Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Frugal Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: taowensf
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

what about wheat!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
fluff_addict View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote fluff_addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: what about wheat!?
    Posted: 02 May 2012 at 4:09pm
 Hi all!   I am in the process of convincing DH that I need a grain mill for mother's day Wink  so I need to collect some information and was hoping someone here could help me!    

First of all, where do I purchase wheat to make my own flour?

Is there a specific kind of wheat I should look for?

How do I store this wheat?

How long will it keep if not ground?

What is a good price for wheat?

Are there any tips you would like to pass along??? 

TIA!    

Edited by fluff_addict - 02 May 2012 at 4:11pm
*Katie* most often known as "mom" "ma" "mommy" or "mom mom"   
Sponsored Links

erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(38)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 108 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 4:22pm
Here's where I get my grains: 

And here's another place that sells them, I got my mill here and they have a lot of info:

I bought some of their lids that go on 5 gallon buckets and that's where I store my grains. They should keep for a long, long time in there but we don't keep them long enough to find out! I try to grind enough for a couple batches of bread at one time, and keep the ground flour in the freezer. That way I don't have to grind every time I bake. 

For bread I use the hard white. But I know my aunt prefers the hard red. It's just your preference. I buy the soft white pastry berries for cookies and brownies. 

I was hesitant to spend the money for a mill at first but I'm so glad I did, I just love it!

Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
txmom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(31)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 20 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote txmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 4:43pm
I buy hard white for breads and can get it locally from a woman who buys it in bulk then re-sells it to raise money for their mission trips.  I pay about 70-90 cents a lb for 25 or 50lb bags and since I pick it up locally, I don't pay for shipping but have to pay taxes on it.

I basically do the same as Erin - I have one of the 5 gallon buckets with a sealing lid and the whole grains store very well.  I try not to leave the ground flour in the freezer too long, but it hasn't been a problem so far.

I love my grain mill!!
Linda

Wife of 14 years to Troy, mama of E 10/07 J 09/09 and S 10/11
fluff_addict View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote fluff_addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 2:40pm
thank you so much for all the info!  I can't wait to get started Big smile
*Katie* most often known as "mom" "ma" "mommy" or "mom mom"   
Sweetbliss View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sweetbliss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 12:23am
Hard red wheat will keep its nutritional value in storage for 30 (and sometimes more) YEARS.  After you grind it, though, store your flour in the refrigerator or freezer - as the oils in the grains can go rancid.
Mommy of Peanut, Lumpy, Bug , Muffin, and Mister Mister
4LittleMonkeys View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 4LittleMonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 7:06pm
The best bet for your area is to get connected with a Something Better Natural Foods co-op in your area.  They deliver in Indiana.  I pay just over 50 cents a pound including shipping for Prairie Gold (chemical free certified).  They also have sooooo many other great bulk items.  

This shows their delivery schedules.  Call them and ask them for the contact to your closest co-op.  THey are nice and happy to help.

The best way to see prices is 

Click on the category you are interested in and sometimes sub-categories will need to be chosen.  If you are ordering with a co-op, you will take their price listed and add 10% for shipping, plus whatever your local food tax is for your State.  You will need to check with the co-op leader to see if they charge an additional ordering fee (some charge 1-5%, some don't).  

STORAGE
You want to store in large buckets with gamma seal lids.  You can order those from 

www.pleasanthillgrain.com

Order them when you order your mill so you don't pay shipping.
I suggest getting a 6 gallon bucket for each type of wheat (almost holds 50 pounds) and a different color gamma seal lid for each type so you can easily know which is which.  
You can also get the nice, sandwich style loaf pans there.  They are Norpro pans and they are excellent, excellent.  They also have my favorite bread bags.  

I use A combinations of 
Bronze Chief and Prairie Gold for my yeast breads (Hard Red and Hard White)
I use the Soft wheat for pastries, muffins, pancakes, cookies....anything without yeast.

I suggest the Nutrimill if you want an electric mill.  If you want a hand mill, buy the Country Living Grain Mill (much more expensive but worth it).

If you have questions, p.m. me.

DD(15),DS(12),DD(11),DS(4)
4LittleMonkeys View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 4LittleMonkeys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2012 at 7:10pm
I know it can get confusing at first so here are the pleasant hill links

Grainmill

Bread pans - I have the 12 inch pans

Scroll down this page to find the bags (XL for the large pans), buckets, and lids.

As far as storage after grinding?  I try to only grind a tad more than I need.  I store in a mason jar whatever is leftover.  It will keep for a long time if refrigerated.
DD(15),DS(12),DD(11),DS(4)
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2012 at 7:17pm
Here it is. I was looking for this thread.
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 3:50pm
I was wondering how fresh ground whole wheat works in bread? I know that when I make bread with regular whole wheat flour it usually doesn't make a very big loaf. I use a bread machine. I add vital gluten to get it fluffy. Is there a secret? I want to go ahead and order some wheat berries but I just want to get the trade secrets straightened out first :)

Is there anything else that I should know? 

Edited by samsmum - 07 Jun 2012 at 3:50pm
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
 Post Reply Post Reply