Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

Bedroom setups.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(17)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 67 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bedroom setups.
    Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 11:37am
So, the house we're moving to has two bedrooms upstairs, two downstairs on the main living floor. The boys share a room and hopefully will continue to do so (depending on the size of the rooms). I'm trying to decide if we should put the boys upstairs with us and the baby downstairs or vice versa.

I'd rather have the baby upstairs, due to middle of the night feedings. But I don't know if I trust the boys downstairs. When they wake up I can see them running wild before waking us. And I also don't know if they'd go to sleep downstairs knowing we're still awake and *right there*. But I worry if I put baby's room downstairs.... will baby be able to nap? The boys are loud. Always.

Wdyt?
Sponsored Links

mairf View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 270 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mairf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 1:29pm
I would do boys upstairs, you and baby downstairs.  If the boys are always loud chances are baby will learn to sleep through the noise.  Maybe the second upstairs room can be a playroom where the boys can play during baby's naps?  We live in a small ranch.  You can hear everything everywhere even if the person is just talking in a low voice - unless we have the white noise maker on in the bedroom and that provides an amazing barrier to sounds from other rooms.  It's quite fantastic.  We have this.  I thought I was crazy for spending that money, but it works so well that we have to have it set on a timer so that we can wake up in the morning!  DH was literally sleeping through his alarm because of the nice soothing white noise until I came up with the timer solution! Sam sleeps and naps great even though Charlie is always loud!  
Mary Beth, mama to Charlie (11/05) and Sam (2/10)

k
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(17)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 67 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 1:44pm
I keep a fan in the boys room, but really want one of those, Mary Beth! Glad to know you love it.

Problem is, the master is upstairs. Depending on just how big the downstairs rooms are, I'd be willing to put the boys in the master. The only issue is we'd have to go upstairs to shower in the morning.

I'm actually wondering if their beds will even fit into one room together. I guess we just have to wait til we get there and see. They have those huge little tikes racecar beds. They fit now, but out house now has larger than normal bedrooms. Then again, I wouldn't be sad if I had to get rid of those beds and get them bunkbeds ;)
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(17)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 67 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 1:47pm
Would any of you put the boys downstairs and just pray the baby monitor would do its job and alert to any roaming kiddos?
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 70 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 2:10pm
We lived in a split level once where two of the bedrooms were on the below ground level floor and the other two were two floors up. I was really worried about DD1 and DS1 being on the ground floor while DH and I were on the top floor but it turned out to not be nearly as big a problem as I thought it would be. I set up monitors and we only had problems with them a couple times but the kids knew we could hear them and didn't cause much trouble. 
Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(25)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 2 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 2:33pm
Originally posted by bree bree wrote:

Would any of you put the boys downstairs and just pray the baby monitor would do its job and alert to any roaming kiddos?

Yup. that's exactly what I would do.
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7), Jeanine (5), and William (3)
k
northwoods View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 2:47pm
We're upstairs and our boys are downstairs.  It hasn't been a problem.  I have a monitor, but I haven't plugged it in in a long time.  I hear them just fine when they're misbehaving, without a monitor.  They haven't yet mastered the art of misbehaving quietly, I guess :)
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(13)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 12 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 3:24pm
I'd put the boys upstairs if beds will fit, I agree with Mary Beth about the noise machine- we have the same one! Our house is very small and DD has learned to sleep through the noise with the machine on. DS sleeps upstairs alone.

Another thought is during the day for naps you won't be running up and down stairs with the baby all day. I'm sure I could use the exercise, but it would drive me crazy. LOL
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(17)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 67 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 3:35pm
Erin, at first no - the baby will *hopefully* nap in the PNP or swing or something. lol I'm thinking it best to put boys upstairs, babe downstairs and get a noise machine. Hopefully with the amount of screaming babe is exposed to in the womb he/she will be use to it. lol I'm praying that I can institute 'quiet time' once we move because I think Logan will stop napping. Mason's good about being quiet now when Logan's napping. He colors or practices ABC or I (shudder) let him play Wii. It's just the two of them together that amp up the noise level.

Then again, we have time from when we move in til babe's arrival. So maybe we can try out the downstairs for the boys and if it doesn't work out switch. Their room doesn't have anything in it other than two beds and two dressers and a small book case.

I dunno. I guess its wait and see!
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(13)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 12 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 3:48pm
wait and see is a good approach. I know we've changed our set up already from how we planned before DD was born.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
jberrec View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 172 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote jberrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 4:21pm
I'd put the baby upstairs, boys downstairs. I like to have them closer when they're little, and it seems like in the long run you'll want the littlest one more closely supervised at night, whether it's for night time feedings as an infant or when they start climbing out of the crib when they're a bit older. And no way I'd want to give up the master bath, lol.
Julie-

USAirForce Wife, Mama to DS1 (5.5), DS2 (4), DS3 (almost 2) and another little one born in Feb
Mom2Miles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Perennial Pinner
5 years 323 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mom2Miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 5:07pm
I'd put the boys upstairs and the nursery downstairs, BUT I'd have the baby sleep in my room at night in a cradle or co sleeper (or in my bed is how it usually went).  Once the baby was old enough to sleep in their own room at night (around 9 months for me since that is when they would consistently wake once a night or less) I'd reevaluate and probably move the boys downstairs and baby into the upstairs room.  I think it would be nice to have baby's room on the main floor those first few months for naps and changing and stuff so you wouldn't be trekking up and down stairs all day.

But, that is obviously from a person who prefers to have baby in my room those first months at night.  If you don't, I'd say put baby upstairs next to you and boys downstairs with baby monitor.  At our old house the kids rooms were upstairs and ours was down and with a monitor I never had trouble hearing them get up.
Laurie, SAHM to Miles (7) and Leah (4)

There's no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one. ~Jill Churchill
JamieNoblit View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote JamieNoblit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 8:49pm
We have two bedrooms up and two down. Caelan and our room is upstairs, and cullens is downstairs. I HATE not being on the same floor as him, but our bedroom is enormous and he doesn't need it. Soo down he stays, and we got a security system so I can make sure he doesn't open a door if he wakes up before us. That and I still use a monitor. Hope that helps, but I'd probably put all three kids upstairs if you have that option for peace of mind.
Mom to Caelan 9-10-07 and Cullen 8-18-09
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(17)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 67 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2012 at 8:52pm
Jamie, I thought of you when I learned about the floor plan today but I didn't have the energy to find my phone and text you. lol I knew Cullen was downstairs but was wondering how that works out now that he's in a big boy bed. Do you gate his door?
 Post Reply Post Reply