Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - The Creative Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Patterns - cloth diapers and cover reviews | Patterns - Carrier reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Welcome to Creative Corner! This is the place to share tips,
pics of recent projects, and ask questions about all things creative (not just sewing and knitting!)

Think of this as the amateur sports forum. If you intend to sell, market (for example, naming a product), and bring in money with the item you are working on, you are a pro and your post belongs in the WAHM section (the pro sports forum . ) If you are making the item simply out of enjoyment and do not now or ever in the future intend to make money off of the item, not limited to the one shown, but ones like it in the future, it may be posted in the Creative Corner.

Posting business types of threads in Creative Corner is considered a violation of our forum posting policy (specifically rule #2.)

If you need access to the WAHM forum, please PM krisperry or Bectoria.

On Bag - Success UPDATE & made BabyBag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 117 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: On Bag - Success UPDATE & made BabyBag
    Posted: 07 May 2012 at 7:41pm
Well I am a goof. I reread the directions. I have no idea why I thought the straps/side were 12" wide, the directions say 8". I thought 12" but made them to 10", but they should have been 8" all along

I made the smaller version with great success added bellow...

I decided to take the plunge and make an OnBag. It went together fairly easily thought the instructions were not super easy, so I kind of "made it work" LOL It ended up HUGE though. Guess I didn't realize how big 14x14x10 would be. I shrunk the straps (sides) of the bag from 12" to 10" and it is still big. Guess it will work as a beach bag

I used fabric from the remnant bin just in case it was a flop, but they are the right material more of a thicker linnen (almost denim) so sturdy, but hence the funny mix and match of fabrics.

I added pockets to the front and inside a little different than the instructions (took ideas from the explorer bag that I made for the kids), but over all simple.

It does work as a back pack and as a shoulder or messenger bag. I think I will make another one but make it on the smaller side. It took about 1.5 yards of fabric (of outer and lining). The longest part was the strap and sides of bag. I pieced the fabric together even though she suggest not doing that, I was not going to by that long of a piece of fabric

I do really like the idea of the pockets on the side/strap of the bag. Fast easy access. I think next time I will add a flap with a clasp because it would be a great place for cell phone, but don't want it to fall out.

Outside - straps not tied at all. You could tie it to any length you want. The extra wide strap is nice for heavy things because you can widen it and wear it messenger bag style so it covers your shoulder and does not dig into your shoulder.

With the flap back - I did not put a method of closure on it yet - it shows the front pocket and flap I added.

It is WIDE!!

Tied to be used as a back pack

Edited by Sarah2106 - 13 May 2012 at 9:50am
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
Sponsored Links

mairf View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
8 years 62 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mairf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 8:54pm
Cool!
Mary Beth, mama to Charlie (11/05) and Sam (2/10)

k
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 171 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:10pm
That looks great! I really like the design, but it does look huge- especially the width. Let us know if you get the proportions down to a good size. 
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:40pm
Wow, that turned out great (albeit a bit large).  I love the different fabrics you used!
Amy, married to Josh (2002), mommy to Amelia (2011) giada md
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 117 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by erinchelsea erinchelsea wrote:

That looks great! I really like the design, but it does look huge- especially the width. Let us know if you get the proportions down to a good size. 

They have an OnBag Baby measurements so I think I am going to try that next time. It is a bit smaller.

Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 117 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 11:49pm
The smaller one is 12x12 with 6.5" strap (sides of bag) so I think that will be a much more "manageable" size

mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 12:27am
Yeah the large one is huge.  I made one a few years ago and it's crazy big, but still a useful bag for certain times.  Yours looks great!  I love funky different prints together :)
stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 161 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 1:25am
That's awesome! Never heard of that before, great job!
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 117 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 9:37am
Originally posted by mrscakes mrscakes wrote:

Yeah the large one is huge.  I made one a few years ago and it's crazy big, but still a useful bag for certain times.  Yours looks great!  I love funky different prints together :)

Did you ever make the smaller one? I really like the style so I think I still want to "tweak" things and try again

musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 221 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 10:43am
That's really cool!  I was just putting towels in a bag for a trip to SIL's pool, and thinking how a crazy-big bag would come in handy from time to timeThumbs Up.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 117 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 9:54am
So I made the smaller one yesterday. It is 11.5x11.5 with 6.5" wide straps and sides. Much more every day size.

Instead of doing rolled edges I sewed them right sides together and then turned right side out. I had a tough time with the rolled edges staying put as I was sewing the larger ones, just more room for movement. I also attached the pockets to just the one piece of fabric (so the stitching is hidden when turned right side out) for a more finished look.

I had a tough time picking fabrics but knew I wanted something darker for the outside, so it would not look dirty as fast and then I found the green flowers on the clearance stack. I also tied the straps so that they can actually slide to make the strap shorter and/or longer. I really like this size!

mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 10:18am
Great job again!  I like the way you tied the straps. 

I didn't see your question before - I did make a smaller one, but modified it as well.  I made it as a bag for my MIL who takes the bus to work everyday and always carries a bunch of stuff - so I used the basic pattern but did a custom size and a shoulder that didn't tie.  I also did the same as you and sewed the right sides together and turned inside out
MamaKikow View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 31 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote MamaKikow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 11:24am
I like both even if the first one is big. Very creative Sarah!
Happy wife to J and SAHM to my 2 little girls and a surprise baby boy joined us in the Spring.

*Please excuse the typos. my 'smart' phone was too smart for school*
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 171 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 11:56am
Oooh, that looks great! I love the fabric you chose.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
 Post Reply Post Reply