Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

arm pit build up in t-shirts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mommyofmax View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyofmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: arm pit build up in t-shirts
    Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 11:03pm
Help!!! My DH's t-shirts get build up from deodorant in the arm pit area. I have tried several detergents, bleach, etc and I can't get it out. My DH showers every morning and puts on a "clean" shirt and then it gets washed. I am just so frustrated because the shirts smell. Anyone have this problem and have you been able to fix it? Thanks!
Sponsored Links

mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 11:15pm
i have this problem too.  Dh uses his tshirts to mop up most of the sweat and keep his nice shirts nice.  He's a sweaty guy.  Dh does the laundry and a regular cycle just doesn't cut it!

I've thought about a bleach soak (not too long) or spot treatment of some sort......
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 183 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 11:25pm
I've read that some people have had luck scrubbing the arm pit area on the shirt with Dawn and hot water. Maybe that would help cut the buildup?
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
gotlucy View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote gotlucy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 11:38pm
try rlr on the wash or sportwash, from the detergent aisle
I'm sure you're coming for me. BOO!! trick, or treat?
jberrec View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 328 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote jberrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 11:44pm
My husband isn't very sweaty, but for some reason cream of tartar came to mind. I googled that and found this info that might be helpful.

Julie-

USAirForce Wife, Mama to DS1 (6), DS2 (4), DS3 (2) and DS4 (baby)
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 1:07pm
J's PT shirts were always icky and a normal wash wasn't very helpful. This became more obvious when we switched to natural detergents w/o all the fragrance. But I love peroxide for protien based stains and keep it in my laundry room to treat sweat, blood, urine, poo etc.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
Dec1st View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dec1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by jberrec jberrec wrote:

My husband isn't very sweaty, but for some reason cream of tartar came to mind. I googled that and found this info that might be helpful.

Great link!  Thanks!
Erin B: mom to Ellie (Nov 2008), Stepmom to C (1997) and V (1996), wife to an amazing man

My Blog
taowensf View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(162)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 112 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote taowensf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 4:07pm
A good soak w/lots of oxy clean might help too. *My* shirts get really stinky. Blush Bleh!
~Tess~
mommyofmax View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyofmax Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 5:13pm
See, I can't really figure out if it is sweat. It kind of seems like it is the deodorant in combo with the sweat maybe.

Interesting article Julie, thanks. I will give some of those things a try.
taowensf View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(162)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 112 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote taowensf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 5:37pm
Mine is definitely sweat, for reference. I haven't used deoderant (none that work, anyway!) in years. 
~Tess~
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 8:46pm
We have the same problem with my hubby's undershirts. I think you're right; it's the deodorant residue and sweat together. When searching for a solution, I came across this website. I have yet to try any of these treatments, so I'm of no help as to what works. His are pretty far gone, so I think I might have to do more preventative type things the next time we replace them. If you find something that works, please let me know. :). Good luck.
mommyjessica View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 35 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 9:34pm
i have the same problem and it is a nightmare. mixed with hard well water... UUGH!!! makes me want to burn all of the old crap and replace everything.

i have found that calgon works somewhat.
another tip i have heard is using peroxide and dawn to pretreat. deodorant is HARD to cut through.
i have also found that using HOT water (i use my teakettle w/ boiling water) helps as well. i put the article of clothing in a large bowl and treat with stain remover and pour boiling water over it and let sit or scrub and let sit.
Jessica- Wife to Jared, Mommy to Tiffany Eve- born gorgeous 12-31-07, Emily Jane- born lovely 5-10-10, Lucy Renee- born beautiful 10-3-12

J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 36 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2012 at 11:44pm
i wish i had known these tips in high school. all my uniform shirts were yucky!
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
CherryBaby View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote CherryBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2012 at 7:40pm
Same problem here. I (for the first time) successfully resovled it (temporarily) by making a paste of vinegar and powder Tide and scrubbing it into the armpit area of the shirt. (I did it the lazy way--sprinkled Tide on the armpit area, sprayed it with vinegar and rubbed the fabric together A LOT.) I let it sit for a day and then washed it with a load of laundry. The smell was gone! I say temporarily because after I wore the shirt again, at the end of the day the smell of day old deoderant was back. But at least it's a step in the right direction! However, how to get rid of armpit stains---I have never figured out.
 Post Reply Post Reply