Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Diaper Chatter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Items for Baby and Mom

Members,
Any thread initiated to promote a company or product that has a current incentive for posting in forums is considered a misuse of the forums and will be removed immediately.  Be sure to read our forum posting policy BEFORE posting on our forums.  Take special note of the following rule:

a. It is acceptable to provide information about a business or product in answer to a question, however threads that are initiated primarily to promote a product, business, or outside discussion list will be treated as SPAM.
Points issued: 5

Thank you for your cooperation,
Diaper Pin Mod and Admin Team

What exactly is minky?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
gbabies View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote gbabies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What exactly is minky?
    Posted: 05 May 2012 at 10:49am
What exactly is minky fabric?  And for those of you who have used it, do you like it?  What are the pros and cons of it?

Thanks for sharing Smile

Edited by gbabies - 06 May 2012 at 8:20pm
Sponsored Links

littlehands View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 10:53am
I have no idea exactly what it is. Pretty sure it's some kind of polyester fabric. It has a nap like fleece, but is SUPER soft- like silky. It comes in a lot of really cute prints, which are different than regular PUL prints. However, it's really bulky. Think taking fleece and then adding laminate. VERY fluffy bums. It also seems more prone to delaminating. Out of the 3 Minky diapers I had, 2 had laminate come loose. :P
Rosa, Mom to Six- 15 to 2 years, + a newbie coming in Aug!
I sew and am a freelance writer. PM me! Find me a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 1:18pm
anyone seen a difference in usage and wear b/t minky PUL and minky TPU?

all i know is minky can be warmer, right? but oh so soft, i can't resist a handful of minky pockets.

Edited by vansen19 - 05 May 2012 at 1:20pm
gbabies View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote gbabies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 3:31pm
What about a PUL diaper but minky inner like the new TotBots EasyFits v3?  Curious how this would absorb and wear over time?
MomBeck View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote MomBeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 4:10pm
I haven't seen the new TBEF but FuzziBunz elites have minky inserts so I'm assuming it's similar material - super soft and silky compared to scratchy microfiber. It's polyester but longer fibers, more dense, less fluffy than mf. I've had some baby blankets made of minky that my LOs loved! It dries much faster than bamboo and is much cheaper to manufacture which is why I think they switched.
gbabies View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote gbabies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by MomBeck MomBeck wrote:

I haven't seen the new TBEF but FuzziBunz elites have minky inserts so I'm assuming it's similar material - super soft and silky compared to scratchy microfiber. It's polyester but longer fibers, more dense, less fluffy than mf. I've had some baby blankets made of minky that my LOs loved! It dries much faster than bamboo and is much cheaper to manufacture which is why I think they switched.
Thank you, this is helpful!  I am debating whether to sell some of my current TBEF's and try a new one (once available). Just not sure I will like minkee Confused
littlehands View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 5:21pm
Ah, you're talking for diaper inners, bodies, etc.

Really, Minkee confuses me in this application. I've seen it used for a stay dry layer and how something is versatile enough to both wick and absorb is beyond me. Wacko
Rosa, Mom to Six- 15 to 2 years, + a newbie coming in Aug!
I sew and am a freelance writer. PM me! Find me a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles
gbabies View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote gbabies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by littlehands littlehands wrote:

Really, Minkee confuses me in this application. I've seen it used for a stay dry layer and how something is versatile enough to both wick and absorb is beyond me. Wacko
bamboo kinda does this right, absorbs and "sorta" wicks Confused
lilmonksmom View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 60 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote lilmonksmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:28am
Originally posted by littlehands littlehands wrote:

This confuses me too.  Maybe there is more than one type of minky?  I have used minky outer pockets, and the minky is super soft and stays that way. 
Esseltess View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Esseltess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 12:34am
I love minkee inserts. They are super soft and dont feel as wet to the touch as most fabrics (similar to bamboo velour in wetness feeling?maybe?)
DD 11/08, DS 01/11
rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:02am
I had a purple minky fitted (another pin momma has it now) and I thought it absorbed great and also had a bit of a stay dry feel. I only got rid of it because it didn't fit DS right. I think they can make minky out of other fibers too( like bamboo), but it's still blended with synthetics. I bet you will like it.
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
gbabies View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote gbabies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:50am
Yay, now I am even more excited to try it - thanks for your posts Mamas!
 Post Reply Post Reply