Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Frugal Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: taowensf
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Soap Nuts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
lstols View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 258 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote lstols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Soap Nuts
    Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 12:39pm
Does anyone use them for laundry? What about diaper laundry?  I'm thinking of replacing the fels naptha with soap nut powder in my laundry detergent mix.  Any thoughts?
Laura - Mom to DS 5/05, DD 4/07, DD 9/10, DS 4/13
Sponsored Links

cowboyswife View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 248 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote cowboyswife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 2:04pm
I don't know about the powder at all, but I use soap nuts with borax on my diapers and just soap nuts on my regular laundry... I love them and I especially like that they leave no scent!
~Heather
Wife to T and Mommy to two on earth and two in heaven.
Using my "spare" time to do a little sewing - www.facebook.com/createdbycowgirl http://www.cowgirlscreations.ca
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 29 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 2:28pm
I used regular soap nuts in the bag on my clothes and diapers for about a year. They worked great, but I am just taking a break from them right now. I don't know anything about soap nuts powder, though.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), and a baby boy coming in May.
lstols View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 258 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote lstols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 3:38pm
Why are you taking a break from them?  Also, do you leave the bag in the wash for the entire cycle?
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 29 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 3:46pm
I just got tired of messing with them, to be honest. Don't get me wrong, they are easy and work well. But, you just have to load the bag, search for it as you put everything in the dryer, and start to test them after a few loads to make sure they're still good. I had a bag for clothes and a bag for diapers because the hot water from the diaper load wears them out faster. I guess I just wanted a break and scooping Country Save is easier!

I did leave them in for the full cycle. The cold rinse water doesn't wear them out.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), and a baby boy coming in May.
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 29 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 3:50pm
They really are a frugal way to go, though. I saved all my "done" soap nuts and boiled them into a liquid when I saved up enough of them. You can use that liquid as more laundry soap, or clean your house with it, etc.
lstols View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 258 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote lstols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 4:32pm
I've decided to give them a try.  I'll have them by Wednesday.
HC in KC View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 27 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote HC in KC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 10:37am
I'm late to the party, but I used them for a while. I loved them, but I never got around to ordering more. Our new house has a FLer, and I have been too lazy to try them again. I used them for all our laundry. I felt like the clothes and diapers had never been as clean as they were with soap nuts. No scent, no residue, just clean. Extra bonus that there is no plastic container waste, and they can go in a compost pile. :) I hope they are working out for you!
Holly
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 12:57pm
I have used them and their ok. I kind of liked them for laundry for a wile and them didn't find they cut it after that but maybe that was just my imagination.
I have experimented a bit with making my own liquid and i prefer that. I preserved mine with GSE & potassium sorbate so that I didn't have to keep it in the fridge. I prefer the liquid for laundry.

I also loved the liqid for a shampoo (scented it with EO) and baby bath for DS. It makes the most amazing household cleaner which happens to be the best glass/mirror cleaner I have ever used. Hmm this has me thinking that maybe I should make some more :)
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
Jaimeis View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaimeis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2012 at 6:42pm
I have used them.  They do a a pretty good job, you have to pretreat stains.  I used them for diapers, but they don't work in my water by themselves, I just use them now as a laundry booster in my diapers.  
Jaime, wife to my beloved Andrew (3/06), mommy to Liam Nathanael(8/07) and Elijah Gideon (12/09)

My Family Blog
lstols View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 258 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote lstols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2012 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by samsmum samsmum wrote:

I have used them and their ok. I kind of liked them for laundry for a wile and them didn't find they cut it after that but maybe that was just my imagination.
I have experimented a bit with making my own liquid and i prefer that. I preserved mine with GSE & potassium sorbate so that I didn't have to keep it in the fridge. I prefer the liquid for laundry.

I also loved the liqid for a shampoo (scented it with EO) and baby bath for DS. It makes the most amazing household cleaner which happens to be the best glass/mirror cleaner I have ever used. Hmm this has me thinking that maybe I should make some more :)
Soap nut liquid? Or other liquid recipe?  Does the liquid dry out your hair?  Do you still use a conditioner?  Do you have to use a preservative?

I have been thinking about brewing a liquid with the nuts, so that I don't have to locate the bag of them each time.  They seem to have been working ok, I add a scoop of borax/washing soda to the wash as well and I think that helps. 
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 12:22am
I have used soap nuts liquid on my hair. I didi't find it dried my hair out. I use conditioner because  I have dry hair. You can keep it in the fridge for about a wek without preserving it but I found it easier to preserve it.
I found they worked better with a scoop of borax or washing soda too.
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
trisha82 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
2 years 64 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote trisha82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2012 at 11:52pm
Soap nuts? I learn so much hanging out around here...
BabyRN View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote BabyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 4:22pm
I use them sometimes. I have found them to clean well, for both diapers and clothes, but as a PP said, they are a pain in the rear, at the same time. I hate the guess work on whether the soap nuts are still good, and having to dig the bag out of the laundry. I probably won't buy any more.
Beth, Mom to Sugar Bum and the Cupcake!n giada md
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 9:26pm
What on earth are soap nuts!?
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(35)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 29 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2012 at 9:20am
You can read about them here This is where I buy mine
 Post Reply Post Reply