Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Diaper supply shredded from 6-9 months-Please Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
rkeytect4 View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote rkeytect4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Diaper supply shredded from 6-9 months-Please Help
    Posted: 08 May 2012 at 1:37pm

Here's the Scoop:

I had all bumGenius diapers, (4) All-in-one Elementals, (1) Artist Series, a dozen or so Flip organic inserts, (6) Econobum inserts, and (6) Stay Dry inserts...most of these bought from the cottonbabies
website. ALL of these completely shredded after about 9 months of use with the start of the shredding around 6 months or so except for the stay-dry inserts... Is there a reason to why this has happened?! These diapers were expensive and I wanted to cloth diaper my baby but now I've been forced to use disposables since 9 months as I've been reluctant to buy a new supply of inserts. I had sent one All-in-one in for a refund/explanation but they said the shredding was due to mold and my warranty was void. I feel like how could mold grow on a diaper that's only wet for 1-3 days!? I store them in a dry pail and wash with very specific cloth diapering detergent - Nellie's powder right from their site and wash to their instructions. Is there
some reason that this would happen at this time...is my baby's urine destroying the organic cloth...? I've searched high and low on the web for answers but it seems to be a rare circumstance. I've attached a
few photos to get an idea of the shredding, this was the first diaper it happened to and the one that was sent to cottonbabies. Any recommendations for the future would be greatly appreciated. I'm considering buying the cloth-eez because of all the crazy amazing reviews but am afraid will i be just wasting my money?

Thanks,
Regina

I'm not sure how to insert the image... I'll keep working on that...
Sponsored Links

littlehands View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 2:36pm
I would definitely figure out the source of the issue before restocking the stash and giving it another go. If you don't do that, you're likely to recreate the situation that was the cause and end up frustrated again.

I'm no laundry expert; it's been my diaper nemesis with previous kids. I do, however, know a lot about fabric and fiber and am learning a lot about diaper laundry in an effort to avoid past mistakes and issues.

Start with the obvious- how's the laundry routine? Do you use anything potentially caustic or damaging like bleach? Regularly? Ocassionally? How is your rinse routine? Do you have city water that is highly treated/bleached?

You also might want to look at your water content. I would imagine things like high iron could cause damage. Also, how does your machine treat other laundry? Do other items seem to wear faster than expected? Do you live in an area where it is very warm? Things like mold and other damaging stuff grows faster where there is high heat and moisture in the environment already.
Rosa, Mom to Six- 15 to 2 years, + a newbie coming in Aug!
I sew and am a freelance writer. PM me! Find me a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 2:42pm
What kind of washing machine to you have? Mine destroys everything. But it sounds like this is just a diaper laundry problem -- not any issue with normal clothes?

Cloth-eez (that's green mountain, right?) is a good plan. If it is a mold issue you can add bleach w/out worry.
mommyjessica View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 99 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 3:13pm
we have high iron/ hard well water and my diapers are only showing wear from actual wear and bleach use. and only the flats. well, thats mostly my stash, but a few other things are fine.

how hot is your water? whats the temp on the water heater? i wonder if that could be an issue?
Jessica- Wife to Jared, Mommy to Tiffany Eve- born gorgeous 12-31-07, Emily Jane- born lovely 5-10-10, Lucy Renee- born beautiful 10-3-12

rkeytect4 View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote rkeytect4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 3:19pm
The washing machine is my nemesis... I have no clue what all the buttons mean or what goes on inside the machine when I turn it on. My only experience with them has been with the heavy duty front loaders. I'm not sure of the brand and model of ours so I'll look when I get home and post.

I live on Long Island, NY so this happened over the cool dry winter months...we have Suffolk County water...I'll have to look into the bleach/iron content.
I store them in a dry bucket...I dump poop in the toilet beforehand.
Grandma occasionally puts vaseline on him but I never use any type of rash cream as he's not had a rash.
The only product I've washed my diapers with is the Nellie's detergent..so that's out

When it comes to the routine I'm lost... bumGenius says to wash cold and then hot I believe but I've found this to be wayyy too time consuming and my diapers are always clean...stained but clean. So I found their system to be overkill - I wash them sometimes cold hot or warm...one cycle...sometimes a 2nd rinse...but like I said I don't knwo what I'm doing...I tried to sit down and read the manual once...lol but then something prob. came up with me DS.

