Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Diaper Chatter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Items for Baby and Mom

Members,
Any thread initiated to promote a company or product that has a current incentive for posting in forums is considered a misuse of the forums and will be removed immediately.  Be sure to read our forum posting policy BEFORE posting on our forums.  Take special note of the following rule:

a. It is acceptable to provide information about a business or product in answer to a question, however threads that are initiated primarily to promote a product, business, or outside discussion list will be treated as SPAM.
Points issued: 5

Thank you for your cooperation,
Diaper Pin Mod and Admin Team

New to cloth, diapering 3

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
5babiesmomma View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote 5babiesmomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New to cloth, diapering 3
    Posted: 02 May 2012 at 4:00pm
Hello  I will be new to cloth diapering soon.  I have a 9 month old and will be having twins in October.  I have 3 other kids too so I am very busy.  I was looking at how many diapers I will need and I calculated 12 each day for each of the twins and 10 a day for the one that will be 14 months at that time.  That is 34 diapers a day.  From my understanding, I can wash 24 diapers (pockets and inserts) together at one time.  Is this correct?  I really don't think I'm going to want 68 dirty diapers sitting around to be washing every other day.  Would it be realistic to buy 40 diapers and wash everytime I got to 24?  So it would probably be 2 loads some days and 1 load on other days.
Also, how many times do you normally have to run the dryer with pocket diapers and inserts?  This seems like ALOT of laundry, but will save quite a bit of money.
ETA- Also, microfiber, bamboo, or blend inserts?
Thanks  :)

Edited by 5babiesmomma - 02 May 2012 at 4:01pm
Sponsored Links

bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 245 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 4:11pm
Just wanted to say welcome!

There are several mamas here that are cloth diapering more than one babe at a time so I'm sure they'll chime in w/ great advice! For a 14mo old I don't think you'll need 10 a day - I think my 14mo old only went through about 5 or 6 a day most days at that time. But it all depends on the babe and his/her output. Realistically I think you'll have to wash once a day, two loads a day will probably be a bit much - you'd never get any other laundry done, kwim? If you're only using pockets then you would be able to hang dry the shells overnight and they should be good to go by morning. The inserts shouldn't take more than 1 dryer cycle.
Tracy_S View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 103 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tracy_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 6:09pm
I agree with Bree. My 8-month-old goes through 6-8 dipes a day.  What kind of diapers are you getting?  Flats/prefolds? Fitteds?  Pockets/AIOs?
Tracy
Tracy - married (June 2006), DS (August 2011)
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote 5babiesmomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 6:45pm
I'm getting pocket diapers with inserts.  Not sure on what kind of inserts yet.  still trying to figure that part out.
I usually do about 6-8 with my daughter now, at 9 months.  I was guessing on the high side.  Do you buy extra in case someone is sick or do you just keep disposables on hand for tummy bugs?  Do you think 30 would be enough for 3 babies?  Although I think I should buy extras because I think I will have to retire diapers here and there as they get nasty.
mommyjessica View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 66 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 8:06pm
I would personally buy on the lower number side and see If I actually like them. Maybe get some pockets for baby now and see how it goes. I would also keep sposies around. That's just a personal preference on my part though. For tummy bugs, I would use flats. They are the easiest to wash and a little bleach won't hurt them.
Jessica- Wife to Jared, Mommy to Tiffany Eve- born gorgeous 12-31-07, Emily Jane- born lovely 5-10-10, Lucy Renee- born beautiful 10-3-12

rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by mommyjessica mommyjessica wrote:

I would personally buy on the lower number side and see If I actually like them. Maybe get some pockets for baby now and see how it goes. I would also keep sposies around. That's just a personal preference on my part though. For tummy bugs, I would use flats. They are the easiest to wash and a little bleach won't hurt them.

This is a great idea for a trial run, and I agree about using flats for tummy bugs).  When I had two kids in diapers I washed every other day, but I suspect with the twins and your other LO combined you'll want to wash everyday. If you wash everyday you won't need as many diapers. Eventually as your twins get older and use fewer and fewer diapers you'll be able to move back to washing every other day or so.
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 245 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 8:47pm
If it were me with 3 in diapers I'd have way more than 30 diapers. But I have/had more than that for one in diapers. lol  However, I wouldn't buy all at once. I'd just start small to make sure you love them before going full on with one type. You can always buy a small stash and use sposies along with them until you figure out what you love.
mamma22boys View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(40)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 71 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mamma22boys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 8:55pm
hi and welcome. 

