Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Diaper Chatter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Items for Baby and Mom

Members,
Any thread initiated to promote a company or product that has a current incentive for posting in forums is considered a misuse of the forums and will be removed immediately.  Be sure to read our forum posting policy BEFORE posting on our forums.  Take special note of the following rule:

a. It is acceptable to provide information about a business or product in answer to a question, however threads that are initiated primarily to promote a product, business, or outside discussion list will be treated as SPAM.
Points issued: 5

Thank you for your cooperation,
Diaper Pin Mod and Admin Team

Fitted stash and goodmama (hype?)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Esseltess View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Esseltess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fitted stash and goodmama (hype?)
    Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 2:34pm
I am looking to buy more of a stash and I am on the hunt for some fitteds.

I came across these rave reviews for good mamas, but they are crazy expensive! What's so great about them?
I find some people claim its hype and others have nothing but good things to say - plus resale value looks good.
I would probably only get these used if I was going to get them but are they the bestor should I just go with some other options.

So far I am looking at pooters (hemp), kissaluvs 0, sandys, maybe some graham wear bear and mutts

Looks like the kissaluvs are only raved about in size 0 so I was thinking of a few of those
Has anyone compared any of the other types?

I will have some AIO and pockets and some prefolds in my stash and I wil be CDing a newborn and a 1.5yr old
Any thoughts on what could work for both or be the longest lasting option?
One sized fitteds and a few NB fitteds were what I was thinking i needed to add most.
DD 11/08, DS 01/11
Sponsored Links

mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 71 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 2:38pm
I really love my GMD workhorse fitted diapers.  I have a couple goodmammas I like them but would never pay that much for a diaper when there are plenty of others out there that are way cheaper.

Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
Esseltess View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Esseltess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 2:47pm
I was thinking of gmd workhorses, I wanted to order from that company - they seem so awesome - but I was worried that just cotton wouldn't cut it for long.
I don't feel like having a different daytime and nighttime stash (my husband changes dipes and hates complication)

Do the GMD workhorses do for overnight, or are they just good for newborns? I heard pooters hemp can do overnight (sandys too) so I was leaning towards getting more of those kinds for after the newborn stage.

But! I am also getting a few for just the newborn stage so should I consider GMD instead of kissaluvs size 0?
DD 11/08, DS 01/11
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 71 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 2:53pm
I have used the workhorse for the last 4 to 6 months.  Can't remember exactly how long I have had them.  They hold up great.  they get used for both day and night here.  I put a pad folded flat as a doubler under PUL for night time. 

My DS2 is 2.5 yrs, 33lbs and 36in (I think).  Browns work great for during the day and I can use them at night but I do have greens now for night time. 

We are trying for #3 and I plan on getting workhorse in all sizes. 
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
spendie View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote spendie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 3:24pm
I wasn't CD'ing at the time of the GM hype.  But I have had plenty of really awesome fitteds for cheaper from other makers.
Not sure if cost is an issue, but I really love my one-size bamboo terry fitted from Sustainablebabyish.  Actually I love all of her products. ;)  http://sloomb.myshopify.com/collections/cloth-diapers/products/snapless-multi-contrasts

Another fantastic fitted is Under The Nile.  Super awesome for nights.  GMD sells them.
ANd of course, you can't go wrong with the workhorses.  They don't have that name for nothing! 

Have fun shopping around.  It is fun to try new things.
Jen-
Mommy to four
Chloe-5/98, Calvin 1/01, Cailey 2/07, Chase 1/11
oliverandedie View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote oliverandedie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 3:30pm
I also love my workhorses; but as a good, practical diapering staple that is reasonably priced. I don't have any goodmamas, but I did cave and get an Orange, which to me is pretty pricey for a diaper.
But, it is soft and oh so cute; and fancy for out and about changes when you get to show off and advocate all your great cloth. Unfortunately, only a pin mama is going to be impressed by your shiny new red-edge!
KL0's are nice for the fit and the umbilical snap-down. But, when it was time to sell mine off, I was not sad at all.
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 213 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 4:03pm
My fav fitteds are Workhorses, Wallypop, and Mandi's Menagerie F&L (for night). Sandy's are up there, too for daytime. All nicely priced, high quality, and absorbant. I will only pay a high dollar amount for a great night diaper. I just can't bring myself to spend any more than $12 for a single diaper.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 4:07pm
I love my Goodmamas. Now I'll admit I purchased most of them when there weren't as many "imitators" out there. And we're using them on two kids. I think these days there are a lot of comparable products, but all that bamboo velour and bamboo fleece is pricey. As someone who buys those materials to make items you're still going to be paying over $20 for fitteds in those materials. And the price of bamboo is going up again this winter. For the tiny stage I prefered pre-folds.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 213 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by 3boysMom 3boysMom wrote:

And the price of bamboo is going up again this winter.

