Forum Home Forum Home - Family - Parenting Talk - Toys, Games, & Baby Gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Baby Carriers Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Bike helmet for 3-4 year olds

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
northwind View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(18)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 141 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bike helmet for 3-4 year olds
    Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 10:25pm
We got ODD a balance bike for her birthday, so we're looking for a helmet to go with it.  I was trying to order from Amazon since I have GCs there, but I'm having an impossible time figuring out what is going to fit her!!  Her head is just under 20 inches around.  I'd like to get 2, since YDD has a tricycle that she's pretty darn good at (indoors only, so far).

Anyone have a favorite?  How do you figure out sizing options??  The ones I was seeing on Amazon that were listed as Toddler had a lot of reviews that claimed they were too small for anything older than about a year.
Katie
Mama to Sylvia (5.5), Penelope (4),and Rosalie (1.5)k
Sponsored Links

Mom2Miles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 124 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mom2Miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 10:42pm
I bought Bell helmets for both my kids around the age of 3 and both needed the 5 year old size if I remember correctly.  I know they needed the next size up according to the age on the package and they are both 50 percentile or so for head size.
Laurie, SAHM to Miles (7) and Leah (4)

There's no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one. ~Jill Churchill
Mom2Miles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 124 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mom2Miles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 10:44pm
I got both mine at Walmart.  I know Target carries them too, but they were cheaper at WM.  If you have one close by, you could run in and try them on them.
Laurie, SAHM to Miles (7) and Leah (4)

There's no way to be a perfect mother and a million ways to be a good one. ~Jill Churchill
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 39 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2012 at 10:55pm
i had to go in and try them on in Canadian Tire.

It's such a hard thing to buy. Good luck!
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 1:07am
Gah! I wrote a response and then my stupid new computer frozeUnhappy

Anyway long story short I have had a hard time fitting DS and his head isn't all that big so I would recommend trying one on. DS doesn't fit the Bell 3-5 and he's only 2.5.
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
mttav View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(60)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 164 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mttav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 3:56am
if you can find a health fair happening somewhere near you, they often have bicycle helmet fittings and get you good helmets for super cheap.
Mom to T (8), M (6), S (3), and X (tiny) and wife to my BFF.

sunnymom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(26)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 125 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunnymom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 8:48am
Originally posted by Mom2Miles Mom2Miles wrote:

I got both mine at Walmart.  I know Target carries them too, but they were cheaper at WM.  If you have one close by, you could run in and try them on them.

Yup this. For us as long as the helmet fit reasonably well around, it was more about adjusting the straps well to keep it snug
Mama to E (9.2008), K (11.2010), O (11.2012)

Maker of organic solid lotions, balms, sunscreens, and insect repellent at On Hand Lotions
rebekahc View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rebekahc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 9:11am
Same as others, we got our most recent helmet at Walmart.  It is a Bell True Fit which is a design that allows for some "give" in the way it fits their head, so there is not an adjustment around their head, it's done automatically with elastic.  The one I linked to is $21, but their are other colors of the same helmet on Walmart website for $16.  Anyway, this is what we got Naomi with her new bicycle for her 4th birthday.  When we got her a balance bike at a younger age, we bought a Giro helmet that was the same design, and it was twice as much.  We like it too, but the Bell one seems just fine.
Rebekah ~ mother to Naomi Ray (8/30/07) and Leah Kay (09/09/09), married to Paul.

www.thecarswellfamily.blogspot.com
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 50 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 9:23am
ditto others.  We bought them at Walmart.  I had no idea on size.
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 9:31am
We use a Bauer lil' sport helmet. It's actually for winter sports, but without the face mask it works really well for biking. It seems more secure on his head, but it is likely a little warmer than a bike helmet
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 10:34am
We've bought ours at Target - same as the others, tried them on to be sure they fit right.  I think it might be pretty tricky to buy online.
mairf View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
8 years 65 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mairf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 11:13pm
Sam has this one in boy colors.  I love the adjustment dial on the back so you can put it on loose and adjust it to fit just right easily. http://www.amazon.com/Schwinn-SW75915-2-Toddlers-Carnival-Helmet/dp/B0030RSBH4/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1338947931&sr=1-1
Mary Beth, mama to Charlie (11/05) and Sam (2/10)

k
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 124 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 11:37pm
I just get helmets at WalMart and they work great. DD picked hers out it is a unicorn and she was thrilled
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
HC in KC View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 187 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote HC in KC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 9:58am
DS has the toddler size Cars one from Target (same one available at Walmart). I'm not sure if it is Bell or Schwinn brand. I think as long as the age rec is appropriate, you can order what you like. The one he has has good adjustability, too.
Holly
love my DH (est. 5/06), sweet ODS (12/08), and itty YDS (7/14)
 Post Reply Post Reply