Me personally I would have way more than 30 diapers for 3 diapers but I don't like to be rushed in the laundry department.  I would get the pocket diapers and maybe also some prefold and flats with covers to help stretch. 

you will still need to wash every day, probably, but you won't have to stress about getting everything stuffed/putaway.

Good luck. 

Emily Wife to Jake
Mom to Joseph 2/07 & Jordan 5/09 and 1 little girl Audrey 9/12
Probably NAK-- so please excuse the typos.
hleannie View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Perennial Pinner
4 years 303 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote hleannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 9:24pm
I find 24 to be the perfect number for one in diapers but probably could have gotten by with half that much if I wanted to wash every day.  I'd really go with 3-4 dozen for 3 in diapers, although it can be done with less.  Welcome to the pin, and congrats on the twins!  Thumbs Up 
Heather =]
Look! I finally fixed this signature!
jberrec View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 359 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote jberrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 9:40pm
I'd agree with everyone else. I'd start with a small stash and then buy more if you like that kind or try a different kind if you don't. I don't think 30 diapers would be enough for a 14mo old and 2 newbies, but I'm also one who prefers to hang dry pocket shells which obviously makes things take longer.
Julie-

Wife, Mama to DS1 (6), DS2 (4), DS3 (2) and DS4 (baby)
jberrec View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 359 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote jberrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 9:42pm
Oh, and welcome to the pin!
Julie-

Wife, Mama to DS1 (6), DS2 (4), DS3 (2) and DS4 (baby)
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote 5babiesmomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 10:47pm
Thanks so much for all the great advice!  I'm going to buy several soon for my already here baby.  I'm just really hoping I can make this work.  Disposable diapers are expensive and, of course, all my kids have been allergic to everything but the most expensive. 
THanks for the warm welcomes.  :)
vansen19 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote vansen19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 11:01pm
i do want to add that new pocket diapers should go through the dryer, on hot even. it'll help seal stitching/sewing holes in the PUL or TPU- then you can hang dry mostly or dry low when necessary. my personal preference was natural fibers (such as flats/prefolds) after the baby doesn't need the stay-dry fleece/suede effect of most pocket diapers (starting around 6 months). i'll be having another in June and will use mainly flats/pf's at home (i stay home) and OS pockets when we go out (so that either babe can wear it). best!
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(16)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 313 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 11:16pm
Welcome! You found the right place! 3 in diapers is a huge undertaking.

I agree with previous posters, I think you should figure some of you likes and dislikes out with your 9 month old.

Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 11:39pm
Welcome and congratulations! I personally would want way more than 30 diapers with three kids in diapers. Flats or prefolds are a good inexpensive way to boost your stash without breaking the bank and they are very easy to use especially if you pad fold. Starting your nine month old in cloth now will give you an idea of what works for your lifestyle. You mentioned allergic skin so I wouldn't buy too much of the same thing until you know how your baby will react. I started out with pockets but lost the love stuffing them, I still use them but wouldn't want three kids in them exclusively. Honestly I'd rather fold a stash of flats or prefolds than stuff 40 pockets every day.
Have you thought about doing a diaper trial with your baby now to get an idea of what you like? Several retailers offer them. 
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
Tracy_S View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 103 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Tracy_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 11:47pm
I agree with others on the try-it-first-before-buying-a-lot advice.  I have found some things didn't work for us even though others loved it and raved.  Every baby and family is different.  some sellers offer packages where you can try out a bunch of diapers and there are some rental services too.  here are a few links.

The idea about trying things out on your 9-month-old is good too, but just realize that newborns have different CDing needs.  I used fitteds for my newborn and the containment was great for those explosive EBF poohs.  But now I love padfolding for ease with my older baby. 

Tracy
Tracy - married (June 2006), DS (August 2011)
 Post Reply Post Reply