Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Have you saved $$?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
jmcder View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmcder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have you saved $$?
    Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 10:39am
Hi I am new to this board. I have a 2 year old and am expecting another LO next year. I did not CD with ds but would like to give it a shot this time. I have been doing a lot of research and am wondering do you really save any money after all the diff diapers you buy and covers and laundry det. (I make my own) and pre rinse and wash. It just sounds like your detergent bill, water, and electric would make up for the money saved on not buying diapers. Any thoughts on this?
Sponsored Links

hleannie View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Perennial Pinner
4 years 212 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote hleannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 12:49pm
Welcome to the pin and congrats on your new baby! 

It all depends on what kind of diapers you buy and where you buy them.  I have saved $, alot of it now that my DS is 2.  I bought cloth diapers on clearance/seconds sales, bought some used, and made some from flannel and fleece that I bought on clearance at a fabric store.  I wash them in homemade detergent and/or diaper safe detergent that I wait and buy when it's on sale. 

I have not seen a noticeable increase in my water bill from washing diapers.  I do alot of laundry anyway, and adding four wash cycles a week (2 wash days, and I run the whole cycle twice for diapers) has not changed the big picture.  I line dry diapers and alot of other things whenever I can so I'm pretty frugal about running the dryer. 

I will admit that I could have spent as much or more on cloth as I would have on disposables, but I had to restrain myself.  LOL  Buying cloth diapers and accessories is fun and can be addicting but if your focus is to save $ you can definitely do that too. 
Heather =]
Look! I finally fixed this signature!
stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 98 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 2:08pm
If I'm being honest? NO, I haven't saved money...but it's all my own fault. Embarrassed I was pretty addicted to buying/selling cloth diapers for a long time, and finally settled on the cheapest stuff! I LOVE prefolds, flats, and Green Mountain Diapers Workhorse Diapers..and a few PUL covers. You can do cloth SO stinking cheap, to the point that you would start saving money in just 3-4 months even with a full stash of flats and PUL. HTH!

Right now my stash is as follows..and very simple/versatile.
Dozen prefolds
2 Dozen Flats
Dozen Workhorse diapers
Dozen covers
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 3:29pm
I think there are lots of variables, esp. your particular utility costs. But i'm pretty sure if you just stick w/prefolds or flats (which we all end up going back to in the end...) you'll most likely be saving. 1. cause they're less expensive to start. 2. cause they don't need as many cycles to rinse/dryer time.
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 122 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 3:44pm
Yeah, mine is a big fat NO!

But, like Jessica said, it is my own fault. I had fun obesessing over my diapers for a while, bought, and sold a lot. I tried a lot of things out there and spend a lot of $$ doing it...way more than I would have spent on sposies. BUT....I had a blast doing it and now I know what I love. And, I love the cheap stuff! I use mainly flats, sometimes prefolds, a few inexpensive but absorbant fitteds for naps, and 1 expensive fitted for night for the baby. I spent the most $ on trying different covers.

I will see savings with the next baby. I worked on a full stash for 2 kids up front, so I have all sizes now from birth to potty in the items I love.

As for utilities costs...I use cloth diapers, family cloth (cloth toilet paper) and kitchen cloth. We buy no disposable paper anymore. I do a load of diapers daily and kitchen cloth every other day. My water bill has increased maybe $5/month! I don't see a difference in my electric bill. I do line dry my laundry 75% of the time, though.

In short, you can save money for sure! Only as long as diapers don't become your new hobby. And, it started as saving money for me, turned into something fun to shop for and try new things...and now it has morphed into a content stash which will save me money from here on out.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 122 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by ambrose ambrose wrote:

I think there are lots of variables, esp. your particular utility costs. But i'm pretty sure if you just stick w/prefolds or flats (which we all end up going back to in the end...) you'll most likely be saving. 1. cause they're less expensive to start. 2. cause they don't need as many cycles to rinse/dryer time.

Yup.
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 345 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 4:00pm
I would say I have probably broke even on DS2.  I have bought almost all diapers used.  Just a few new.  It can be done very cheaply with PF and Flats and PUL Covers.  I am okay with not saveing a ton of money since it has been fun and I liked trying new things.

When we have the next one I will definalty be saving money.

Our water only went up about $5.00 but I am not convinced it was soley washing diapers, electric/gas didn't change at all.
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
BrittanyM View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 331 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrittanyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 4:07pm
I'm sure I've saved money even though I spent way more than necessary. I've diapered my DD birth - potty learning (at 2 1/2) and DS from birth - 10 months and running. I've used a lot of diapers with both and our washing costs have not been much.
Wife To Timothy (Nov. 2007) and Mommy to Tirzah (12.31.08), Elijah (12.24.10) and Samuel (with Jesus, 1.19.13)   k <a href=http://mariapayd
spendie View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote spendie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 4:12pm
As far as the gas/water/electricty bills...there has been no increase, if so it is so insignificant.  You really only adding a couple extra loads of wash., its not like you are filling up a swimming pool...(which we do every summer)If done right and frugally, you can absolutely save money.

