Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Have you saved $$?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
thirdtimemomma View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote thirdtimemomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 7:05pm
think of it this way, once you purchase your stash and use it for one child for the next one its ONLY detergent, water and electric your spending. Chump change if you ask me.
~Vicki~

Wife of 1 Mom of 7:
10 9 6 4 3 1 and 5-29-12!
Sponsored Links

Natashska View Drop Down
P'interested
P'interested

Post Options Post Options   Quote Natashska Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 10:11pm
We definitely have and we're at 8 months.

We have mostly Bummis Prefolds which we got in the box (we asked people to get us that as a shower gift instead of diapers) with the giant wet bag, liners, cover, etc. We also have a few thirsties pockets and EasyFits for sitters. Overall, we've spent at the most $300 on diapers/detergent/accessories, and then were gifted a bummis box. We bought everything new because my DH is creeped out by used diapers. My son went though 19 diapers a day for the first 2 months (that's not counting the diapers he soiled before we even finished doing them up. So it wasn't hard to save money quickly.
thirdtimemomma View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote thirdtimemomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 11:23am
I just reread this whole post. Whoops! On ONE kid you could REALLY SAVE!

Like check out this awesome package from Nicki's Diapers..
http://www.nickisdiapers.com/imagine-smart-fit-prefold-diaperpackage.htmlhttp://www.nickisdiapers.com/imagine-smart-fit-prefold-diaperpackage.html

24 prefolds in each size (small, medium, large)
4-6 covers in each size
Diaper pail
Diaper Pail Liner
Deo Disks
Total: 254.70!

OR the Bummis boxes are excellent as well.

Infant box $186
Baby box $169
Total $355
and you get 2 wetbags, fleece liners, flushable liners, and sometimes freebies!

Then the OS pocket diaper sampler package is $68 and gives you 4 pockets to try!

Either of hte prefold packages and the pocket diaper sampler should get you through Birth to Potty for under $500. That would be my goal for one in diapers, to spend under $500 from birth to potty. That would insure your savings!

Other great sites to check out:
Clothdiaper.com (birth to potty for $200)
Fuzzibunz package from Kelly's Closet $404
4 Flip packages would be $200
Kellys closet has the Bumgenious either AIO or OS pocket for under $500 as well.

~Vicki~

Wife of 1 Mom of 7:
10 9 6 4 3 1 and 5-29-12!
rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 1:23am
I keep a running tab on my diapers, and even after buying a whole stash of BG3.0s for DD and then giving them away to my SIL so I could buy a new stash guilt free I have saved money. Between 2 kids I've spent about $700-800 CDing. This is compared to the price tag of what I would have spent PER child until PLing and my DD PLed before her second bday.  I could have spent way less, but I too have tried a bunch of different things. I do think that most things resell pretty welll, and I disagree with mommas being so finicky about poo stains. I've bought diapers with faint stains on them, and while I try to keep my own diaps stain free it doesn't bother me to buy stained diaps from another momma (unless they are horrible).  My water and electricity bill hasn't gone up very much either. 
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 1:27am
I keep a running tab on my diapers, and even after buying a whole stash of BG3.0s for DD and then giving them away to my SIL so I could buy a new stash guilt free I have saved money. Between 2 kids I've spent about $700-800 CDing. This is compared to the price tag of what I would have spent PER child until PLing and my DD PLed before her second bday.  I could have spent way less, but I too have tried a bunch of different things. I do think that most things resell pretty welll, and I disagree with mommas being so finicky about poo stains. I've bought diapers with faint stains on them, and while I try to keep my own diaps stain free it doesn't bother me to buy stained diaps from another momma (unless they are horrible).  My water and electricity bill hasn't gone up very much either. 
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 1:27am
Tracy_S View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 103 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tracy_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 2:08am
Probably will break even, if we have only one child.  (Hoping to have more, but DS took quite a bit of work/drugs...)  When I take into account trying out different diapers and different "systems" (fitteds with cover, pockets, AIO, etc.) and all the accessories (diaper pail liners, wipes, wipes warmer, wet bags, swimmi, spray bottles, CJ's, wool, etc.), it adds up!  But several of the accessories are very useful for non-diaper related stuff.  I love my wet bags for many things.  And wipes are great for noses and hands too.

