Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Washing a thick multi layer cotton/velour fitted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
BabyRN View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote BabyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Washing a thick multi layer cotton/velour fitted
    Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 4:14pm
So, after 3 years of cloth diapering, I've never had a laundry issue before today.  I bought some new thick fitteds to try out (the Rearz smitten that were on Babysteals.com a few weeks ago), and have primarily been using them as night diapers.  The diaper itself is pretty bulky, all cotton with a velour-like inside, a terry outside, and a tongue style stuffer.  I further boost the absorbancy by stuffing it with hemp.  DD is 3.5 months old, but she sleeps 12 hours at night, so from the time she gets changed for bed, actually gets put down to sleep, and wakes up in the morning and changed, it's more like 13ish hours in one diaper.  That's A LOT of pee. 

My issue is this: I smell my diapers as I take them out of the washer and into the dryer.  One of these fitteds came out of the wash still pee-smelling.  I turned it inside out and put it back in the wash, along with the other fitted in that load (it didn't smell....but I figured it I would wash it again just in case).

Does anyone have any experience with getting these things clean on the first washing?  My routine generally is wash cold with the recommended amount of detergent (the same stuff I use on all our clothes as I've never been a fan of using a teeny-tiny amount of some special 'safe' detergent), run an extra rinse, then dry.  I've never in 3 years had a problem getting a diaper clean this way, though I have never used a really thick fitted before, I admit.  I also can't remember if I put any bleach in the load (I do every few loads).  Was this just a particularly pee-soaked diaper (since the other one was okay)?  Am I always going to have to wash these an entire second time?  That seems like a big waste of resources for 2 measly diapers, since I was every other day.  Ideas?
Sponsored Links

Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(32)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 32 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 4:28pm
Well, it shouldn't be too hard since it is a natural fiber diaper. Maybe take that bad boy outside and blast it with the hose? Then wring it really well and put it in your washing machine like normal. Maybe an unconventional way of doing things, but I hose diapers outside all the time.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), and a baby boy coming in May.
BabyRN View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote BabyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 4:41pm
Hmm, it's a thought!  I wonder if my shower would have enough force to blast the pee out?  It would certainly use less water.
KellBello View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote KellBello Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 4:42pm
I find it helpful to rinse (or even soak) night-time diapers after taking them off in the morning - either in a sink or bucket. If you soak it, you can add a little bit of baking soda or vinegar.

Also, do you not use any hot water in your wash routine? I could never get away with washing my dipes on cold. I'd have stinkies for sure. :)
Kelli
Wife to Chuck (06-25-05)
SAHM to Isabelle Ann (02-03-08) & Quinn James (12-13-10)
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(32)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 32 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 4:49pm
Yes, try washing your load on hot. It may do the trick for you.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), and a baby boy coming in May.
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2011 at 8:25pm
Warm or hot water should help.

I have also found that for my thick nighttime fitteds, it helps if I rinse in the sink in the morning. I let it (plus whatever doubler i've used) soak in just water for a few minutes and then drain. I run faucet water over it and squish it around a little with my hands. This gets a lot of the pee out. Then I refill the sink, adding already diluted vinegar from a spray bottle. Then it sits until whenever I have a chance to drain, rinse and wring. I have found this to help a lot, and the vinegar has helped neutralize the ammonia. Then I wash as usual. I periodically add a small amount of bleach to the wash which also helps. (i don't worry about the vinegar and bleach reacting together because the bleach isn't dispensed until any residual vinegar has already been pre washed and washed from the diapers.). If I forget to refill my vinegar in the bathroom, I don't bother with it and just use water to rinse.
BabyRN View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote BabyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 4:52pm
Thanks everyone, I'll give the tips a try.
 Post Reply Post Reply