Forum Home Forum Home - Welcome! - Introductions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Welcome To Diaper Pin!  We are glad you've found us!

We have a wealth of information available to you in reviews, articles and through our members in our forums. 

Intros is a great place to start and tell us a little about yourself and where you are starting out cloth diapering.   The easiest way to start learning is jumping in and participating!

No Support for Cloth Diapering...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rackelbella View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote rackelbella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Support for Cloth Diapering...
    Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 9:06pm
I am pregnant with our first child (5 months and it's a girl)...

I have always wanted to follow in my sister in law's footsteps and cloth diaper my kids...I made the decision to cloth diaper probably 6 years ago when my first niece was born and couldn't wait to do it with mine :)

I have registered for Charlie Banana's and read into and did a ton of research and still stand by my decision...so here is the question...why do people feel the need to put in their 2 sense in on the subject...basically saying "what?  Cloth diapering...are you crazy?  You'll be using disposable quicker than you know it."  I feel like screaming "SHUT UP AND SUPPORT ME!" It fricken irritates me to pieces...and I can't seem to shake these un-supporters off my tail!

Regardless what people are saying I am proud to do cloth ... after all most of us were cloth diapered babies...STOP BEING LAZY PEOPLE!

So what kind of cloth diapers do you all use and what is some advice you can give me :)

Rachel
Sponsored Links

3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 9:17pm
Don't let them get you down. They obviously don't know what they're talking about. I think people get defensive when they come across parenting styles that aren't the norm b/c even if you don't think that way on some level they feel insecure about their parenting choices.

Stick to it. Cloth diapering evolves and changes the same way your child grows. What works for your newborn may not work for your toddler and that's ok. Be flexible.There are so many ways to cloth diaper because everyone's experience is different you just have to find what works for you. Your diapers, your wash routine, your baby.

Cloth isn't an all or nothing proposition. Don't fret it if you end up using a disposable at night or after a week of being sick or any number of things that some times happen. There's no big cloth diapering score sheet.

You've found a great group of supportive like minded people here and we're happy to help you figure it out along the way.

I have 2 in diapers right now and we mostly use OS fitteds under wool and sometimes a PUL cover. We do have pockets that we use at night.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 273 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 9:54pm
Welcome! Some of us are the only other CD mama we know in our own areas, so you're in good company :) Sam said it well, non-mainstream parenting choices draw lots of criticism because people feel judged or insecure about their own choices. Stick to cloth, it is awesome!

I use mostly flats and prefolds under PUL and a few wool items. If I could buy again, I would like to have flats and GMD Workhorses. I have a few fitteds reserved for naps and nights. I suggest trying a few things before you buy a full stash, you never know what you'll like the best. Welcome to the Pin!
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
rackelbella View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote rackelbella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 10:03pm
It's so nice to hear encouraging words, really really nice :)  My sister in law is the one who actually told me about this forum, and how supportive these moms are and already I feel so much better about my decision and being able to "convince" my husband to be on the same page as me.

I am still learning all the lingo...is there a place I can go that has a list of lingo words  i.e. OS fitteds under wool and sometimes a PUL cover, GMD, Workhorse... ;)

thanks again ladies!
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 129 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 10:24pm
hello!!! welcome to the pin :)

There are some stickies with the terms most commonly used but I'm not sure where to find them. Here are some...

OS - One size
PUL - plastic covers
GMD - Green Mountain Diapers (great CD store!!)
Workhorses - A fitted diaper made out of prefolds. It is exclusive to Green Mountain Diapers.

:)
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 273 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 10:52pm
Yeah, there is a sticky in one of these cloth diaper forums.
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 273 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 10:54pm
Here ya go!
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 310 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 1:03am
Welcome Smile!

