Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

Oven/stove cleaning help, please!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 221 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oven/stove cleaning help, please!
    Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 2:14pm
We're moving, and originally planned to just pay the $250 cleaning fee. But now that we're going to be in an empty house for 4-5 days, it seems silly to not just do it myself. Especially when I have friends willing to take the boys so I can clean. My main problem is my oven & stove. It wasn't clean-clean when we arrived, but it has to be when I move...'cause that's how they are :P If it's not up to their liking, they'll charge us. So my biggest issue is the porcelin coated or whatever they are burner protector things. The burner cap and the thing over top of it. I have no idea what it's called, but it's what your pot/pan sits on. Clear as mud? lol But if you know what I'm talking about, I can't get them totally 100% clean. There's black stuff that's just burnt on over time I suppose, even w/ regular cleaning. I've tried everything, inlcuding easy-off, and they're not spotless. I need them spotless. Any suggestions? Hopefully a non-toxic solution, being pregnant and all. :P Replacing isn't an option, because just one burner cap alone is $18!
Sponsored Links

BrittanyM View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(62)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 28 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrittanyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 2:29pm
I saw on Pintrest that you can get those clean by putting them into a ziploc with some ammonia and letting it sit overnight. Supposedly the fumes break down the yuckies and it wipes off. Not exactly a non-toxic solution though... maybe your DH could do it? Those magic sponges help too, but I've never gotten them to totally clean it.
Wife To Timothy (Nov. 2007) and Mommy to Tirzah (12.31.08), Elijah (12.24.10) and Samuel (with Jesus, 1.19.13)   k <a href=http://mariapayd
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 221 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 2:41pm
Ohhh good idea! On our cleaning sheet (that is way way detailed. ugh!) it says we can soak the exhaust filter, etc. in ammonia to break down the grease, but I never thought to use it on those since it's baked on. I've even put them in the dishwasher w/ no success! lol Those two things will become DH's job or 'beg my friend to do it' jobs. lol DH is going to be working the whole time so it stinks!
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 42 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 2:49pm
I am not exactly sure what you are talking about.  But whe I had to clean our last stove the pand that held the burner coils were bad.  Its not non-toxic but I have had good luck with Soft Scrub with bleach.  Scrub it on and let set for a while and clean off. 
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 228 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 3:07pm
For move out cleaning (or when I want everything really clean) I put those in the oven (the grates and round thingies can go in the oven) and run the self cleaning cycle. Most everything will turn to ash and you'll be able to wipe it off with a damp rag. If anything if left or if your oven doesn't have a self clean cycle you can spray them with easy off oven cleaner, let it sit, wipe, spray, let sit, wipe, and so on until it's all off. Just take them outside, to the garage, or to a bathroom with a fan and cover your mouth while you're spraying it or ask someone else to do it. 
Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 221 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 4:46pm
Liz, is it okay to put them in the oven? It says to not even leave the oven racks in their when running self clean.

My friend just told me comet w/ bleach and a green scrubbie thing will work.

Emily, we have a gas stove. But I know what you're talking about - the drip pans on the electric stove? We had those in Louisiana and they got sooo bad I  just tossed and replaced since they were only like $20 for 4 at Wamart for the metal ones. lol

I think I'm going to start gradually hardcore cleaning so when we are actually moving out in 19 days I can concentrate on the non-easily reached things that will be easy when the house is empty. Like, removing and washing all light fixtures. Really. That's on the sheet! lol
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 228 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 5:06pm
I've been putting them in the oven for years and never had a problem. I've done it with the grates from either four or five different stoves. Some of them went through the self clean cycle a couple dozen times while we lived there. I've never heard you are supposed to take the racks out so I've always left those in too.
Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 221 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 5:17pm
Well, it just says on our cleaning sheet to take the racks out. But if you've done it I'm going to, too. lol Chances are we both have pretty inexpensive, if not the same stove. Unless the officers get fancy ones? (not judging, just honestly wondering. Don't wanna ruin cheap stoves...as if those exist...) Fwiw, it's just a basic GE.
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 228 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 5:39pm
We have an ever so slightly fancier stove now, a whirlpool, but when DH was an O1 we had the same stove that was in the enlisted houses. I've been in a bunch of O6 houses and even they don't get fancy stoves. The one general's house I was in had a nice stainless steel extra wide one. Fridges seem to be more rank dependent for some reason. The O6 houses we share backyards with have way better fridges then we have over here in O4/O5 land, our last house was an O3 one and the fridge wasn't as nice as the one we have now. 

