Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Diapering Without Sense of Smell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
whitzend View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote whitzend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diapering Without Sense of Smell
    Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 3:39pm
I am in the research stages of cding and mothering for that matter...still waiting on my little one through adoption.  90% sure I will be cding, eventually.  Problem is I have almost NO sense of smell.  I am worried that my wash routine will be flawed and I won't know until someone else points out how horrible my kid smells!  Also, how do I know what kind of water I have, hard/ soft/ etc.?
Sponsored Links

Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 183 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 9:05pm
Sometimes I question my sniffing ability when I sniff my diapers out of the dryer. I just shove them in my husband's direction and he lets me know if they smell fine :) My diapers smell just like my clothes do when they come out of the dryer, so I know they are fine.

Can you smell ammonia? I think you'll know if you ever have ammonia issues. I think you'll be fine. Just make someone else sniff them for you once in a while to confirm that they're getting clean.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 9:21pm
Honestly sposies smell worse than any poorly washed CD I've ever come across. But if you have issues in your wash routine odds are there will be some visible cues too. Usually a case of rashing on your baby.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 39 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 11:00pm
i have the worst sense of smell ever and i totally go by what the pp's are saying.

GL with it!
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
GoldenEmpress View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 218 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2012 at 11:20pm
I too have virtually zero sense of smell, but as other's have said you can smell ammonia, even I think with almost no sense of smell.  I bought a gallon of ammonia once to fishless cycle my aquarium and it literally about knocked you over just taking the cap off.  But back on topic, when you take your diaps out of the washer, stick your nose right on them and sniff.  If you can smell anything, than somethings up.  I sniff test mine everytime, and I haven't had an issue yet.  And seriously, after you CD for awhile, you get to where even with no sense of smell you can't stand the smell of sposies.

Do you have a water softner?  Is there a Sears store or store that sells water softners near you?  Usually they can/will test your water for free.  You'll probably just need to take a fresh sample of water in and they should be able to tell you how hard or soft your water is.
whitzend View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote whitzend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 1:53pm
Thanks everyone.  I really don't know if I can smell ammonia, but I know that one of my tile cleaners gets to me, I can't smell it, but do get choked upwhen I use it.  So, I would think ammonia would have a similar effect. 

Golden Empress: I don't have a water softener.  We only have a Sears appliance store in my area, but surely my hubs knows where to have water tested.  I am lost on such things.
 Post Reply Post Reply