My sister has indian prefolds that lasted for my niece her whole time in diapers and are still good!! I asked her to show me what she does...she put the washer on a heavy duty cycle (which in my mind I'm like won't they rip to shreads) and used hot water...she says that's how she's always done it. so I tried it and it didn't rip them up anymore then they were oddly and they were cleaner... so I sort of feel like its not the washer but it might just be that the normal washer she uses is gentler... and using mine everyday is harsh... I'm not sure.. the other part is that I had a set of organic flip inserts that were perfect for the first 6 months and one started to rip and so I bought another 6...these second 6 were destroyed much quicker then the first set...which sort of makes me think something about the baby's output lol is to blame... it also could possibly be that i wasn't keeping up on the laundry as well once we started using sitters. I just wish there is an exact reason out there that someone knows...

Yes only the diapers seem to get destroyed...and cloth-eez is by green mountain.

Thanks guys!
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 99 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 3:34pm
i'm going to go out on a limb and say it could be the detergent. i say this because your clothes are fine. do you wash the clothing any different than diapers? also, how do you dry them? any different than clothes there?
Jessica- Wife to Jared, Mommy to Tiffany Eve- born gorgeous 12-31-07, Emily Jane- born lovely 5-10-10, Lucy Renee- born beautiful 10-3-12

rkeytect4 View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote rkeytect4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 3:54pm
I wash all our clothes in regular detergent...costco brand I think. I was going to was the baby clothes in Nellie's but it's so gentle it didn't seem to get the stains out... Interesting thought.. 
My sister uses ECOS the detergent from Whole Foods thats also good for diapers...I wonder if I should switch to that!
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 5:51pm
there is no one perfect detergent for everyone. Usually takes some experimentation to find what's the best fit for your situation. give something else a try. Personally, Country Save works OK for me.

and it sounds like overkill but sometimes diapers do need two cycles.

that's the big appeal of prefolds or flats -- vastly simplifies washing issue. If you like the BG line, flats n' Flips were my staple for awhile.
Tracy_S View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tracy_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 6:12pm
I have a HE front loader (fairly new) and I often use the heavy duty cycle esp. when diapers are really soiled/gross.  I think that cycle just uses more water, more agitation, etc.  I even do a pre-wash on that cycle sometimes. 
Tracy

Tracy - married (June 2006), DS (August 2011)
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 283 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 6:20pm
I always do more than one cycle, too.  Sometimes the output doesn't get rinsed out all the way.  It may seem clean, but there's enough left over to eat away at the fiber.

Any chance they aren't completely dry?  If CB mentioned mold, they think it means the bacteria, etc. is continuing to grow because the dipe stays just a bit damp.

Cloth-eez stuff is very high quality.  Since the PUL is separate from the absorbent fabric, things should rinse & dry better.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Tracy_S Tracy_S wrote:

I have a HE front loader (fairly new) and I often use the heavy duty cycle esp. when diapers are really soiled/gross.  I think that cycle just uses more water, more agitation, etc.  I even do a pre-wash on that cycle sometimes. 
Tracy

Tracy, this made me think....

Are you using enough water with your diapers? They should be swimming in water. I always wash mine on the largest available setting. Not enough water makes the diapers rub together more.  Another thing you could try besides a different detergent is test the acidity of your LOs urine with a PH test strip.  If it's really acidic and the diapers are sitting for a couple of days I suppose it could start to break down fibers.  But I don't think it's likely. I think  your problem is probably 

Water - You can go online and search the water makeup for your county at the water departments website

Bleach- A lot of bleaching and not enough Rinsing could damage fibers, especially over time

Detergent- it could just be a bad mix for your water, or your not rinsing it well enough

Wash cycle- You might not be using enough water for your diaps

Rinse- Seriously, it sounds silly, but rinses are super important especially for people with "bad" water and diapers with lots of layers. You should never see bubbles in the rinse water, if so, rinse again.

So basically I'm just echoing the sentiments of everyone else here. Did you say that you had some PFs that didn't get shredded?

Machine-Unlikely since it's not affecting the rest of your clothes.
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
rkeytect4 View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote rkeytect4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 10:28am

Wow this forum is great!

My washer is a “Kenmore Elite HE 3t Steam….Front-Loading Washer”

Here’s the water quality repor href="http://www.scwa.com/assets/1/7/SCWA_AWQR_2.pdf" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">http://www.scwa.com/assets/1/7/SCWA_AWQR_2.pdf I am located in Distribution area 12… what level of Iron would be considered high?

