Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Healthy Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: sunnymom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Vitamix

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vitamix
    Posted: 04 May 2012 at 4:09pm
I just bought a Vitamix. I phoned them to ask a few questions and ended up buying the thing over the phone. Gasp... I have never spent so much money on a small kitchen appliance in my life. I have really wanted one for a while but I ended up cheaping out on a Magic Bullet that just doesn't cut it.
I got one with the dry cup so that I can do grains too. So tell me, was I savvy or am I crazy? Will I LOVE this thing? Does it really replace a blender and food processor? I feel excited but terrified that I just blew $600 on something that I could have done without.

Edited by samsmum - 04 May 2012 at 4:10pm
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
Sponsored Links

moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 256 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 12:13am
No other ordinary blender can compare! I have really enjoyed mine. I haven't been using it nearly as much lately for some reason, but I need to. I'm thinking it might be a good way to get some more nutrition into YDD, and also hydrate her at the same time. DH's favorite thing to make in it is frozen yogurt - I use Dannon's all natural vanilla with some frozen fruit, that's it! And it is SO good! I haven't don't too much on the savory side of things, but want to experiment a bit more with it. I made the broccoli cheddar soup and it's pretty tasty. I know I don't use mine nearly as much as I could/should, but I'm sure I will as time goes on. As of right now though, it's well worth just for a good quality smoothie! The kids love green smoothies, they even know that I put a ton of spinach in it and don't care! LOL

Renee
Wife to K ~ 06/05
SAHM to JJ (ODS)~08/07, ME (ODD)~05/09, LG (YDD)~04/11, DA (YDS)~12/12!!

Pampered Chef anyone?
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 12:59am
Good to know. I feel better about it. MY kids love green smoothies too. It's just such a huge expense but that alone will help me find ways to use it a lot
elus0814 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(4)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 317 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote elus0814 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 6:17pm
I use mine constantly. I used to take it with me when we visited family until they bought one too. I have a food processor as well and I seldom use it since the cleanup is such a hassle compared to the vitamix. 
SAHM to DD 9/04, DS 12/05, DS 3/09, DD 9/10, DD 2/12, and DS 9/13
mairf View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
8 years 148 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mairf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 6:21pm
I'd love a vitamix.  My friend has one and makes her own nut butters in it.  I think that would be awesome. She also does a lot of raw "soups" and dips in it.
 My blender is so bad it makes "chunkies" not smoothies. lol!
Mary Beth, mama to Charlie (11/05) and Sam (2/10)

k
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2012 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by mairf mairf wrote:

I'd love a vitamix.  My friend has one and makes her own nut butters in it.  I think that would be awesome. She also does a lot of raw "soups" and dips in it.
 My blender is so bad it makes "chunkies" not smoothies. lol!
Yes "chunkies" is what my Bullit and my blender make. Not very appealing. I'm pretty excited about it. I just need to process the whole price factor. My mum gave me money for Christmas & for my 40th birthday she gave me 5x what she normally does Tongue so I'm not out of pocket anything personall. She basically paid for it.
GreenJessicaA View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 11:32am
I'd been comparing the vitamix and blendtec for a couple of weeks now--this makes me want one even more!

Hubby came home from PX yesterday talking about a blender demo they saw and wanted me to go see it.  Turns out, it was a vitamix 5200.  I nearly squealed with excitement when I found out I could get it for less than $350 with military discounts and no tax! 
Wife to David, Mama to DD(04/07) and DS(08/11) giada md
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 12:49pm
Originally posted by GreenJessicaA GreenJessicaA wrote:

I'd been comparing the vitamix and blendtec for a couple of weeks now--this makes me want one even more!

Hubby came home from PX yesterday talking about a blender demo they saw and wanted me to go see it.  Turns out, it was a vitamix 5200.  I nearly squealed with excitement when I found out I could get it for less than $350 with military discounts and no tax! 
Wow that's a steal!! I'd grab that for sure. I paid $549 plus tax from their website for a 5200 kit with the  32 oz.dry container, 64 oz. wet container, two cookbooks, tamper, and she threw in some cutting boards and spatulas and free shipping. Here in Canada that set is $749 plus 12 % tax Shocked . I bought it from their US website.
Costco.com sells it for $499 but they don't ship to p.o. boxes

Edited by samsmum - 06 May 2012 at 12:51pm
GreenJessicaA View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 9:38am
Hubby came home with the vitamix last night and I did squeal
Wife to David, Mama to DD(04/07) and DS(08/11) giada md
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 11:55am
Nice!
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by GreenJessicaA GreenJessicaA wrote:

I saw them at the PX last week and couldn't find a price anywhere! Now I'm going to have to go back and look harder and seriously hint at the Mother's Day gift I need! haha
 Post Reply Post Reply