Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Diaper Chatter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Items for Baby and Mom

Members,
Any thread initiated to promote a company or product that has a current incentive for posting in forums is considered a misuse of the forums and will be removed immediately.  Be sure to read our forum posting policy BEFORE posting on our forums.  Take special note of the following rule:

a. It is acceptable to provide information about a business or product in answer to a question, however threads that are initiated primarily to promote a product, business, or outside discussion list will be treated as SPAM.
Points issued: 5

Thank you for your cooperation,
Diaper Pin Mod and Admin Team

Covers for Super Small Baby

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GreenJessicaA View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covers for Super Small Baby
    Posted: 01 May 2012 at 12:09pm
One of my IRL friends decided to attempt at least part time cloth diapering but is having an issue with covers.  Her DS is over 3 months old and falls into "normal" weight/height ratios but is unbelievably chicken-legged(especially for EBF baby).  He is seriously swimming in 0-3 month clothing.   

I know they have tried flips and still have leg gaps on the smallest settings unless they use a PF and flat together(which is entirely a waste for them since DS refuses to sit in ANY wetness).  They would prefer to purchase OS covers at this point and want snaps rather than velcro.  Their diapers consist entirely of PFs and flats that are pad folded.  They have used a few different styles from my diapers but aren't liking much beyond the PFs/flat combos. 

So, any suggestions for covers? 
Wife to David, Mama to DD(04/07) and DS(08/11) giada md
Sponsored Links

rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 12:21pm
I would try the thirsties sized covers maybe even a size small, with some fleece liners.  Another option and I'm not sure this would work would be to try the thirsties duo size one and some workhorses along with some fleece liners.  If her DS is that small the sized cover might last longer than she thinks, and she'll be able to resell it anyway once he can fit into a OS cover.  From what your saying if he's having that much leg gapping it's unlikely that he would fit into any true OS cover, and at best she'll have to go with the smaller size of a two sized system.  The sized thirsties aren't that expensive, and making fleece liners is super cheap and easy.
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 153 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 2:57pm
I think Duo wraps are great for tiny legs. I think any cover with gussets would work, too.

What about a BB coverall? I didn't use one with a smaller baby, though so I don't really know what weight they start fitting best. Micah had chicken legs for a long time, but I have never used too many OS covers.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
mommyjessica View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 6 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 3:05pm
For pad folding I would go with a snug fitting cover. I think she would prefer that to other one size cover till the flips fit.
Jessica- Wife to Jared, Mommy to Tiffany Eve- born gorgeous 12-31-07, Emily Jane- born lovely 5-10-10, Lucy Renee- born beautiful 10-3-12

Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 153 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 3:11pm
Oh, I just saw she likes to padfold. Definatly Duo wraps then. Rosa/littlehands also makes a OS cover over a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles She says they are great for padfolding, but I'd ask her if they fit a smaller baby well and you'd have to ask for snaps :)

Edited by Clare_S - 01 May 2012 at 3:13pm
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(16)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 239 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 3:57pm

Grovia shells? 

You could mention the resale value of the duos, if she is worried about putting out money on a size they won't use for long.  I don't think I had my up for sale for more than a day before they were gone. 
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Member Rating(16)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 239 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 3:59pm
Fit is everything with pad folding.  She is a trooper for sticking it out with ill fitting covers. 
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 4:47pm
crazy enough, they haven't yet had any leaking--I'm sure its because he hates wetness.  The disposables they use have the blue line on the outside when they are wet-he is already fussing before the line can even turn blue Tongue

I know she's a little bummed they didn't buy some NB sized stuff since they would have gotten quite a bit of use out it but while they were still prego the doc thought baby was going to be large since she measured about 3.5 weeks bigger than "normal" during the 2nd half.

I think I'll recommend the thirsties and the duos.  Do thirsties only come in velcro? 
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 4:47pm
crazy enough, they haven't yet had any leaking--I'm sure its because he hates wetness.  The disposables they use have the blue line on the outside when they are wet-he is already fussing before the line can even turn blue Tongue

I know she's a little bummed they didn't buy some NB sized stuff since they would have gotten quite a bit of use out it but while they were still prego the doc thought baby was going to be large since she measured about 3.5 weeks bigger than "normal" during the 2nd half.

I think I'll recommend the thirsties and the duos.  Do thirsties only come in velcro? 
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 4:48pm

rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 5:12pm
No they come in snaps as well. You could also have her buy a yard of fleece to cut into rectangles for the stay dry effect. It might make him more comfortable, and I'd say definitely more comfy than a sposie.
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 153 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 5:13pm
Duos come in snaps, sized only in velcro.
 Post Reply Post Reply