Bummer. I do love bamboo! Fabric is not cheap.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
fwesson View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote fwesson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 4:14pm
I used the back in the day an still use the 3 we have from '08.  IMO, they were/are hype.  The knockoffs are better made sometimes.  They also aren't  the best design.  I hate that I wasted so much time stalking those suckers.  The comaraderie I had with the GM ladies during stalking was awesome though.  That, I don't regret.
~~Farrah~~

Parker~14, Abby~12, Spencer~10, Charlotte~6,, Cooper~4, Margaret~2, & Tucker ~12-31-10.

"The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept."~George Carlin
newmominmaine View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote newmominmaine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 4:51pm
I bought quite a few last yearish- the prints were too much for me to resist!  I wish I hadnt invested in such a large stash of them, not because they arent nice, but DS developed an issue with serging.  It is sort of crappy too, because I bought a lot of older prints NIP or EEUC only, then we used them long enough that they are not soft or squishy anymore, and a few of the prints faded in washing, so to sell them ill take a pretty big loss when I only used them 6months or so.  Im hanging on to them, only because im attached to the prints... need to let them go! 
Alex- SAHM to 3 amazing Bonus Children Olivia 5-97 Savanna 11-99 Billy 3-02 and my beautiful boys Westley 1-10 and Wyatt 6-12. Blessed and lucky to be with Billto,488px)div
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 5:26pm
personally i only do all-cotton now.

I had one GM, negs: exposed snaps, serging. (though i guess they have some T&T now)

If you're curious give one, or something similar, a try. I will admit bamboo velour is crazy yummy.
MomBeck View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote MomBeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 5:43pm
I like bamboo, but I wouldn't invest so much in GMs. A lot of peole are afraid to wash them well enough for fear that the prints will fade and they'll loose value :( If you like bamboo (which is awesome!) I'd suggest trying a Bamboozle, or MEOS or Sandy's in bamboo. They're much cheaper and hold up really well.
Esseltess View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Esseltess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 9:26pm
Thanks for all the tips.
I have a few NB sandys in bamboo and they are so soft! I haven't used them yet so I can't comment on that but they feel way nicer than the regular cotton sandys.
Is that the difference -mainly- then or does bamboo absorb better too?
DD 11/08, DS 01/11
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 257 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 9:57pm
I had bought a whole bunch of them 2.5-3 years ago when I was building up my stash. They were sooooo expensive but they were really cute. I then realized I didn't need or want $500+ worth of fitteds so I sold all but two of them, which we still use. Since they were so popular I was able to sell the unused, still in the package diapers for more than I paid. I used the money to pay for all the rest of the diapers we needed. Those goodmamas paid for the majority of the stash we still use so I guess I'm biased when I say I like them.

I now have the original two I kept and one more that I bought, it matches DH's uniform so I couldn't resist. I don't think they have a great resale value once they've been used. They're not as popular as they once were and they show a lot of wear pretty quickly. The bamboo on the inside of all of ours are now a sherpa texture and there are threadbare spots around the serging and snaps (not a problem on the turned ones). We haven't used them much because they're so super bulky, especially with a cover over them, but they do hold better than any other diaper when used without a cover to clear up rashes. The last problem is only an issue with the serged version, the snaps leave red marks and the serging can irritate the baby's skin if they're worn for a long time. On a good note, they are big for a one size fitted, my 33 pound two year old still fits in them fine. They're still a bit bulky on barely 20 pound DD2.
SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
sunnymom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 138 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 10:23pm
We have 10 old GMs and still use them on dd2. all were purchased secondhand. we also have infant and premium tinkle traps prefitteds (they were around a while before the workhorses came out), cotton and bamboo sandys in xs, small, and large. and prefolds and flats. sandys and tinkle traps are my favorites, followed by prefolds and flats, then GMs are last. I use them because we have them and they work well enough. Though they are great for coverless time. The fit was better on tall skinny dd1 and it is wonky on shorter chunkier dd2. dd2 is maybe 20 pounds now and they just started to fit her fairly well in the past few weeks. containment is better with tinkle traps or sandys, in my experience... And the fit of sandys and closureless tinkle traps is waaay more flexible too. All just my opinion though.

