Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Healthy Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: sunnymom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Give it up!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Give it up!
    Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:49am
I've been doing so-so.  No big cheats, but I haven't been as good at cutting the sweets out entirely as when I've done this before  I know it's going to be a bad weekend - baby shower tomorrow and then mother's day (anyone see my post in p'ingredients? ).  I'm planning to totally rededicate myself to the no-sugar cause come Monday!
Sponsored Links

gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:10am
I've been terrible with the sugar today... a sierra mist with lunch and two "fun size" snickers bars this evening.  At least I went for a long walk today!  How is everyone else doing? 

Amy, married to Josh (2002), mommy to Amelia (2011) giada md
hudfamsix View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote hudfamsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2012 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by txmom txmom wrote:

I didn't even make it through day 1 Confused.  I forgot I had made a batch of lactation cookies Tuesday.  I should have them gone by today though.  In all fairness, I don't even like the cookies - they are very bitter because I use so much brewers yeast.  I make myself eat them because they seem to be a big help in keeping up my supply.  I won't have any trouble giving them up!

Anyone have any ideas on how else I can get brewers yeast into my diet?

I know this is a little late in the game, but I saw a suggestion on a blog and it made think of you.  This recipe for No-Bake Energy Bites doesn't contain any sugar (well, I guess it depends on how you classify honey).  Wait, it has chocolate chips, but it's really easy to leave those out.  But down in the comments section, a gal says it's easy to add a few tablespoons of brewers yeast to the recipe.  I'm assuming you'd have to take a few tablespoons of something else out, but that wouldn't be hard.  This recipe is super-customizable!
Beth
"Babe" to Jason (12 years)
Knitting, Running, Homeschooling Mom to
Sierra (11), Tyner (9), Zeke (5), and Emma (3)
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 11:12am
I had a good day yesterday - no cheating :)

Erin - isn't it amazing how much of a physical addiction it truly is?  The more sugar I eat, the more I crave and I honestly get crabby when I first go without.  That's why I try to not cut *all* sugar cold turkey, just the unhealthy stuff.  My rules are that if it's good for me otherwise but is sweet, it's still okay.  Just no candy, cookies, etc.

Katherine - glad you found a groove on the caffeine!  

Katie - join us next week ;)
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 71 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2012 at 10:42am
Katherine- why are you giving up butter? just curious!

i so need this...i have been awful with sugar lately. i always seem to want to join the week i have lots of things going on! we have a birthday, a dinner and mother's day.. I know I will have treats for all of those things! after all, i am making them for 2,and we always get a cold stone ice cream cake for mothers day.
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 5:55pm
Hubby ate his half so fast, there was no chance of me having more than half!  LOL
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 5:20pm
Wow, I don't think I could have stopped myself at just half a slice :)
gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 3:37pm
I don't think I could ever give up butter, kudos to you Katherine for doing it! 

My no sweets goal is going good so far today.  I did have half a slice of cheesecake last night though but come on, we were at the Cheesecake Factory!

ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 3:03pm

My current plan: a cup of tea in the a.m. and a teeny bit of dark chocolate, was much more realistic than my intial drastic no-caffeine plan. Since that adjustment, I've been holding to it!

Butter -- I had one minor indulgence over the weekend, half a bagel with butter (hey, we were out of cream cheese and the oatmeal was still cooking, I had to eat something!) But I went light with the butter.

Haven't had yogurt in a few days, I'd like to get back into that groove.
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(38)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 108 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 2:43pm
I'm struggling a bit today after splurging all weekend at a big festival in DH's hometown. I could really use a sugar fix but I know I need to go without for a few days and the cravings will pass. I have a hard time with moderation- when I have a treat I keep wanting more! It is totally an addiction!
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:39pm
Good job everyone!

Rifky - IKWYM, it's so much harder just being at home!

