Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

preemie prefold vs. newborn prefold as a doubler

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AndreaKim View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote AndreaKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: preemie prefold vs. newborn prefold as a doubler
    Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 6:05pm
Does anyone use a newborn prefold as a doubler? Do you find them too thick or do they work just fine?
Proud breastfeeding, cloth-diapering, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, stay-at-home mommy to my preschooler and baby. And I'm an Army wife. I love my husband!to,488px);}
Sponsored Links

stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 159 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 7:17pm
I never could use a nb prefold as a doubler. too thick. preemies work great though! 
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
AndreaKim View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote AndreaKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 7:37pm
How many doublers do you think I'll need? Baby is not here yet but I'm thinking I might want to get some from the seconds sale GMD is doing in December. I'm already thinking in terms of using prefolds through potty-training btw, so you have more of an idea of maybe how many I'll need.
Proud breastfeeding, cloth-diapering, co-sleeping, baby-wearing, stay-at-home mommy to my preschooler and baby. And I'm an Army wife. I love my husband!to,488px);}
stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 159 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 8:05pm
Are you asking about each size? Or just preemies?
If I had the perfect prefold stash, it would be:
18 preemie prefolds (I never used those solely as diapers, they were way too small for my newborns)
30 newborns
24 smalls
24 mediums
18 larges (which you may never use, so wait on that)

Or you could do flats and only get 24 smalls and 24 larges and be done with it. The smalls could be doublers as well, once you need them.
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 41 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 1:12pm
I use a GMD NB PF as a doubler at night under a workhorse or inside a BG AIO/ OS Pocket.  I haven't found either to be too bulky.  I have a dozen.
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
AndreaKim View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote AndreaKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 2:12pm
Oh! Ok! Maybe I'll just try that then. I'll try using a NB PF as a doubler on my 3 y/o before I order any preemie PFs.
kingapat View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 173 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote kingapat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 2:56pm
I love our imagine pf (from nickis diapers)  in xs size for doublers. They are a little thicker (3x6x3) than premies(2x4x2) but not as thick like regular pf (4x8x4) Just in between-perfect for doublers IMO.
DD 8/96 DS 10/04

DS 9/08 DS 3/10 DD 9/11 DS 3/14
AndreaKim View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote AndreaKim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 3:44pm
GMD's preemie prefolds are 2x6x2 btw
kingapat View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 173 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote kingapat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by AndreaKim AndreaKim wrote:

GMD's preemie prefolds are 2x6x2 btw

Oh, yes...I got that wrong the preemies are 2x6x2 ...I just know that they are thinner than the imagine ones. I have some preemies that I used to use as a doublers (LL, GMD, and cotton babies), but since I got the one from nickis diapers I like the much better for that reason.
DD 8/96 DS 10/04

DS 9/08 DS 3/10 DD 9/11 DS 3/14
 Post Reply Post Reply