Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

PUL causing stink???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
misstia View Drop Down
P'interested
P'interested

Post Options Post Options   Quote misstia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PUL causing stink???
    Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 6:06pm
So I traded covers with another mom. I washed and stripped some prefolds used one with one of the new covers, no stink..... Then the next change I used one of my own, and what do you know, ammonia hmmm. Seems like with covers being so thin they would wash easy.... Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links

musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 150 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2011 at 7:34pm
Your own cover now has ammonia?   The dipes do?  Sorry, I'm a little confused. 

Seems odd that any PUL cover would put stink into a diaper, but strange things have been known to happen.  I think covers w/ gussets might hold on to some yuck, but it seems like the general cleaning you'd do w/ a pre-loved item would knock it out.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 113 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 9:18am
I would add a little bleach to my wash load with the covers if you suspect them to cause stink. Do they stink when freshly washed? They may need some disinfecting.

I had a cover rolled up with a poopy diaper that was left in my wet bag for a couple days, oops, and it held onto some major stink. It took several washes, bleach, and some sunning to get the smell out.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
mairf View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 357 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mairf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 11:49am
I have a couple covers that I can not get the stink out of.  They have been stripped with dawn, with RLR, bleached, soaked in oxyclean, sunned,  everything I can think of.  Everything else about them is in perfect condition, so I can't stand to throw them away, but I can't use them either because of the smell.
Mary Beth, mama to Charlie (11/05) and Sam (2/10)

k
jberrec View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(6)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 259 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote jberrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 1:15pm
I've heard of pul holding onto poopy smells, but can't say i've heard of
it hanging onto ammonia odors before. I guess I'd try stripping and see if that works.
Julie-

USAirForce Wife, Mama to DS1 (6), DS2 (4), DS3 (2) and another little one born in Feb
groupp View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote groupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 10:55am
I've had some with lingering poopy smells too but not ammonia. I started washing them with my regular laundry in tide and that seemed to work for the poopy. Sorry not much help.

Mary Beth--that's some serious stink.
wife, nurse, and mama to Jackson 4 y.o.

giada md
mairf View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 357 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mairf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2011 at 12:57pm
Yes, it is!  I'm at my wit's end and have take a cloth break. :(  
Mary Beth, mama to Charlie (11/05) and Sam (2/10)

k
 Post Reply Post Reply