Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Healthy Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: sunnymom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

dry brushing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 158 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: dry brushing
    Posted: 09 May 2012 at 12:40pm
does anyone do this? what benefits do you think you get/do you see from it? 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
Sponsored Links

samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 9:10pm
No, but I have been thinking about it. I'm interested in what others have to say about it.
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
northwind View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(18)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 175 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 9:39pm
What is it??
Katie
Mama to Sylvia (5.5), Penelope (4),and Rosalie (1.5)k
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 267 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 10:22pm
do you mean brushing hair or something else?
SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 81 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 10:31pm
What is it??
Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 263 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 10:40pm
I think they're referring to brushing of the body?
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 78 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 11:18pm
I am curious too. i've heard of oil baths for body cleansing but not dry brushing.
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2012 at 11:58pm

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/homeremedyhowtos/a/dry_brushing.htm

This is the short of it. It's good for your lymphatic drainage, etc.
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 78 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 9:13am
Hmm, interesting article. It sounds to be like exfolliation.
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 12:39pm
That's got to be really good for getting rid of the jiggle in my post-baby thighs!
HC in KC View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 221 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote HC in KC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 10:32am
I recently used up a spa gift card, and the woman did this to me. She just wore some of those exfoliating gloves and went in small, quick circles over my whole body. The act of doing it felt kind of nice, especially on my back where it is hard to reach, but it wasn't anything to right home about. After my entire treatment my skin felt great...but I'm not about to do a body wrap to myself at home lol.

I do exfoliate most days in the shower. I just do it wet with soap though. The spa lady gave me the gloves to take home, but I use a thing that looks more like a towel (for reaching my back, etc). She said you can do it wet or dry and achieve the same results.
Holly
love my DH (est. 5/06), sweet ODS (12/08), and itty YDS (7/14)
Mama Roxy View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mama Roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 7:33am
It is very beneficial if done correctly. I've considered it at times since having an axillary lymph dissection on my left side when I was diagnosed with melanoma in 2010.  I swell quite often in my left arm,  left breast and the left side of my back behind my arm with backed up lymph fluid  because I lack a lymph system.  Most of the time a compression sleeve helps, but not always. Thanks Katie for the reminder of this technique once again. 
Roxy
"Are you old?" asked by Ari my then 4 yr. old GD to a older woman in a store. The lady replied "yes" Ari then says..."I can tell by your face". EEK!
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 158 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 9:42am
thanks Roxy. do you have a link as to how to do it effectively? some sites say circular motions, other say long sweeping strokes towards the heart.. it's hard to know which!
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
Mama Roxy View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mama Roxy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 1:02pm
Roxy
"Are you old?" asked by Ari my then 4 yr. old GD to a older woman in a store. The lady replied "yes" Ari then says..."I can tell by your face". EEK!
clothkick View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote clothkick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 3:54pm

I had it done once at a spa before my wedding. It felt nice, but I didn't get much out of it.

Post Reply Post Reply