic ingredients only. Also make sure that it does not contain any chemicals, parabens, GMO, sulphates, etc. Also make sure that the product is not tested on animals. To ensure that, find the term ‘cruelty-free’ on the product’s label. You would not want cruelty on animals for the safety of your child, would you?
One should always buy a shampoo and baby wash that is free from alcohol. Although alcohol mixed shampoo makes the hair and the body refreshing, it also makes the skin dry, as the alcohol in the shampoo extracts the water from the skin while evaporating. So, one should not buy a baby shampoo and body wash that contains alcohol.
4. Ph Levels
When a baby is born, the pH level of their skin is neutral, which means the level is at seven, and the skin is neither alkaline nor acidic. It takes time for the baby to develop an acidic layer on the skin to kill the harmful bacteria naturally. Therefore, one should always consider a baby shampoo which states that the pH level is neutral.
Babies cannot express their feeling. They can only cry when something is not as per their choice. However, every parent wants their kids to smell nice and try to use some of the scented shampoos. Those may unknowingly cause the baby irritations. Therefore, it is better to use a shampoo that is fragrance- free or that has a very mild scent to cover the smell of some natural or herbal ingredients.
It is best to use a product that is certified by the competent authority for the claims made by the manufacturer. Even if you are using a certified product for your baby, you should first test it yourself by doing a small patch test. Apply a small amount first and see if the child develops any redness or irritation with it. If it irritates your baby’s skin, it’s best to throw it away and try another product. For example, if the manufacturer makes a no-tears claim, then the parent should come forward to try for the claim instead of blindly trusting the manufacturer and applying it directly to the baby.
Baby products are made from the finest and the most refined ingredients. Therefore, baby shampoo or soap relatively costs more than those used by adults. One should never compromise on the quality of the shampoo looking at the price. However, that does not mean always to go overboard. Look into various alternative options offered by different brands, check their ingredients and efficacy, and choose the one that is most suitable for your child without breaking your budget.
One should consider these key factors before sealing the deal for the best shampoo for their kid and stay safe and keep the baby healthy.
FAQs on Baby Shampoos
Q1. Can I Get Different Baby Shampoo Products For Different Skin Types?
Of course, one can get a shampoo as per the skin sensitivity of the baby. A shampoo for dry skin will not work best for a baby with oily skin and vice versa. Again, there are certain skin ailments like eczema and cradle cap that need special care. One should use specific types of shampoos to fight them.
Q2. Is Ph Level Significant For The Baby Shampoo I Intend To Use For My Kid?
Babies are born with neutral skin balance, and it takes some weeks for the skin to turn acidic and kill the bacteria naturally. So, one should always use a shampoo and body wash with a neutral pH level for their newborn baby. As the baby grows older, consult a dermatologist for the pH concentration of the shampoo you must choose.
Q3. Are All Baby Shampoos And Body Washes Are Of “No-Tears” Quality?
In general, the answer is yes, but there are also products that are not tears-free. So, it is important to check the product’s label and make sure it has ‘no tear’, ‘tear-free’, or ‘no more tears’ written on it. If you cannot see any of such terms, try it on yourself first before pouring it on your baby’s scalp. If your eyes burn or become red, then it’s best not to use it on your baby.
Q4. How Long Should I Use Baby Shampoo And Soap For My Baby?
Baby products are made from the best of ingredients. Here is no age bar as to how long should one use them for their baby. Even many adults and aged persons can use baby shampoo and body wash to stay safe from any skin or hair disorders.
Q5. Can I Bathe My Baby And Use Baby Wash Every Day?
It is not fair to give a bath to your baby daily. Depending on the weather and the baby’s skin condition, one should decide accordingly. However, 3 or 4 baths a week after using any of the best baby shampoos should be enough.
Q6. Why The Price Of Baby Shampoos More Than The Conventional Adult Shampoos?
Unlike the adult shampoos that contain chemicals, the best baby shampoos and baby washes are made from natural and organic ingredients that are free from harmful chemicals and alcohol. Therefore, they are of much better quality and are more carefully manufactured. Hence, their price is more.
Refresh Your Little One Using The Best Shampoo And Body Wash
As a parent, you should always use the best bath products for your baby. Use the best baby body wash and shampoo to keep your baby not only smelling fresh but also fight various skin problems that are quite common in babies. Never compromise on quality for price and use any of the 20 products mentioned above to keep your baby safe and relaxed.