Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Introduction to Cloth Diapering
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: txmom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Wool Newbie..... some questions!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
strawhouse View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote strawhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wool Newbie..... some questions!
    Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 6:29pm
Hello all!
I'm new to using wool covers, I've got 2, but I love them. Fall is here, and it's COLD, so I've decided to get my baby girl some wool longies.
I'm wondering what you all do for care and washing?
Do you like felted or knitted longies? If I'm buying used longies, is there anything I should watch out for?
I'm fairly good at sewing too, and might make her a pair, (whenever I have time!) and I'm wondering about sewing an extra layer in them to soak up more.
Thanks everyone for your help!
Sponsored Links

samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 7:06pm
Welcome to wool! It's awesome.
To care for my wool I wash about once a month. I simply fill a basin with warm water add some Dr. Bronners and soak for 30 min. I rub any dirty spots or stains gently with olive oil soap. No need to rinse but sometimes I do. I follow by lanolizing. Fill the basin up again Add to a cup of boiling water a drop of soap, and a tsp. of lanolin mix well and then mix into the basin of water. Add woolies inside out. Soak for 2 hours up to overnight. Roll loosly in a towel to absorb excess water and lay flat to dry. Sounds like a lot but it is no effort unless your standing there watching itLOL
I have recycled (felted), knit, and interlock and they are all nice in their own way. My preference is knit just because I like the look. Interlock is nice because it can be machine washed.
I don't know what you should watch for buying used. Maybe check that the people you are buying from have good reviews. I'm sure others will come along with some good ideas. Wool is awesome for our cold Canadian winters although I'm out west so we just get wet wintersTongue
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
raspberry View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote raspberry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 12:00am
It is getting cold isn't it.    We've started using our wool longies again.  I made ours from the sleeves of sweaters I felted from Value Village, it was really cheap and easy if you have sewing skills!  I used the bodies to make soakers and shorties too.  There are lots of tutorials online.  If they felt up well you don't even really need an extra layer in the soaker zone IMO.
Wife to Adam (9/01)
Mummy to Kara (7/06) and Nolan (2/09)
strawhouse View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote strawhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 9:11am
Thanks guys! A friend of mine who makes and sells wool soakers / longies gave me a pair last night..... I'm excited to try them. And I'm going to look at some used ones next week.
I still can't beleive how easy they are.... I feel like nothing should be that easy! :)
I like your washing method samsmum, no expensive, purchase online only products.
How many of them are you lanolizing at once with the teaspoon of lanolin? And how full is the sink?
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by strawhouse strawhouse wrote:

Thanks guys! A friend of mine who makes and sells wool soakers / longies gave me a pair last night..... I'm excited to try them. And I'm going to look at some used ones next week.
I still can't beleive how easy they are.... I feel like nothing should be that easy! :)
I like your washing method samsmum, no expensive, purchase online only products.
How many of them are you lanolizing at once with the teaspoon of lanolin? And how full is the sink?
This is why I like Dr. Bronners. It's cheap, easily available, and it works. I ususally only lanolize one item at a time because I'm worried about dyes running but you could do similar colours together. I find that the 1 tsp per item is good. It seems like more than others suggest but I never have to use lanolin spray or add lanolin between washes. I buy my lanolin here http://www.voyageursoapandcandle.com/Lanolin_Anhydrous_USP_p/62096.htm because it's close to home and I can pick it up myself. Cheaper than Lanisoh as well. As an added bonus to the lanolin DS legs are usually nice and soft when he wears his longies LOL
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(17)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 232 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 10:13am
Originally posted by raspberry raspberry wrote:

It is getting cold isn't it.    We've started using our wool longies again.  I made ours from the sleeves of sweaters I felted from Value Village, it was really cheap and easy if you have sewing skills!  I used the bodies to make soakers and shorties too.  There are lots of tutorials online.  If they felt up well you don't even really need an extra layer in the soaker zone IMO.

I have been doing this also.  It's a great time to find wool at the thrift stores.  Go for the men's section as you can get more sweater for your dollar. 

I've found that the cashmere sweaters aren't as great, absorbancy wise, but they make really great leg cuffs and wasit bands.  They are oh-so soft, so I do have some cashmere longies because I couldn't resist.  Thye still work, just not the same. 

I also prep the sweaters, so I can machine wash them. Warm wash and about 20 min in the dryer on low.  Then I start cutting and sewing. 
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(17)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 232 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 1:49pm
Michelle, Why do you let them soak so long? 
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 3:09pm
I don't know. I guess so that the lanolin will really saturate the wool and when the water cools the lanolin that is in the fibers will solidify. I have no idea if there is any truth to that but it's my theory LOL
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(17)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 232 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 4:08pm
I like that theory!  Sounds good to me.
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 11:47am
I have a combination of interlock and hand knit longies. I have some sweaters I intend to repourpose. My to-do list is never ending! I'm super lazy, so I machine wash (on gentle)all my wool with whatever wool friendly soap I have around. I lanolize my like colors together in the bathtub. Fill it up with tepid water, and I have a squeeze bottle I fill with hot water and my lanolin then squeeze it into the wool and let soak. After they soak I squeeze out the water and throw them into the washer for a spin cycle to really get the water out then set them out to finish drying.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(17)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 232 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 10:41pm
Machine spin is another good idea, that I never thought of.  Thanks Sam!
mmollett View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mmollett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 12:32am

S/O:What are your favorite brands?  Options seem daunting!!

mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(17)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 232 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 2:30pm
I'd post in Diaper Chatter, asking about brands, you'll get a ton of responces
 Post Reply Post Reply