Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | sunnymom | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

Need a new mop or alternative

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Rgypsyrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rgypsyrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need a new mop or alternative
    Posted: 04 May 2012 at 11:01am
I know this has been discussed before, but there are always so many new ones out there I thought I would ask.  I have a simple spray mop with washable pads which lasts about 4-6 months.  It does a pretty decent job and they are about 16 new.  We have a large area of linoleum, which is also a very high traffic area.  Dog kids hubby it usually needs mopping 2-3 times a week this time of year.

These are fairly affordable but really would think that it should last a bit longer. 

So what do you use to clean the floors.
Sponsored Links

GoldenEmpress View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 163 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 11:44am
While I don't have one of these, I'm planning on getting one soon:

It seems to have good reviews and is reasonably priced.  So as soon as DH stops spending $ on things that he "has to have," I'll be getting it.
~Elizabeth

Daughter of the King of Kings, wife to an amazing man(6/12/04), mother of DS(7/11), and furkids Charlotte (6/05) & Athena (5/07)k
hudfamsix View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote hudfamsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 11:59am
I bought a microfiber one (O-Cedar brand, red handle, white and blue pad) from Wal-Mart that works okay.  If you were using it regularly, I suspect it would work great (I'm not very good about mopping my floor, so it takes a little more work).  The floor dries really fast, too.  It doesn't require any cleaners, just wet the mop, squeeze it out, and go.  I know it wasn't too expensive, or I wouldn't have bought it.
Beth
"Babe" to Jason (12 years)
Knitting, Running, Homeschooling Mom to
Sierra (11), Tyner (9), Zeke (5), and Emma (3)
expectingnumber2 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(10)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 308 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote expectingnumber2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 4:27pm
We have all hardwood floors.  I use a microfiber pad for sweeping/dusting and a steam mop.  I just got the steam mop for Christmas and LOVE it.  
Michelle wife to Brian mom to DD1 (5/13/06), DD2 (4/23/10) and DD3 (5/8/12)   
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by hudfamsix hudfamsix wrote:

I bought a microfiber one (O-Cedar brand, red handle, white and blue pad) from Wal-Mart that works okay.  If you were using it regularly, I suspect it would work great (I'm not very good about mopping my floor, so it takes a little more work).  The floor dries really fast, too.  It doesn't require any cleaners, just wet the mop, squeeze it out, and go.  I know it wasn't too expensive, or I wouldn't have bought it.

I have one too. It's great for quick jobs but like you my floor doesn't get mopped as often as it should. For a real good cleaning I still use my Veleda twist mop. I did have a steam cleaner but I returned it. It would leave drips (i guerr it leaked) everywhere. I've heard that they aren't good for wood or laminate though I can't speak too that because I have linoleum and tile. I do love the idea of them though.

Back to the spray mop... I think you can make your own pads. They have a velcro bottom and also push holes like a Swiffer Broom.
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 166 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 8:10pm
I have a Bissell Steam Mop and loooove it.
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(17)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 239 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 10:05pm
We have a shark steam mop.  It was on sale for around $50. 
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
anricat View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote anricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 10:25pm
I have a steam mop and an e-cloth mop. I love both. The e-cloth is great for touch ups (and DD likes to use it, too) and the steam mop is good for when I really want to MOP. 

You guys should run an e-cloth coop here on the Pin. We ran one locally and the prices are really great. All their cleaning clothes are beyond awesome. 
Summer - mom to Emmaline - 7/4/08
Little Baby Bat - my baby, toddler and children's hats
bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 166 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 11:00pm
Summer - we did an e-cloth coop last summer! The prices were awesome!
RebeccaL View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Perennial Pinner
9 years 176 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote RebeccaL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 11:33pm
I have the H20 steam mop ultra which I quite like.  I haven't really figured out what exactly to do with the hand held steamer part for furniture of bathtub, but I've used it on tile and with the carpet slider on carpet (it's not a carpet steam cleaner, but a steam refresher).  I stalked the sales and got it about half price for $70 or so.
Rebecca, Wife to André Oct/11. EDD Feb 1/15
anricat View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote anricat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 5:29pm
Oh awesome, Bree. I can't believe I missed it! 
Summer - mom to Emmaline - 7/4/08
Little Baby Bat - my baby, toddler and children's hats
Sprouts Mama View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sprouts Mama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 10:32am
I just got a Shark Steam mop a couple weeks ago and LOVE it!!  WHen DS tosses his yogurt in the floor, I wipe it with a paper towel to get the worst up.  Then grab the steam mop.  It's ready in 30 seconds and I do that little area and poof I'm done!  no sticky!  Of course, I use it for the whole kitchen as well, but for the quick cleanups it's awesome!!! And I got the fancy version so I can unclick part of it to look like a dustbuster, but it's steam so I can steam curtains (yeah, right like that'll ever happen LOL) or use it to steam sanitize counters or bathroom stuff.  It even has smaller attachments for that!
Wife to Tommy
Mommy to David 1/2011 giada md
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 349 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 11:56pm
we jsut got another rubbermaid reveal and its pretty good. i really like that i can make my own solution.
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
lflips View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 364 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote lflips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 7:58am
 We use a basic shark steam mop and I love it. Seriously, so much easier than a regular mop and if you put a little EO on the pad it smells wonderful. 
Tamryn :

Mama to Eden and Ariadne
Rgypsyrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Rgypsyrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 11:00pm
Thank you ladies for the ideas, I will have to look into the steam mops a little more.  I had tried my mom's shark a while ago and didn't like it as it only cleaned under the steam holes all three of the them.  Currently use the rubbermaid reveal... this has been the best so far. 

Mary
asvueldo View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote asvueldo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2012 at 9:29am
Originally posted by hudfamsix hudfamsix wrote:

I bought a microfiber one (O-Cedar brand, red handle, white and blue pad) from Wal-Mart that works okay...I know it wasn't too expensive, or I wouldn't have bought it.

I have this one too and liked it so much, I went back and got extra pads. In the past, I'll have a great mop for about a year and just as the pad is wearing out, they become unavailable in the store.

I mostly use it as a dry sweeper (great for cleaning up collie dog hair!) but also put on a clean pad, spray a small section of floor with water or cleaner then wipe.
Christina, mama to three boys, born 2005, 2007, and 2010.
My Homeschool Blogto,488px);div
 Post Reply Post Reply