Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Cloth diapers for daddies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
sunnymom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 138 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 9:47am
Congratulations and welcome to the pin!
We used snappied prefolds or flats under pul or wool on both kids. DH was fine with them. An in-between option would be prefitteds like tinkle traps our gmd workhorse without closures (use a snappi or pins). They will give you the easy washing of prefolds with the containment of fitteds and they're pretty inexpensive as fitteds go.
Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
Sponsored Links

oliverandedie View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote oliverandedie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 10:50am
My DH would prefer a pre-stuffed pocket, or an AIO. When I started diapering, we purchased a lot of one sized pockets thinking--as you suggest--that it would suffice through potty training. Kawaii, if you want to go that way, does make a quality diaper for the relative cost. That said, I would prefer a stash of natural fabrics (pf's and flats for day and fitteds for night) wool, a few PUL covers, and a minimal supply of convenience diapers (a velcro pocket or AIO) for unfamiliar caregivers. Your husband will use whatever you have at hand, and that's what he will likely prefer. My DH likes pockets because that's the one we started with. As I incorporated variety, he got a little overwhelmed (pretty easy, you'll see if you catch the bug and start wanting to try different things.)
rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 11:20am
Congrats and welcome to the Pin!

I agree that it's variety that will kill a DH. If you just have one or two systems then your DH will be just fine. I know, at one point I had every different kind of fitted, covers, flats, PFs,  and wool and DH never knew how or what do with it.

Since I've simplified things he's so much happier. He can fold a flat and snappi it like a pro but he reaches for HIS diapers first. I have about 8-10 AIOs for him, which he really likes. The Bumgenius elementals are OS and awesome because they are natural cotton super absorbent and easy to wash.  I have Sandy's fitteds and wool for myself. But I also have a few PUL covers and flats for occasions where I want that (like when I wait to wash all my wool on one day)

I agree that most OS diapers do not fit newborns, even my DS who was 9lbs 2oz at birth didn't fit the OS diapers until he was a bit bigger.  I used snappied prefolds/flats with covers for DS when he was a newborn and it worked perfectly (snapping is very easy, especially because it means less covers and mess to deal with).  For the next baby I have I'm probably going to rent the newborn fitted system from mombecks just to save time/money.

Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
ShannonM1976 View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote ShannonM1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 1:56pm
My DH reaches for BG Elementals first.
Married 2 the best man on earth
Mama 3 girls & a boy
Surromom boy 6/18/05
Birthmom boy 8/31/00
Life Changes
RNflower View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote RNflower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 5:45am
Congrats on your little one!  I have never tried Kawaii, but love thirsties.  I just fold a flat in half, then in thirds.  It fits perfectly inside.  I leave them prefolded in a basket for my husband.  Then he can just slip them in the thirsties cover and he's good to go.  For diaper changes I have a little storage container with a locking top.  It has water and vinegar in it.  I dump the diaper and cloth wipe right in there, then I wipe the cover out with a wipe and it is dry and ready to go for the next diaper change.  We'll have to see if I need to modify once baby is off of breastmilk and on solids, but right now it's working well.  I found I liked the selection at Oh Baby Baby (www.montealegremall.com) and green mountain diapers (www.greenmountaindiapers.com)  Hope that helps : )
Tracy_S View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 103 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tracy_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2012 at 1:21am
Another option: do you have a good cloth diaper store in your city or nearby?  I live near Vancouver, BC and one of the stores based here holds seminars to introduce people to CDing and all the different systems.  They also have a rental system to try out different things.  This could be a good use of an afternoon - hold and try everything and see what appeals to DH. 
My DH (who was never fully on-board to start with) has become quite resistent to cloth because I have too many different diapers and systems. Oops. Ermm But I do most of the diapering, so I figure it is good for me to figure out what works for our baby.  One day hopefully I will arrive at stash contentment and focus on one or two types of diapers...
Tracy
chocmom View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote chocmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 1:20pm
My DH prefers the Fuzzi Bunz or HAppy Heiny pockets.  And I have to make sure the insert is already there so he doesn't have to "do" much.  Good luck!
~ DS7, DD6, DD 2.
~ Thinking about #4 giada md
Esseltess View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Esseltess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2012 at 3:16pm
I asked my DH what he liked out of our stash and he likes the AIOs.
Aka: bum genius elementals
He doesn't like folding or stuffing

But he said that the most important thing for him was NOT having to learn about multiple different styles.
Get one type that your DH can learn how to use (simple) and stick with that.