FYI, cloth holds in those explosive nb. poos waaaaay better than sposies.  I learned that the hard way, because my first was in sposies, & some outfits were stained badly enough to end up in the trash.  I just saw it happen again w/ my sister's baby.  They traveled to see us, and the only big blowouts happened when she had to use a sposie!  So, as long as you get the fit right, you may end up doing less spot cleaning than those sposie-users out there Wink

Small Sandy's rock for holding everything in & being adjustable.  I don't think they work for the tiniest, but they are great once the baby hits around 10lbs.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 2:28am
yay! We are so glad you are doing cloth. Don't let the negators get you down.

When i was pregnant with my first i took a we'll see, we'll give it a try approach and that fended off the doubters (this was pre-facebook).

What channel are getting the flak from? Responses to the registry? or just talking about it. i'm somewhat protective and only share certain intentions with folks i know will be supportive. though once i was in the grove and confident in cloth i was talking about it right and left.
GoldenEmpress View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 308 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 11:19pm
Welcome!  All those people who tell you you're crazy and every other negative thing, ignore them.  I decided when I was pregnant with my now 5 month old son that I wanted to cloth diaper and everyone that I mentioned it to thought I was just nuts.  In fact my mother-in-law didn't believe me and just kept buying disposables and dropping them off at our house.  I had so many disposables that we used those for the first 2-3 months, and now we only use a disposable at night (my little guy is a really heavy wetter). 

I personally went against what everyone's advice was a bought all my diapers before my son was born.  I got a crazy good deal, and I knew exactly what I wanted.  Most people here, myself included don't generally recommend that.  But I knew myself and my husband too well and knew what I wanted and what my husband would be willing to deal with, so we use one-size pocket diapers from Comfy Rumps.  I love my diaps, and I'm glad that I went out on a limb and cloth diapered. 

You'll find a groove that works for you before you know it, and maybe even convert a few people who watch you and see that it's not as hard as people make it out to be in their heads.  I have had several people who initally told me I was crazy that have really come around and think it's pretty cool.
mommy2five0406070911 View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommy2five0406070911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 11:36pm

Welcome!!! I have a ton of negative people like that around here too.  My mom is one of them but I just don't let it get to me and keep doing it all my own way instead of what they think.  Cloth can be as hard as you want or as easy as you want it to be.  If you set out thinking its going to be awful just like most other things it will be but if you set out determined like you are your going to find your own groove and fall in love.  I have been cloth diapering since 07 and some of the mamas here began 8 or more years ago and if I could go back now I would have done it with my first too just like you so WAY TO GO and stick to your guns.  Like the ladies said some of us are the only other cd moms we know which was me until I convinced my bestest to join me in it finally. 

I use a variety of different diapers.  I have AIO's (bumGenius elementals) and prefold and covers (Econobums) for my almost to be 3 year old who only gets them on at nights because he is potty trained through the day.

I use flats and covers (Diaper Rite Flats and Blueberry coveralls) prefolds (indian unbleached) and covers which is my preferred system at the moment with him and AI2's (Best Bottom) for my almost 4 month old.  I have a woolybottom wool cover I love too and I've been through fitteds which I love from Wallypop, Mandis Menagerie and Sunseedlings, I love Flip covers and bumGenius pocket diapers.  I also have a coolababy which holds up pretty well and two baby beebhind covers that work really good. 

Best advice I have is to keep that positive attitude and know that its sometimes a trial and error with cding and not every baby is the same.  I've used cloth on 4 of my 5 and somethings worked for some and not for the others just depends. 
Jenn wife to Jamie 5/05 & Mommy of Kai (8),Zay (6),Liv(4),Brady (3),Max (9 months)& 2 dogs and 7 puppies, 5 bunnies, 48 chickens, and 16 ducks!   to,488px)div
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 3:28pm
Welcome!  And I say pooh on all the nay sayers!  I do prefolds and covers and some homemade wool covers with some cheaper fitteds for at home and I LOVE it!  People say that prefolds are hard, but after using them, I have to say they are way wrong!
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
 Post Reply Post Reply