Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Diaper Chatter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Items for Baby and Mom

Members,
Any thread initiated to promote a company or product that has a current incentive for posting in forums is considered a misuse of the forums and will be removed immediately.  Be sure to read our forum posting policy BEFORE posting on our forums.  Take special note of the following rule:

a. It is acceptable to provide information about a business or product in answer to a question, however threads that are initiated primarily to promote a product, business, or outside discussion list will be treated as SPAM.
Points issued: 5

Thank you for your cooperation,
Diaper Pin Mod and Admin Team

Coconut oil - how long to keep?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sprouts Mama View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sprouts Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Coconut oil - how long to keep?
    Posted: 14 May 2012 at 4:22pm
How long can you use coconut oil once it's been opened?  I bought a container and since a little goes a long way, I'm still using it.  Just wondering if it will go bad?  I typically scoop out some into a small container that I keep at the changing table and refill that as needed.  But at what point do I toss what's left in the big container and get a new one?
Wife to Tommy
Mommy to David 1/2011 giada md
Sponsored Links

Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 194 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 4:48pm
Coconut oil is one of the most shelf stable oils. Your container should last until it is gone. It is also a super healthy food/supplement!
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 11:38pm
I just read that raw coconut oil has a shelf life of 3 years.
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
gbabies View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote gbabies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by Sprouts Mama Sprouts Mama wrote:

How long can you use coconut oil once it's been opened?  I bought a container and since a little goes a long way, I'm still using it.  Just wondering if it will go bad?  I typically scoop out some into a small container that I keep at the changing table and refill that as needed.  But at what point do I toss what's left in the big container and get a new one?
How do you like it?  It is working well for you?  I have thought about buying some but never have . . . some many of the products we use, including CJ's, contains it and I have only read positive things about it Smile
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sprouts Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by rustygriffen rustygriffen wrote:

I just read that raw coconut oil has a shelf life of 3 years.

That is awesome!  It may take that long to use it unless I start using it to cook as well. LOL

gbabies, I love it!  I use it a couple times a day on DS and we never have issues with rash.  If he starts to get a little pink, I just put it on him for 2 or 3 diaper changes in a row (although generally it's gone with 1 application).  He did get some redness on his boy part after having diarrhea from a stomach virus.  The pediatrician told me to use a "thick coat" of diaper cream "so thick that it's solid white and you can't see skin".  We were supposed to do that every diaper change for a few days.  I smiled and went home and just put coconut oil on him, same amount I always use, but did it for every diaper change.  It calmed down very quickly.  I kept doing that for several days because when I'd skip more than 1 time, he'd get red again (but he was continuing to suffer the results of the virus so it was getting irritated over and over).  Once his tummy calmed down, it was just a couple more days and then I started skipping applications again.  Hope that wasnt' TMI, but I was trying to say, that it worked as well as the desitin and stuff that people swear by but without having to coat him so much.  And I got a tub of it for $5 almost a year ago and I doubt I'm half way through it so you can't beat the price. 

The added benefit of using coconut oil as diaper cream is that if the baby gets some on his/her hand and then tries to put their hand in their mouth, it's food instead of some chemical.  (I still do my best to prevent this, bus sometimes I don't have enough hands to change him and keep his hands where I want them.)
Wife to Tommy
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 49 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 9:22pm
I am finding so much more uses for my coconut oil everyday :)   

out of curiousity Sprouts Mama, do you use a liner when you put the oil on?
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 11:11pm
I never used a liner when I used it and had no trouble with it washing out.
Amy, married to Josh (2002), mommy to Amelia (2011) giada md
GoldenEmpress View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 228 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 11:55pm
I also never use a liner and haven't had a problem.  I've been using my tub since DS was born and I think I'm only about half way through.  A little certainly does go a very long way!
~Elizabeth

Daughter of the King of Kings, wife to an amazing man(6/12/04), mother of DS(7/11), and furkids Charlotte (6/05) & Athena (5/07)k
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sprouts Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:40am
Like PP, I've never used a liner for it and I've never had a problem.    My SIL sent me a link recently that listed over 50 uses for coconut oil, I may try a few since I have plenty.  :)
Wife to Tommy
catadese View Drop Down
Pincorporated
Pincorporated

Member Rating(8)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 345 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote catadese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 10:14am
Ironically, just found saw this list on Facebook.  So here are some more for you.  (I'm the best sil!)
Mama to 9- 6 boys and 3 girls
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sprouts Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 11:56am
Yes you are (just don't tell the other 2 LOL)

Hey did you notice use #44? 

44. Nausea – rub some coconut oil on the inside for the wrist and forearm to calm an upset stomach.

Now if that works, I'm the best SIL!  LOL
Wife to Tommy
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 12:33pm
I use it for EVERYTHING! Skin, hair, DS's tushie, cuts, scrapes, sore nipples, moisturizer/lotion, cooking, eating, baking, and I make freezer chocolates out of it for a supplement. A 54 oz tub lasts a month or so around here. Maybe less. I would definitely keep a smaller portion aside for diapering so that you don't contaminate the tub with germs. I heard that it keeps for years as well.
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
gbabies View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote gbabies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by samsmum samsmum wrote:

I use it for EVERYTHING! Skin, hair, DS's tushie, cuts, scrapes, sore nipples, moisturizer/lotion, cooking, eating, baking, and I make freezer chocolates out of it for a supplement. A 54 oz tub lasts a month or so around here. Maybe less. I would definitely keep a smaller portion aside for diapering so that you don't contaminate the tub with germs. I heard that it keeps for years as well.
And then you just eat the freezer chocolates?  Are they good (meaning, tase good)?  Is it just the raw coconut you freeze or do you add something to it?
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 3:11pm
I add coco powder and maple syryp . They taste good. You can add coconut or anything else for that matter. I made peanut butter cups the other day. I'm trying to get away from sweets so I go easy on the sweetner but it does help. I don't think I'd enjoy them without the sweet factor. You could probably keep them in the fridge as well. I use silicone mini muffin containers as molds. The perfect size. For the peanut butter cups I poured a thin layer in silicone regular sized muffin cups and froze. Then I added the peanut butter and froze. then another layer of coconut oil/coco powder mix and froze again. They were a bit bigger of a portion portio. With the silicone it's so easy to get them out of the pan. I just store them in freezer bags.
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 8:02pm
Thank you for enabling me mamas . Just bought a jar of coconut oil at the grocery store. Can't wait to cook with it...and try some on DD's cute bum.
 Post Reply Post Reply