One thing about bamboo is that it is most absorbent once it loses the silkiness and is more sherpa-ish. it is still soft but definitely doesn't have that super smushy lushness they possess right out of the bag. (i sew with obv and loooove the smushiness :P) so if that is a big thing you like about it, just know that it doesnt last too long...

Our bamboo sandys are starting to bald and i can see right through some of the patches of fabric. The cotton-poly blend sandys are not balding at all. All were purchased or recieved as pin mama gifts secondhand in very similar condition and around the same time. I didn't notice any difference in absorbency between bamboo and cotton sandys before the balding began.

one other thing - goodmamas and other thick fitteds are sometimes a real pain in the rear to wash and dry. I don't take GMs when we travel because i'm never sure if the water will make them stink, dryer will take forever, etc. A padfolded flat or even hemp babies little weeds with a preemie pf on top has worked great for nights for my 11month old and day-PLed 3yo.
Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
sunnymom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 138 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 10:25pm
Ha, apparently liz and i feel kinda the same about goodmamas. :-)
Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 10:41pm
I have never tried GM, but I have a couple of fitteds that we use that I love. The Babee Greens company makes an organic cotton and a cotton/hemp blend one-size diaper. (I have only tried the OC because I prefer cotton, but I use hemp doublers for night.). It might be really nice to have one diaper that will work for both. The up front costs are higher, but you're not using a bunch of sizes.

I have two UTN that I bought used. I like them and they're definitely absorbent and fit for a long time. They are thick and I don't use them during the day much because of the bulkiness. They're super for coverless time. (unless you have a LO who likes to rip off Velcro.)

I think my current favorite fitted is the Loveybums organic cotton velour. So soft and squishy. They are sized fitteds and pricey. I wait for sales b/c I decided that $20 is my limit for a fitted.   They do have a large weight range.

I also like our GMD workhorses and they work just fine for overnight if you add to it. They do clean up great. You just have to buy lots of sizes, but people are always looking for them used.

Rambling here....
Esseltess View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Esseltess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2011 at 11:05pm
I guess I want a diaper I can resell for a decent price that I won't have to baby or worry about!
I think the GMs are out.
The workhorse sounds good and I will check out those others people have mentioned.
That's too bad about the bamboo losing its softness :( I won't go out of my way for it then.
Hemp sounds good as well, pooters has a hemp fitted for $12 ea that gets good reviews but I don't know if it will resell well

How do the sbish hold up over time? That brand seems to hold its value well.
DD 11/08, DS 01/11
Tracy_S View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 103 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tracy_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2011 at 1:04am
I had all Kissaluv 0 for my fitted newborn stash.  (Plus a few PF and AIOs.  But fitteds with covers were the majority of the stash.)  I really liked them.  Plus, it was easy to have a bunch of one thing for husband and grandparents to learn how to CD. 

For my next size up, I have branced out.  Got half a dozen Kissaluv 1, half a dozen red-edge workhorses, 2 Under the Nile, and half a dozen Sandy's.  Here are some reviews for each.

Kissaluv 1 - Overall, I really like it.  I got mine second-hand (but unused) so they were only $7 each.  But retail is like $14.  They wash up nicely (like the KLOs did) and are easy to use.

Workhorses - They were the least expensive ($8 each, new) which was great.  I am a little concerned about the longevity of the snaps.  They are not as high-quality snaps as Kissaluvs.  Plus no lifetime snap guarentee (like Kissaluvs).  Also, you have to be a bit more careful putting it on to make sure the tongue is straight.  But overall it seems good.

Under the Nile - I haven't actually used this yet (trying tomorrow for the first time), but they took much longer to dry than any other fitted diaper I have. Plus they were relatively expensive ($15).  Hope the good reviews are warranted.  I got a Disana wool cover to pair with it as several people said this was their go-to nap/night combo. 

Sandy's - I haven't used these yet either because they are huge!  I got the large size, which might have been a mistake as it may take a long time for them to fit.  I do like the package I got which included 6 diapers, 2 MEAF covers, and some inserts for like $100.  The diapers seem to be very high quality. 

I saw the s'bish fitted but couldn't bring myself to pay $25 for a single (fitted) diaper. 

Tracy 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>