Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Transitioning to cloth, recs for nighttime

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ksyoung44 View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote ksyoung44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transitioning to cloth, recs for nighttime
    Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 12:21pm
We have decided to take the plunge and switch to cloth diapers.  My daughter is now 10 months old and for several reasons, we are making the switch.  My big question is, what is a good system/diaper for nighttime?  I am not sure if her night wakings are due to her cold or the new cloth diapers (wondering if she feels the wetness).  Any suggestions for this first time CD momma? 

Sponsored Links

3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 12:24pm
What are you currently using at nights? My toddler has super sensitive skin and has to have the stay dry, so we usually use pockets with hemp soakers and a PF. Our youngest usually wears a holden's landing bedbug under wool or fleece and sometimes we use a fleece liner to keep him dryer if he's having issues.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
ksyoung44 View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote ksyoung44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 12:36pm
we are still in the trial phase, so trying out pockets, fitteds, prefolds.  Mostly pockets & fitteds at night.  She hasn't slept well the last several nights (also having both stools and wets) so we have been changing more frequently at night than usual or switching back to disposable at night.
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 21 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 12:40pm

I have two go to night diaper combos:

BG AIO  or Thirsties AIO.  I add either a pad folded flat or pad folded Medium size Prefold for extra absorbancy

GMD Workhorse fitted diaper w/a pad folded flat doubler under PUL cover (usually bummis whisper wrap)

The BG gives him stay dry and the workhorse lets me use aquafor if his bum is a little red from toxic poop
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 163 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 1:21pm
Whatever diaper I use at night, I always put a large fleece liner in there. I cut it in a contour shape, so it wraps around him like a diaper. Then, I put the diaper over it. It really helps him stay dry. My DS is 10 months, too. It has been hard to find him a night solution that will hold his output when he sleeps though the night, which hasn't been for a couple weeks :(
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 4:49pm
I just wanted to add to Clare's comment that you can buy cheap fleece and cut it to whatever shape you need.  No sewing needed either because it doesn't fray.  Try a really thin fleece for the stay dry effect.  I stretch it both ways and to make sure I can see light through it.  You want the urine to pass through it easily to the diaper, but it will still give the feeling of dryness to your LO. 

We have used Motherease Sandys (usually sized up from what we use during the day) with 2 extra doublers or a prefold.  Then either a fleece or wool cover. 
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 4:50pm
Also, night diapers are BIG!  I had to get over that when I first started doing cloth at night. 
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 163 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 4:57pm
Thanks, Christina for adding in the details I forgot! I think I'll give a bulked up L Sandy a try tonight.

And, yes. Night diapers are very fluffy. My kids never minded, though. Best of luck finding something.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
ksyoung44 View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote ksyoung44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 6:30pm
I definitely do not mind big at night! I will try the fleece, found some at the fabric store :). Thanks for your help

rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2011 at 9:25pm
Sounds like the rest of these mommas got it spot on.
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
Tallie323 View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tallie323 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 10:19pm
I, too, am considering switching to CD at night-time. My sister sent me to this site to get more information, and I really appreciate reading everybody's responses. There's nothing like personal testimonial to help a new CD momma get started!
mommy2five0406070911 View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommy2five0406070911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2012 at 10:36pm

Welcome!!! Feel free to ask anything to the ladies here they are wonderful with the information!!!  CD's for us at night never were a problem and non on my kids seemed to care if they were wet until I got to Max who is 6 months now and BG 4.0 pockets are now our night time diaper because of the stay dry!  Goodluck!

Jenn wife to Jamie 5/05 & Mommy of Kai (8),Zay (6),Liv(4),Brady (3),Max (9 months)& 2 dogs and 7 puppies, 5 bunnies, 48 chickens, and 16 ducks!   to,488px)div
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 12:50am
i like using gcloth over a thirsties hemp prefold. gcloth has fleece topped hemp, very soft and helps keep LO dry. i also do not give my 10 1/5 month old liquids 1-2 before bedtime. i just make sure he gets plenty of daytime liquids/formula with his 3 meals and still nursing 4 times a day. it has helped that we stopped the nighttime bottle a few weeks ago- less leaks with nighttime diaper!
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 12:51am
... i meant, no liquids 1-2 hours before bedtime :)
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 12:52am
ps. he sleeps 8pm-7am, a miracle!

michiganmom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote michiganmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 2:16pm
I use a fitted nighttime diaper (etsy shop soothebaby) and then a polar fleece cover over top (also purchased from etsy wildchildforbabies).  This has worked wonders for us.  I have just recently purchased a lightweight wool cover and Im hoping it will be a bit cooler for my DS.  

It took a long time for me to figure out a nighttime solution and I will confess i still sometimes use a disposable diaper if I havent washed one of the 2 overnight diapers that I have (they are $$ so I buy them as I can afford them)....good luck.  Ive tried many combos and many didnt even last through a nap...I think every baby is different but the combo above worked for me.

Post Reply Post Reply