I've never seen a cleaning sheet that said to take the racks out. What do they want you do, scrub them in the bathtub?? We've also never had to take down light fixtures. 

I'm super jealous of your $250 cleaning fee. For the small house we're in now it's $700 and we have every intention of paying it. At least the cost for them to repaint the rooms we painted is included in that. 
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 221 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 9:55pm
We didn't paint, and if we had I don't think the $250 would cover that. Fwiw, our house isn't big. And the list of things for 'minimum' cleaning before we clear is long enough itself that we'd have to do anyhow even if we paid the fee. lol They're total pitas here! I seriously have NEVER seen a cleaning list so detailed. We've only ever had to really surface clean and clean the carpets, mop the floors. Make sure there were no marks on the walls, etc. We even have to wash the windows, inside AND out (yes, in January!). Move the fridge to clean behind it. It's ridiculous, but I think I can manage it w/ 5 days of an empty house (which is another pain in the rear. *sigh*).  The fee for the officer housing here is $550, but their houses are easily twice the size of ours. Oh and that $250 fee doesn't cover the carpets - for that it's another $205. But we can do it ourselves... and I found a company to do it for $98. I just have to give them the reciept that says they were 'professionally steam cleaned'. I'm half tempted to contact a cleaning service and see how much they'd charge for everything on my list. lol If I could find someone to do it for $100 I'd totally pay it. We just can't afford the $250 if we don't need to with the way things have not worked out w/ our move.

Oh! Another thing it says - scrubbing the walls. Start at the bottom and wash upward from corner to corner. lol They've gotta be nuts if they think I'm doing anything other than wiping off marks I see. They're going to repaint anyhow. I only wish I were so lucky and they were changing the carpets too, but we've only been here a year. They don't even need cleaned really, just re-fluffed. lol
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 228 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 11:58pm
Scrub every wall!? That's crazy. They have to repaint. We've only ever scrubbed off marks and dingy places around light switches with a rag or magic eraser. 

We hired a cleaning person for one move. She was a military spouse and DH knew her husband. It was just her little side business and she did it on her own so she charged less than professional services but she said if our house didn't pass the inspection we would get our money back and she would come back to fix whatever they thought was still dirty. I want to say we paid somewhere between $200 and $250 with the tip we gave her for a 2200 sq ft house. That was in south dakota, the going rate might be different depending on where you live. 

We cleaned our first and second houses ourselves, hired that lady for the third, DH hired someone to clean his korea apartment (as though he couldn't have done it himself Ermm), we cleaned our fourth house ourselves but they made us pay $125 for extra cleaning. They wanted the full $400 cleaning fee because they didn't think it was clean enough but I talked it down by going through different managers and explaining how dirty the house was when we moved in (it was a new house and every surface was covered in a dirty film, the carpets had muddy footprints, and the bathrooms were filthy from workmen using them). That house was a huge 3400ish sq ft and we ran out of time to finish the cleaning, we were doing a DITY move, already had our stuff packed, and DH had to be there at the new base the next morning so we didn't have a choice but to pay it so we could leave.