I think a few other people said the same thing so I'm guessing this is a common DH thing ;)
DD 11/08, DS 01/11
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 8:51pm
my DH likes pockets/aoi with our 10 month old right now. but i would like him to learn the prefold and snappi for our new addition in June!
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 8:51pm
AIO and AI2's!
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 2:28am
Originally posted by englishteacha englishteacha wrote:

So we're expecting our first baby this spring, and today my husband said he wouldn't mind cloth diapers.  I was shocked, but also delighted.  He's going to be baby's main caregiver during the school year (he works from home).  I'd love some input from people actually using cloth diapers.  The last time I used cloth was 17 years ago when I was a nanny.  (Pins and plastic pants, poor kid.)  With a cover with a folded cloth diaper, do you need pins or those clip things (a Snappi, I think they're called)? Can you really just lay the diaper inside the cover and wrap it around the baby?

I discovered pocket diapers tonight while doing some research and these seem very user friendly, especially for a dad who has a tendency to be a bit impatient.  I found a site that has one-size, adjustable Kawaii pocket diapers very reasonably priced, so in theory we could get them and they would last until baby is potty trained.  They've gotten excellent reviews.  As long as they don't leak, they seem like a great option.  I don't mind the initial extra expense.

Please help! Thanks!

sunbabydiapers are a more trim as well as less expensive "one-size" pocket diaper and will definitely fit average newborns (7-9 lbs). i don't think they will fit past 25 lbs. worth at least baby's first year! once baby starts getting mobile and you get A LOT more familiar with CDing, you'll have new preferences :) you can resell dipes or store them away for next babe. there are plenty of prints to choose from but they only come in snaps. order early, it takes 2-3 weeks, sometimes longer, for shipment to arrive.

otherwise, i agree with most folks on snappi'd or fitted (workhorse, tinkle traps, hum bums) prefolds, not padfolding, for newborns up to 3/4 months b/c of the runny poos. great diapers and great resale value.
zsoka View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote zsoka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 7:16pm
My DH is on board with us using cloth as long as it was easy for him to change the diaper.  I like PF and covers but for him I have a few NB AIO's and some OS AIO's for later.
kcanstef View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote kcanstef Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2012 at 7:29pm
we are on our second baby cloth diaperiing my husband surprised me and hated aio and pockets i must say im glad :) prefold with snappi his favorite and mine for new born then best bottoms at about 2 1/2 months and up :)
lawahine View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote lawahine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 4:01pm
I plan on starting with prefolds and flats with snappies and covers, but I could tell my DH was getting anxious about that. GMD Workhorse diapers were recommended here for me and another similar type from GMD. These eased DH's mind since they are more like a sposie. So I would totally look into those. Green Mountain Diapers is a great site with lots of product info.

I'm waiting to try pockets and AIO (if I do them at all). I've heard here and elsewhere that they can be tricky depending on baby's size so stocking up on one kind can cost you in the end because you may end up hating them.

My plan is to look into grab bags, trades and buying used when I am ready to start experimenting.

Edited by lawahine - 20 Apr 2012 at 4:02pm
Tanaya
Writer/Photographer
Wife to wonderful Ryan
Mamma to 3 fur-babies: pittie Bella (8) and kitties, Ashes (10) and Stinky (16+).
Expecting 1st human baby 9/9/12
mykaylis View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote mykaylis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 8:02pm
i prestuff my AMP pockets for him. i've been using prefolds and wraps lately but i haven't gotten much interest on his side, probably because DD squirms so much, he wants something as simple as possible. he loves the snaps, which is  nice. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12