Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | Starfish03 | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

Cookware recs?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 200 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cookware recs?
    Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 7:04pm
I'm in the market for new pots and pans. But I'm at a loss as to what to get. Right now I have a mix of cheapo stuff. A few pieces that are aluminum w/ porcelain enamel coating. We have electric coil stove top...and the porcelain enamel gets 'burnt' where the coils are. I'd much prefer a gas range but I don't know that will happen anytime in the near future. So what do you recommend? What are your favorites? They can't be too expensive, as they're going to be a Christmas gift from my dad. I was thinking Paula Deen but it's also the porcelain. Maybe stainless steel? Or should I just ask for 1 or two pieces of cast iron and start building that up?

TIA Big smile
Sponsored Links

taowensf View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(163)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 89 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote taowensf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 7:16pm
I was at Cracker Barrel last night and their cast iron (Lodge, which is GREAT stuff!) was all 25% off--and it's not very expensive to begin with! 
~Tess~
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 200 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 7:22pm
Thanks, Tess! Maybe I'll send him there ;)
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 203 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 7:33pm
I was going to say cast iron too. Half a dozen pieces would be the same as a single piece of good stainless. I used to be anemic and need iron supplements but not since I started cooking maybe 50% on cast iron.
Wife to my Air Force husband and SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 200 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2011 at 8:05pm
To add to the initial question - what do you think are the 'essential' sizes of cookware? I know I want/need a 3qt & 6qt but am wondering on the 7qt. The bigger one I have - I don't know what size it is. I guess I could fill it up to find out.  And skillets - what are the sizes used most? I have 3 skillets and 1 that has the double handle and lid, but I don't know what sizes any of them are! Seriously, all my cookware is a mishmash of stuff given to me and cheap stuff we had to buy when we PCS'd to Louisiana and the movers didn't pack our pots/pans!

So I have added to my wish list thus far:
3qt & 6qt dutch oven
11in skillet
12in deep skillet w/ lid
8in skillet
6.5in skillet
Mama Roxy View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Perennial Pinner
7 years 86 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mama Roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 6:20am
I'm not stuck on matching sets of anything so I customize my cookware. Lots of sized cast iron skillets, dutch oven and a pancake skillet. I prefer buying old used ones as I like the quality better. One good large SS frying pan with lid. SS saucepans in many sizes with very tight fitting lids and one 8 and 16 qt SS pots. Unless you don't mind cooking on low to med heat setting I'd steer clear of porcelain cookware. Requires to much care for my cooking style. 
Roxy
"Are you old?" asked by Ari my then 4 yr. old GD to a older woman in a store. The lady replied "yes" Ari then says..."I can tell by your face". EEK!
Dec1st View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dec1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 10:49am
Originally posted by taowensf taowensf wrote:

I was at Cracker Barrel last night and their cast iron (Lodge, which is GREAT stuff!) was all 25% off--and it's not very expensive to begin with! 

I love, LOVE me some lodge cookware!  It heats so evenly and keeps the food warm on the table!  AND if you have a total fail / burnt on food issue, you can scrub it with steel wool and run it through the clean cycle on the self cleaning oven... then you are good to reseason and start over.  The only thing is teaching you family not to "put it in the sink to soak"....  Although I have successfully saved cast iron from that too...
Erin B: mom to Ellie (Nov 2008), Stepmom to C (1997) and V (1996), wife to an amazing man

My Blog
taowensf View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(163)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 89 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote taowensf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 2:13pm
Originally posted by Mama Roxy Mama Roxy wrote:

I'm not stuck on matching sets of anything so I customize my cookware. Lots of sized cast iron skillets, dutch oven and a pancake skillet. I prefer buying old used ones as I like the quality better. One good large SS frying pan with lid. SS saucepans in many sizes with very tight fitting lids and one 8 and 16 qt SS pots. Unless you don't mind cooking on low to med heat setting I'd steer clear of porcelain cookware. Requires to much care for my cooking style. 

Um, this is my house! Roxy, did you take my cookware?! LOL

Yeah, we have maybe 6 different sizes of cast iron skillets, as well as a pancake one and a bacon one. One cast iron pot/dutch oven, and the rest of our pots are stainless. I think we have 6 of them in various sizes, and one stainless skillet that we haven't used in...3 years maybe?

Half of our cast iron is Lodge, the other half was either DH's grandma's (all rusted out looking, but we saved them!) or a piece or two that we lucked into another way.
~Tess~
jberrec View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(6)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 305 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote jberrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 4:28pm
We have a 12" skillet and are getting a new 10" one for Christmas. Personally I really can't see needing a smaller one. We have some smaller cheapo ones now that never get used so they're actually holding up great. Wink What do you cook in a smaller skillet?

I do like my 6.5 qt dutch oven and wish I had a 3 qt one.