Rachel - skipping dessert has been key for me in losing weight.  I won't give up my glass of wine though

RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 1:22pm
I've already lost a few pounds this past week for giving up cereal in the morning (I have an egg instead) and my evening glass of wine.  Skipping lunch dessert and dinner dessert has also helped :)

MamaKikow View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
2 years 335 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote MamaKikow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2012 at 9:24am
I did great yesterday, only 2 coffees. I think it's because I was out of the house much and didn't really have access to it. I believe the days I'm home I'll probably need more motivation..
Happy wife to J and SAHM to my 2 little girls and a surprise baby boy joined us in the Spring.

*Please excuse the typos. my 'smart' phone was too smart for school*
gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 5:21pm
I'll join you with giving up sweets... but I am going to Cheesecake Factory tonight for dinner with some friends, so it will have to start tomorrow! LOL 

bree View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(41)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 165 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by sunsmiles sunsmiles wrote:

Originally posted by hudfamsix hudfamsix wrote:

Meghan:  Have you tried eating protein when you crave sweets?  Someone told me to do that when I was pregnant with Zeke.  I would eat some turkey lunch meat or something (just because that's what was in the fridge), but it totally worked.  Maybe keep some cooked chicken or some beans in the fridge to munch on?

I've heard of this, but I'm not really a big meat eater. I think I'll try stocking the fridge with bean and cheese and yogurt and try to grab those as snacks instead of sugary things.

I'm not in on your challenege because I seriously suck that badly. LOL  But I wanted to say Meghan - yogurt helps me too w/ the sweets cravings. I never craved sweets with the boys besides once I wanted lemon meringue pie w/ Mason. lol  But this time has been out of control! Chocolate and cheesecake I want a lot. Luckily I don't have easy access to cheesecake! Maybe this means that little babe is a girl!
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 2:25pm
Good for you guys!

Went for a run this morning, so I'm at least feeling a little better about my eating yesterday
txmom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(31)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 21 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote txmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 1:18pm
I am still in!! I did well this past week.  I even found some leftover Easter candy I confiscated from the kids, planning to spread out their sweets a little rather than have them gorge and we all forgot about it.  Instead of eating it, I threw it away.  Being the frugal person I am, that was tough for me.  But I struggle with self control so if it was in the house, I would have eaten it.

My splurge this week was half of a sonic blast.  It is Sonic's version of the Dairy Queen Blizzard. DH was in a fishing tournament this weekend and we all went to the weigh in.  They had bands playing and blow up bouncers for the kids to play in.  But it was a long, hot, sunny afternoon so we told the kids we would get them something yummy on the way home.  DD couldn't finish hers so I did.  Not what I would have picked for my one thing, but I was hot and tired too and it was yummy!
Linda

Wife of 14 years to Troy, mama of E 10/07 J 09/09 and S 10/11
MamaKikow View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
2 years 335 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote MamaKikow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 12:36pm
I'm still in.. 3 coffees only a day. Yesterday I had only 2 and I'm afraid I'll have the third one today. Will make it 4. Oy
Happy wife to J and SAHM to my 2 little girls and a surprise baby boy joined us in the Spring.

*Please excuse the typos. my 'smart' phone was too smart for school*
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2012 at 11:33am
Alright, who's still with me??

Yesterday was bad, so I'm starting over today  I had my allotted cheat of a sbux chai, but then accidentally shared a cinnamon roll with Z (truly honestly forgot until I'd had a few bites)... by then I'd totally given up and had a hot fudge sundae for dessert.  So yeah, bad  Today is a new day!
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 11:51pm
I did well today, no cheats at all.  Trying to take it day by day though since a month seems so darn long when I think about it LOL

Linda - your rules are up to you, but I think the lactation cookies seem reasonable since they're for a reason and it sounds like you don't really like them anyway!

Katherine - yay for a good weigh-in!

Meghan - yogurt (full fat) with granola was my go-to snack while pregnant... and pretty much the only thing I ate the whole time I was preg with D Embarrassed  It was sweet enough to satisfy a sweets craving, but pretty healthy and I think the protein did help too.

Beth - hope you were able to push through without giving in!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>