Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

<update>Hard floor vac-got one!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 253 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: <update>Hard floor vac-got one!
    Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 2:56pm
Update below

What are you using?  I have a shark floor sweeper.  I was using the better model for years ($70), even though it wasn't super reliable & had to be replaced after about 1.5yrs.  I accidentally bought the simpler model this go-round, and am kicking myself.  Truth is, they are both decent for quick clean-ups, but don't take the place of a good sweeping that needs to be done about twice a week.  At least the better model had a side grabber thing.  The one I have now doesn't even get stuff on the edges under the cabinets.

We have a huge amt. of tiled floor, and I need to retire the broom because of dust allergies, and get something new that is super reliable.  Our upright vac. is decent but not great on edges and very heavy. 

I'd love a stick vac, but most of them get poor reviews, and I don't think a cordless will hold charge long enough to do more than one room.

I think a canister might have the easy stick part I want, but I'd like a canister that isn't a beast to roll around behind the stick.  There are a couple of Dyson ones that look good, but spendy.  Do you really have to spend $300 or more for something reliable that has super suction?

What about the ones you can wear as a backpack?  Anybody know about those?  Any quieter options out there? 

Edited by musicmama - 14 Jan 2012 at 7:55pm
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
Sponsored Links

mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 76 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 3:18pm
I really like my Swiffer Sweeper.  I have had it for about 4 years now and it is still going strong.  The charge doesn't last as long now but long enough for me to do our kitchen and bathrooms.

Occasionally I will use my regular vacuum on the bare floor setting and it does an okay job but I don't like using it all the time. 

Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
mairf View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
8 years 95 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mairf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 5:39pm
I LOVE my dyson canister.  I have the DC23 http://www.amazon.com/Dyson-DC23-TurbineHead-Canister-Vacuum/dp/B002NVRPM0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325453555&sr=8-2
I chose it over a dyson upright because  found it easier to maneuver.  I have half carpet, half wood and tile.  That thing sucks the dirt right out of the cracks.  The first time I used it in the living room  I had to empty the canister 3 times to get the job done.  I had vacuumed the day befre with my old dirt devil if that tells you anything.  It was expensive, but I really think it was worth the money as I have bought 3 other $100ish Vacs in the las 6 years that never worked as well, and did not last.  Of course I don't know what the life of this will be, but I hear good things.
Mary Beth, mama to Charlie (11/05) and Sam (2/10)

k
BrittanyM View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(61)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 60 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrittanyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 5:44pm
I have an Oreck and it works great on my hard floors, though I do have to sweep under the cabinets since it won't fit under there. If I was buying a vacuum again though, I'd buy a Dyson.
Wife To Timothy (Nov. 2007) and Mommy to Tirzah (12.31.08), Elijah (12.24.10) and Samuel (with Jesus, 1.19.13)   k <a href=http://mariapayd
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 218 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2012 at 5:51pm
I really love my Magic Blue canister vac. It is going on 4 years of hard use. I have mostly wood floors and a little tile. It is fairly light and easily follows you around. I also used to clean homes with my mom and this is what we used, too.

However, I hate the tile attachment it comes with. I buy the horsehair attachments or the plastic ones with bristles at the vaccuum store and they work wonderfully.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 262 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 12:36am
We've had a dyson animal for several years and it's great on carpet but I don't care for it on bare floors. I use a little handheld dirt devil dust buster for spot cleaning then sweep a couple times per week as well.
SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 68 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2012 at 8:11pm
we have a very old central vac system that seems to work well. i just hate our floor.
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 253 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 2:02am
Originally posted by Clare_S Clare_S wrote:

I really love my Magic Blue canister vac. It is going on 4 years of hard use. I have mostly wood floors and a little tile. It is fairly light and easily follows you around. I also used to clean homes with my mom and this is what we used, too.

However, I hate the tile attachment it comes with. I buy the horsehair attachments or the plastic ones with bristles at the vaccuum store and they work wonderfully.

Bummer, I boycott Sears because of some seriously awful customer service a few years back.  Those Kenmore vacs seem pretty good--I even had one & liked it before the bad experience.
Christine
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 218 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 12:13pm
Christine, so sorry you had a terrible CS experience. It is enough for anyone to boycott a company. That stinks, but I don't blame you! Oddly enough, my mom just had a great CS experience with Sears. She got a defective Magic Blue and they replaced it with an upgraded model.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
GoldenEmpress View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 252 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by mairf mairf wrote:

I LOVE my dyson canister.  I have the DC23 http://www.amazon.com/Dyson-DC23-TurbineHead-Canister-Vacuum/dp/B002NVRPM0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1325453555&sr=8-2
I chose it over a dyson upright because  found it easier to maneuver.  I have half carpet, half wood and tile.  That thing sucks the dirt right out of the cracks.  The first time I used it in the living room  I had to empty the canister 3 times to get the job done.  I had vacuumed the day befre with my old dirt devil if that tells you anything. 

We had the same exact experience when we bought our Dyson.  We had just vacuumed then used the Dyson, and oh my!  Our house was only a few months old at the time too, so it was REALLy disgusting to think that all that dirt had accumulated in such a short time. 

We have about 1/2 carpet and about 1/2 vinyl in our house, and we use the Dyson on all of it.  It is phenomenal at getting all the dog hair.  The hubby and I actually bought a new Dyson about a year ago and sold our 4 year old one for $100.  It's still going strong.
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 253 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 7:54pm
I got a Miele 768.  Big change from where I thought I was headed initially, but I think it's going to be a purchase that I continue to like.  My Mom & SIL both have had them for years and use them for serious cleaning, and both of them haven't had any real issues.  My test drive went well this afternoon.  The boys were both wanting to try it, too Evil Smile.  They'll get their turns soon enough!

A friend recommended a local vacuum shop, and he was great to work with!  He came up w/ lots of options for me to consider, including cheaper ways to go that would work almost as well, if that's what I wanted.  In the end, I chose to get a canister that would do not only my tile, but also my carpets.  It has a power brush head for carpet, plus one for hardwood & one for tile I got that separately.  One of the biggest factors for me aside from performance was noise.  I need to be able to use it while S. naps or after the DSs go to bed at night.

I traded in my old vacuum that I didn't like much anyway, and I think I got a pretty sweet deal (hard to say exactly by how much, because this model must be recently discontinued).  His prices were very good on vac's I could price match--competitive w/ the internet.  I bargained a little too because all he had was the display model (thanks, Dave Ramsey).  It was so nice to have a real person talk me through the different factors to consider, and the different types of vacuums that could do the job.  Honestly, I think of dept. stores & internet sites, and never think about the tiny local businesses and the personal, knowledgeable service you can get.  Plus, I didn't have to wait for shipping LOL
Christine
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(36)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 202 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2012 at 8:07pm
Sounds really nice! We love shopping at local stores like that, they have the best service & usually quality stuff.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
 Post Reply Post Reply