Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Diaper Chatter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Items for Baby and Mom

Members,
Any thread initiated to promote a company or product that has a current incentive for posting in forums is considered a misuse of the forums and will be removed immediately.  Be sure to read our forum posting policy BEFORE posting on our forums.  Take special note of the following rule:

a. It is acceptable to provide information about a business or product in answer to a question, however threads that are initiated primarily to promote a product, business, or outside discussion list will be treated as SPAM.
Points issued: 5

Thank you for your cooperation,
Diaper Pin Mod and Admin Team

*I'm feeling crafty*

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
swrlgrl105 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote swrlgrl105 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *I'm feeling crafty*
    Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 3:32pm

I am getting ready to make DS some doublers for his overnight issues. seeing as our current situation isnt working so well and the actual overnight diapers are pretty pricey, I will have to aquire them slowly.   I am going to try my hand at making doublers to go with my PF's and use a cover instead of my pockets.

DS will wake up if he feels wet, so I need a stay dry option and I know fleece works well for that. 

What are some ideas for making doublers to go against his skin?  Such as materials and # of layers for each?  Keep in mind -heavy wetter and he is only going to get bigger LOL!

thanks!
Sponsored Links

northwoods View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 4:48pm
I have some home made hemp fleece ones I really like.  They are two layers, sewn into a 14x14 square.  I left one side unsewn to speed drying.  I fold it into thirds to lay in my fitteds, but it would work just as well in a prefold.  They are a home-made version of these

I lay a fleece liner on top.  You could sew the fleece right to the doubler I suppose, but a separate fleece liner makes laundering easier. Especially for night diapers which tend to get really stinky.

The simplest solution for you might be to trifold a second PF to lay inside a fastened PF, with a fleece liner on top.
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(13)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 160 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 6:16pm
Northwoods gave great advice.  I've done doublers a few different ways & with different materials.  They all work pretty well.  I think there are pricey mat'ls like Zorb & bamboo-hemp, but if you are just starting out, basic cotton, bamboo or hemp are fine. For the stay-dry, you can use basic microfleece from an inexpensive blanket or from a local store.  If it doesn't say microfleece, get a look & feel for it to determine if it's on the thin side.  Anything really thick may not let the urine through.  If you shop at Joann's, you can try Alova Suedecloth or crushed panne as your stay-dry option.

Have fun, and don't be afraid to stop by our Creative Corner sub-forum.  We like to be helpful!
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote swrlgrl105 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 9:32pm
awesome thanks guys!  I am going to go shopping this weekend and see what i come up with...Thumbs%20Up
CherryBaby View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote CherryBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2011 at 9:44pm
I made a bunch of doublers from old receiving blankets and flannel shirts from Freecycle and the thrift back before I actually started CDing and didn't know what I was doing LOL They were basically free and served their purpose although I know they're not the most high tech! Have fun!
groupp View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote groupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2011 at 4:09am
I've made some long narrow 3 layer doublers and some more square 13x15in ones. I just used cheap fleece from walmart and cut up and layed inside for the stay dry. I liked hemp terry and sherpa but also made some out of MF too.
wife, nurse, and mama to Jackson 4 y.o.

giada md
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote swrlgrl105 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 8:16pm
i just went to JoAnn fabric and the one in my area doesnt carry and hemp or bamboo fabric..  bummer!  where did you guys find yours?   Now in addition to the night time issue, he is soaking through his daytime diapers... up hill battle LOL!  so i am working on finding a trim, yet absorbant solution for that too so his daytime diapers arent HUGE.
groupp View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote groupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2011 at 8:42pm
I got mine from Wallypop. She also has web site diaperFab that sells diaper fabrics, elastic, touch tape and such. There are several different sites hers was a little cheaper when I was looking. Some of the doublers I made from MF I used heavy MF towels from Walmart auto section cut it up to the size I wanted and zig zagged the layers together. Good luck finding something that will work for you. Sorry you're having such issues. I remember those days of soaking through everything.
wife, nurse, and mama to Jackson 4 y.o.

giada md
 Post Reply Post Reply