Forum Home Forum Home - Announcements - What's New
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Mothering: Lactation and the Law

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
jessmomto2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2008 at 10:07pm
I was so P.O.'d when i heard about it.  NY even has a law that allows women to go topless!  They can ask you to cover yourself, but they can't make you.  I don't know how they thought they could arrest her!
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
Sponsored Links

marblessed View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote marblessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 10:54am
a new incident:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25353789/

I am told there is a federal law protecting nursing mothers, allowing them to nurse anywhere, they normal have freedom to be, on federal property.

yuck!
Mom to bear (4) and Bell (8mo) ... and our newborn girl, Jade Isabellato,488px);}");
Fluffy View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote Fluffy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2008 at 4:03am
Reading this stuff just makes my blood boil.  What is wrong with people?  It's a boob, get over it!

I hardly ever cover up when NIP and on occasion will use a lightweight nursing cover, depending on who's around.  My immediate family (parents, sister, grandma) could care less - they were all bottle-feeders, but I broke them in with my first dd 13 years ago, lol, so they're used to it now.  I generally get the baby latched without revealing much of anything, and then my t-shirt drapes to cover the rest once baby is latched.  I actually don't mind NIP at all - I'm more inclined to cover or feel weird when I'm with friends/acquaintances who are weirded out by breastfeeding.  The general public can just bite me, iykwim.

I've never, ever been harassed for bf in a public place, though I once got a very dirty look from a sour-looking clerk at a DMV b/c I nursed my 2 y/o dd.  I usually don't NIP much beyond age 18 to 24 mos, but she was fussy and cranky and bf was the only way to quiet her down. 
ryansmom View Drop Down
P'interested
P'interested

Post Options Post Options   Quote ryansmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2008 at 6:19pm

I can't say I care if anyone looks at me if I am NIP, but how weird to have someone come up and say " we have a nursery". That would probably bug me.  I've never noticed anyone BFing in public, but I hardly go to the mall, maybe I just have my head in the sand. Anyway, good job everyone for taking care of your babies!

trulyprecious View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote trulyprecious Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2009 at 2:42am
I am late reading this but the info is great.  Some of my friends who are not yet parents are put off by nursing but I cover with a light blanket and have made a habit to just NOT pay attention to those around me.  DH is supportive and what I care most about is what is best for my LO.Approve
Dec1st View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Dec1st Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2009 at 3:02pm
I NIP.  My DD won't let me use a cover up.  When she was two months old I had one old lady come up to me and complain "You shouldn't be doing that here!   It's unhygienic!"  I was in a food court.  I was stunned for a moment then burst out laughing.  She left in a huff.

It was my only negative comment.  On the other hand, I've had five or six people come up to me to cheer me on.  Which in a weird way was more awkward because I want to concentrate of nursing, not talking to a stranger.

I'm aiming for the WHO gold standard of two years, but I will be interested to see if I get more negative comments as she gets older.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12