We've always cleaned the carpets ourselves with our steam cleaner and they've always passed inspection, even when we weren't able to get up some of the stains. I think if you have pets they require professional carpet cleaning.... I think our kids are filthy compared to some dogs I've seen LOL

Edited by elus0814 - 05 Jan 2012 at 12:04am
Gotchickens View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 199 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gotchickens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 12:35am
Another thought on cleaning the burner covers is to use a SOS pad. I used one the other day on the inside of the oven door and it took all the black off of it. Looks like new again!
Sarah ~:>

Full time Mom to Peter, Joshua, and Helen. Two peas in a pod with the love of my life Dan 7/4/2009.k
jberrec View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 330 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote jberrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 12:34am
We had an inspector try to white glove inspect one of our houses once. I seriously wanted to hit someone! The house was total crap to begin with and the cleaning list was a mile long too. We passed the inspection but probably only because we'd lived there less than six months and we didn't have a mobile child at the time. Those people were flipping crazy!

Good luck with your inspection Bree! I love me some magic erasers and mop n glow for that type of cleaning. And we've found that just using touch up paint or recaulking in the bathrooms is WAY easier than trying to scrub that stuff. Our houses have been older though.
Julie-

USAirForce Wife, Mama to DS1 (6), DS2 (4), DS3 (2) and DS4 (baby)
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 221 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 1:45am
Liz, our house is 1800sqft, with a lot of it being storage space. We don't have a carpet cleaner or I'd do it myself! Renting one would cost half as much as paying the $94 so I'm just paying it. Our two houses in Alaska, we only had to wipe stuff down. Didn't even have to clean carpets. In Louisiana, MIL did everything for me because Logan was just 2.5w old and she came down to help. She cleaned the carpets (borrowed the neighbors cleaner) and did everything. I couldn't have managed w/out her. The lady at the pre-inspection yesterday told me if things aren't good at 9am that day of our clearning we won't have a chance to fix anything because that's the latest possible time we have to be out. We were suppose to clear the 23rd, someone else is moving in the 31st! But housing in VA called us and said we can't move in on the 24th like we were suppose to because the people there now need more time, so we have to wait til the 26th. Even had the nerve to ask if that was an inconvience! Um, yes! Then lodging had no rooms! So I begged them to let us stay here a few days longer, and we'll be in an empty house from the 20-25th! the packers come the 19th & 20th. Should be interesting w/ two kids. But I have plans to send them to friends houses and just clean like crazy. And yeah, I'll magic eraser spots on the walls but that's about it. There's no way I can clean them all... especially when the ceilings are like 9-10ft high.

Oh a tip for cleaning in general - there's a tire cleaning product called Bleach White. MIL cleans houses for a living and swears by it for cleaning everything. It's horribly fumy though, so I can't use it right now. But she even poured some into the tank w/ the steam cleaner at our last house and the carpets came SO clean. Our diningroom was carpeted and the one section of it where you walked from the entryway to the kitchen was *so* dirty. Despite it being called 'bleach', it doesn't actually bleach anything. But it gets it really clean!

Okay enough rambling. Sorry. Off to plan my cleaning attack!
jberrec View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 330 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote jberrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 8:49am
I'll have to remember about the Bleach White. Sounds like good stuff! I'm a little spoiled in that my DH has done most of our move-out cleaning. It's funny, he stinks at routine cleaning. I never think he cleans the bathrooms well enough when i ask, but he can make a house shine when it's going to be inspected.
Julie-

USAirForce Wife, Mama to DS1 (6), DS2 (4), DS3 (2) and DS4 (baby)
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 221 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 2:12pm
It's all about money when moving out, Julie ;) LOL  My DH does pretty well when inspection is coming up. He totally cleaned up and cleared crap out the garage and hauled boxes to the dumpster for our PREinspection. LOL
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 168 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 5:05pm
wow, what a PITB!!!
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 221 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 6:05pm
Just thought I'd let you all know, my friend tried the ammonia trick last night and it worked...just took a while. I'll be stocking up on the huge ziplocks and ammonia. lol
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 39 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 10:51pm
wow Bree, that sounds like a crazy cleaning list. GL with that!
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
 Post Reply Post Reply