Where do I get PH strips? CVS I suppose…

Musicmama thanks for that comment! Come to think of it that would make sense as to why the AIO bumGenius Elementals went first (if anyone has used them you know that they take an extremely long time to dry) so that would explain that I may not have dried them all the way.When Cottonbabies tol me mold I was thinking they got moldy before washing not that they could get moldy after washing from dampness!  If I put my Dryer on the hottest setting will that ruin the diapers? That has been another worry of mine.

Thanks Rustygriffin so for my washer or washers in general to you think the cycle with the most water would be heavy duty? If so I’ll use that from now on…I think that’s a 45 min. cycle… would you do two of those first cold and second hot? On my Washer there is a cycle type and then options Soil Level: Heavy,  Water Temp:?, Spin Speed:? Haha I have a lot of issues. After all that you would do a rinse?...

If you guys could post your wash routine settings and times that would help me so much!

Yes there were one type of PFs (flat) that didn’t get shredded through all of this and that is the Stay Dry insert…that is one of the few inserts that I have that’s not organic…I’m not sure if that’s the reason they held up better…I’m sure organic cotton is a more delicate material…? It may also be that I didn’t use them as often.

I’ve never put bleach or anything else on my diapers except for a spoonful of Nellie’s per load.

Thanks so much everybody! I think I’m coming to the conclusion that they weren’t getting washed well enough or dried well enough! I am leaning towards buying some cloth-eez… I’m no longer fond of cottonbabies after dealing with their customer servie altho my favorite cover will remain flip and econobum (and thirsties but they are not cottonbabies.)

Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 247 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 10:31am
You can never ever go wrong with GMD/Cloth-eez flats and prefolds. And, they have some of the very best customer service out there.

I would post my wash routine for you, but I have a top-loader so it wouldn't do much good. Sorry you lost your stash so soon :( That's why I stick to cotton diapers with covers.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
rkeytect4 View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote rkeytect4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 10:48am
Thanks! I know it stink but I won't let it happen again! I will never buy another AIO they take forever to dry.. All around I prefer an insert and cover it's easier and there is less to wash less to dry and easy to just rinse the cover. Heart
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 99 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:02am
I have a top loader also, but, I can tell you what I do.
I have hard water and it is difficult to get ANYTHING clean.
Cold cycle with thirsties per wash (I've been out so using bleach- I'm HARD on my diapers) if I use bleach, I use detergent along with it. I have a bunch of different types so use whatever I feel like "trying". It is always a work in progress for me.
After the cold cycle, I do a hot without adding detergent. After those two washes, I do the sniff test. If it smells like detergent or not clean, I start over. I could solve all my problems by using only flats but I like a few other things as well.
I wash covers with clothes. I dry dipes on any cycle and they have always been fine. It's better to dry them in gentle and let them finish by air drying. Sometimes it is hard to tell when they are really dry.

Good luck. It can be frustrating to say the least.

P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 99 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:05am
Oh my. I should not try to do this from my phone!

If I use thirsties pre wash (not per wash..) I use it in the cold cycle. Then I use super wash in the hot cycle. I'm just out right now ;)

rkeytect4 View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote rkeytect4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 11:08am
haha got it! Thanks you're awesome! 
I wish you mommies lived by me so we could have a playgroup! lol we already have a bunch of things in common!
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 103 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 12:38pm
Good luck with your wash routine!! It can be so frustrating. I use Nellies with my dipes too (Flips with organic cotton inserts, BG 4.0's, PF's, covers and Kushies) and have hard water. We are not having any issues so far, but we do use Rockin' Green mostly.

I hope you can figure it out! It sounds like you got a lot of great advice :)
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 1:06pm
Well, I read your water report and it was totally middle of the road normal. You don't have hard water, or high iron, and it doesn't even look like the levels of chlorine are that high.

I have a top loader so my wash routine probably won't be that helpful to you.  There are some mommas on here that have  perfected the FL wash routine so maybe they will chime in.   If it were me, I'd get some GMD PFs and Flats, change your detergent, and then always use the cycle that has the most water (and don't wash a TON of diaps at once) and rinse rinse rinse until you don't see any bubbles (for me on my TL that means hot/cold wash followed by another hot/cold wash). Then I would make sure your diapers are getting fully dry, which you won't have to worry about with PFs and flats.  
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 10:32pm

I use a top loader now, but we used to have a front loader.  Then I did a (short) rinse cycle at the beginning.  It was about 20 mins.  Then a heavy hot wash with detergent adding the extra rinse (option on my machine).  This cycle is about 55 mins.  Then another warm rinse cycle to make sure all the bubbbles were gone. 

Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>