Another variable is that we use disposables over night and at other times for convenience.  (DS can't stand being wet and so if we are in a position where we can't easily change him - like a long car ride - we opt for peace of mind.)

Tracy
honeybee1999 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote honeybee1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 6:05pm
Since DS2 was 6 months old (when I started CDing), I have spent about $400 on cloth diapers and accessories. That includes a cloth diaper package from Jillian's Drawers (the $10 trial...I ended up keeping all of the diapers because I loved them...so about $155 for a mix of pockets, some prefolds, covers, a Snappi, and a hybrid), then I bought two dozen prefolds from GMD at around $30/doz (don't remember the exact amount and they've gone up since I purchased them), five Thirsties Duo Wrap covers at $12.25 each, two more BG 4.0's at $17.95, a pail liner and wet bag at $16.50 each, and three Kawaii pockets at $10 each. Plus a few things like creams, detergents, an extra Snappi, and wool wash when I was trying out wool (but I crocheted my own wool soaker so that cost me about $5 in wool yarn and a crochet hook with a 50% off coupon). I made my own cloth wipes out of old receiving blankets, so cost for wipes was $0. I haven't seen a difference in electricity usage with washing and drying diapers (electric dryer), and we are on a well so no increase in water costs. I do still keep a small package of sposies around for church, babysitters, and bad rashes or when I'm feeling lazy and that usually lasts 2-4 weeks, so about $12 a month for the past twelve months is about $144. Grand total about $544.

For disposables, when my DS1 was a baby, we bought the expensive Pampers Swaddlers for the first 3 months, and changed him probably 10-12 times per day (before every feeding). So around $70 per month for the first three months, total $210. After about three months we switched him to the Costco diapers, which cost about $40 per box of about 200, which we went through about one per month, at a conservative estimate. So from 3 months to when he potty trained at 2 years and 9 months old, that's $1200. That doesn't include wipes. We mostly used the Costco wipes, at I think $18 per box, which we went through every 2 months, so probably a total of about $300. Grand total about $1710.

So yeah we've definitely saved money with cloth diapering...$1166 so far is quite a bit in my book.  DS2 isn't close to potty training yet, but I don't foresee needing to buy any other cloth diapers before he does, as he is a similar size to DS1 and he remained the same size in diapers from a little over a year old until he potty trained. And all of my diapers are still in great shape. I had to convert one BG 4.0 to snaps because the Aplix came off, but otherwise they're all looking like they'll last until potty training. I might need to buy more rash cream and detergent, but that's a small expense.

Hoping to try for baby #3 in a few months, and I'll need to get a stash for newborn to 6 months old if the Lord blesses us then. My goal is to spend no more than $300 for prefolds, covers, and a few fitteds for the early weeks.
oliverandedie View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote oliverandedie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 2:31pm
No. And I've been called on it.
But, you totally could save money if that was the intention, and you had willpower and no internet connection.
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 215 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by oliverandedie oliverandedie wrote:

No. And I've been called on it.
But, you totally could save money if that was the intention, and you had willpower and no internet connection.

How true!
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
threekstrio View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
10 years 43 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote threekstrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 5:19pm
Yes, I have saved money using cloth over disposables. But could have saved more using some of the already mentioned tips! Wink 
honeybee1999 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote honeybee1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 7:14pm
Hah, I just realized my comparison wasn't really fair as I only compared from when DS2 turned 6 months old against DS1's entire diapering costs. So, knocking 6 months off the beginning on DS1's diapering costs, we spent about $1323 on disposable diapers and wipes, so a difference of $779 so far.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123