As far as saucepans I haven't tried them, but have one from this line http://www.amazon.com/Wearever-Strain-Stainless-10-Piece-Cookware/dp/B0002T1T3G/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t on my wishlist. 

Julie-

USAirForce Wife, Mama to DS1 (6), DS2 (4), DS3 (2) and DS4 (baby)
taowensf View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(163)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 89 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote taowensf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by jberrec jberrec wrote:

We have a 12" skillet and are getting a new 10" one for Christmas. Personally I really can't see needing a smaller one. We have some smaller cheapo ones now that never get used so they're actually holding up great. Wink What do you cook in a smaller skillet?

I do like my 6.5 qt dutch oven and wish I had a 3 qt one.

As far as saucepans I haven't tried them, but have one from this line http://www.amazon.com/Wearever-Strain-Stainless-10-Piece-Cookware/dp/B0002T1T3G/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t on my wishlist. 

I forgot about our double reversible griddle! Yes, we have that too. Tongue

We cook loads of stuff in smaller skillets--dh makes eggs every morning for himself, so that's a must-have for us. We also bring it to MIL's when we travel. Her non-stick stuff is all scratched up. Yuck.

Also, we don't have a microwave, so we reheat leftovers all the time in our smaller skillets--I think we have 4", 6", and 8" ones.
~Tess~
Dec1st View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dec1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 4:53pm
That is a nice reversible griddle!  I don't have anything like that..
Erin B: mom to Ellie (Nov 2008), Stepmom to C (1997) and V (1996), wife to an amazing man

My Blog
Mama Roxy View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Perennial Pinner
7 years 86 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mama Roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 4:58pm
I don't think I stole yours Tess, but I'm not always in controlWacko when it comes to cast iron. Currently have 3- 8" skillets. Yes, I use them all. Three smaller one, a bigger one, a square one with handle for cornbread or bacon, a big dutch oven and a  round flat skillet. I have a cast iron waffle iron that has a fire ring that sets on the stove.  I had 4 8" but I gave one to my son's wife when they married in Sept. I fretErmm over that darn gift wondering if they are taking proper care of it. I'm just not going to snoopEmbarrassed in their cabinet even though I want to.  I actually have lots more SS that I don't use often.  I have the hardest time walking away from a good cast iron pan when I find one at a flea market, yard sale, etc. They speak to me. One of my biggest regrets and it was totally impulsive was selling my 14" cast iron skillet because I just never used it much because of it's size. It would fry two chickens at one time. Wished many of time that I still had it with my big growing family. 

Edited by Mama Roxy - 28 Nov 2011 at 5:01pm
Roxy
"Are you old?" asked by Ari my then 4 yr. old GD to a older woman in a store. The lady replied "yes" Ari then says..."I can tell by your face". EEK!
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 15 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 8:36pm
i love cast iron!! almost all my skillets are, i have one SS one and one big non stick chef saucepan type thing. i want to replace that chef thing but it was the first gift that dh ever gave me that i liked.
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
cowboyswife View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote cowboyswife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 12:28pm
I replaced all my non-stick stuff with SS and cast iron...I have a glass top stove and I wouldn't want all cast iron partly because of the weight being much more likely to hurt the stove if I drop it and partly just because its hard to handle...SS is much lighter for sauce pans/stock pots, etc.  My set is Cuisinart - not their cheapest line, but the stuff that has SS lids and stuff too - I love it!  I hardly ever have to turn my burners above medium because the heat transfer is so much better than non-stick stuff.  
~Heather
Wife to T and Mommy to two on earth and two in heaven.
Using my "spare" time to do a little sewing - www.facebook.com/createdbycowgirl http://www.cowgirlscreations.ca
asvueldo View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote asvueldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 4:16pm
We have always had cast iron skillets for stove top as well as baking in addition to two copper bottom/stainless steel pots my MIL gave me when they got a new set. They have worked beautifully! We use the cast iron dutch oven the most, for making chili, stew, soup, casseroles, baked anythingSmile

One of the SS pots is large enough to boil potatoes or pasta for six people while the other is small enough for rice or the rare time when we need to cook a smaller meal.

Edited by asvueldo - 16 Dec 2011 at 4:17pm
Christina, mama to three boys, born 2005, 2007, and 2010.
My Homeschool Blogto,488px);div
mommyjessica View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 12 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 10:35pm
my question is where can i get good ss pans? i don't get out much.

i have one cast iron skillet, a large ss pot, a medium ss pot and a small ss pot plus a small and medium non stick. oh, and  a medium non stick pot. i NEED more pieces and to replace the non stick. they are getting old and i think one might be scratched. i also have very few baking pieces. i needed this thread!
Jessica- Wife to Jared, Mommy to Tiffany Eve- born gorgeous 12-31-07, Emily Jane- born lovely 5-10-10, Lucy Renee- born beautiful 10-3-12

Post Reply Post Reply