Jen-
Mommy to four
Chloe-5/98, Calvin 1/01, Cailey 2/07, Chase 1/11
horseymama View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(17)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 119 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote horseymama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 10:25pm
I have absolutely saved money. I started with prefolds and PUL and tried one pocket and two different fitteds. Decided I loved prefolds for the simplicity so I stuck with them. I added flats when DD was 4 months. I have spent some on wool, though not as much as most because I made a lot of DD's longies last year from recycled sweaters. I didn't try lots of any of the expensive dipes. I found I did like having pockets for church and quick outings so I bought a few shells used and super cheap and stuffed them with my flats.

We are on a well so no water increase and the electricity has been negligible. I do buy all-natural detergent but get it on sale and would have had to buy it for DD's clothes anyway.

Now that DD is day-potty trained I should back and add up how much I actually spent. My guess is somewhere around $400-$500 total for two years of full-time diapering. So yep, I saved a ton of money!
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(38)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 108 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 10:34pm
I have definitely saved money. Stick to simple diapers (cotton) that are easy to wash and don't wear out as quick and you will see savings pretty quick.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(17)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 232 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 10:47pm
I have saved money.  Totally.  I'm estimating that my expenses for the extra laundry are between $1 to $1.50/load depending on how much I run the dryer.   

If a sposie is anywhere from $0.15 to $0.35 per sposie and you go through 5 to 12 diapers a day depending on the age/stage of your LO.  Your expense on sposies can run between $0.75 (5 dipes@ 0.15) and $4.20 (12 dipes @ 0.35) per day.  So even if I buy the cheapest sposies for the child that uses diapers the least, I still am breaking even with cloth. 

My 2 yo is going through about the 5 diapers a day, so much harder to spend money on dipes for him.  But I also saved so much more on him when he was going through 8 to 10 diapers per day.  And now his little brother is wearing most of his old stash. 

I know that I spent a little more than I should have trying to find a night diaper combo to work.  Expensive fitted + Expensive wool cover + expensive doublers= CRAZY MONEY down the tubes!!! But i did find a pretty cheap option after trying a few things and I recouped some money on reselling the stuff that didn't work.   
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 54 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by erinchelsea erinchelsea wrote:

I have definitely saved money. Stick to simple diapers (cotton) that are easy to wash and don't wear out as quick and you will see savings pretty quick.

Agree!

for washing I do a rinse, wash, rinse and that is it. Flats dry in about 30 min. and the few fitteds I have I just hang dry the rest of the way. I really have not noticed an increase in my utility bill. As for the diapers, the less you try out and change the more you can save. I started over 3 years ago and no that I have saved a lot! My sister started with her 3rd DD and between us and 4 kids now (2 for each of us since we started CDing) rotating the diapers around as needed we have saved a lot of money! PF's and Flats and basic fitteds and the savings can be found pretty quickly.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
BabyRN View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote BabyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 11:34pm

Yes, absolutely save $$ here.  I use a lot of flats/prefolds, buy almost everything that I purchase new as seconds or on major sales.  My landlord pays for our water now, but when we owned our own home and paid our own, I didn't notice a difference.  My wash routine is pretty simple: wash cycle with an extra rinse. 

Beth, Mom to Sugar Bum and the Cupcake!n giada md
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 343 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2011 at 11:59pm
I have totally saved money. Harry is my second in cloth FT and he is using all of his bros older dipes.
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
Esseltess View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
2 years 312 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Esseltess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 12:32am
I did sposies on my first baby, and for the first 7 months on my second. I spent $2000 on Costco boxes of diapers for 2.5 years of diapering(that doesn't include the emergency drugstore trips when I ran out). That money is just gone - plus I would try to "save" by leaving them in the diaper as long as possible (there is a new thread on that *guilty*) so I feel better about cloth diapering now that I can just change whenever without worrying about $.

I'm starting out now CDing my 9 month old and prepping my stash for #3. So far I have spent $358 and I have a full time stash for my 9 month old, back ups for my 3yrold at night, and 1/2 a stash for a newborn. I bought new, mostly sales, and a few used from Craigslist. My stash is mainly pockets and fitteds with wool and PUL covers. I think you could spend way less than that by doing the workhorse/prefold recommendation posted above or by buying all used.
DD 11/08, DS 01/11
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 122 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 8:59am
I thought about it some more last night, and with 2 in full time diapers buying Luvs from BJs would probably cost $75ish/month? Since DS was born 9 months ago, that would come out to $675 and I haven't spent that much on CDs since them. I guess I forget how much even the cheap sposies add up.

Edited by Clare_S - 26 Oct 2011 at 11:21am
jmcder View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote jmcder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 9:25am
Thanks everyone! This was nice to hear. This will probably be my last child so I'm pretty sure I won't be re-using for another child and that's why I was wondering if just doing it for one would save much. Thanks for the tips!
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 54 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 9:42am
Even CDing for just 1 can really save, if you keep it simple. DH always laughs that when they are a NB is when cloth really pays off - so when they go through 5 diapers in 5 minutes you are not just throwing them away.

If you keep it simple it could really pay off and the nice thing is that when you are done, you can sell what you used.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
MomBeck View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote MomBeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2011 at 10:28am
I've saved thousands over the years using cloth! Even if you just use them through one child, you'll be able to resell your diapers and recoup about 60% of cost. And as far as water goes, I've read that it's about the same amount as an adult uses flushing the toilet so you'd be adding that in eventually anyway, right?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>