Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

NIght Time Peeing / Leaking

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hunteenie View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hunteenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NIght Time Peeing / Leaking
    Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 11:33am
My almost 10 month old is always leaking out of his diapers in the night.  The next morning his jammies are always wet.  I use flats and covers.  I tried the wool and didn't like it.  The wool was always damp in the morning and his jammies still got wet.  Plus the pee smell built up after 3 mornings of being saturated.  I lanolized it 3 times and he is still damp, so I stopped using the wool.  Maybe I can see if I can get the covers on tighter.  I also use 2 doubleners to help absorb, but he still leaks.  Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links

RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 12:13pm
Something like this can make a wool cover go a little longer...we use it with our DD.  Maybe stack up two or three of these with your little super soaker.

http://www.babeegreens.com/shop/details/89/4/babee-greens/wool-diaper-liner
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 12:17pm
Something like this can make a wool cover go a little longer...we use it with our DD.  Maybe stack up two or three of these with your little super soaker.

http://www.babeegreens.com/shop/details/89/4/babee-greens/wool-diaper-liner

Also, people really like the Sandy's diapers for overnight.  I haven't used them myself, but I've ordered two and I'm really looking forward to trying them out.  My prefolds aren't absorbent enough for nights and DD has a rash every morning so I really hope the Sandy's do the trick.

What kind of doublers are you using?  Hemp might do a better job than plan cotton...

Good luck!

(argh, sorry for the double post...slow computer and impatient button pusher here)

Edited by RachelD - 30 Apr 2012 at 12:18pm
gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 1:40pm
You might just need more absorbancy... are the diapers completely soaked by morning?  We have similar issues with my little one.  Right now we either use a Sandy with 3 hemp doublers (2 joeybunz and 1 GMD stay dry) or a bububebe fitted diaper with 1 hemp doubler.  We use blueberry coveralls over them.  They are pretty well soaked by the morning but she usually doesn't leak.  She wears wool shorties over the PUL cover to contain leaks as well. 

Our problem stems from the fact that she drinks a lot right before bed and wakes up hungry for more in the middle of the night.  We are trying to reduce how much she drinks at night and hope that will reduce the amount of night time pee! 
Amy, married to Josh (2002), mommy to Amelia (2011) giada md
Hunteenie View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Hunteenie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 8:17pm
We use a fleece/hemp doubler and either a cotton one or another hemp one inside the flat, wrapped in a cover.  I looked at the Sandy diapers.  Would you wrap those diapers in a cover too?  His diapers are completely soaked in the morning with wet stains on his jammies.  Although, Dr. just said he should start to eat more solids and have less formula, so maybe less formula will equal less pee at night.  I think, maybe because his diapers are soaked they are getting the fabric edge of the covers wet which wicks onto his clothes.  Well, tonight I tried 3 doublers, 1 hemp, 1 cotton and 1 fleece/hemp.  We'll see. thanks for you suggestions. 
hleannie View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Perennial Pinner
4 years 303 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote hleannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 8:27pm
How are you folding your flats? I found that a pad folded flat inside an oragami folded flat put the layers of absorbency where they were needed most and then we covered with a polar fleece soaker.
Heather =]
Look! I finally fixed this signature!
gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 9:12pm
Yes, you will still need a cover over the Sandy diapers.
Amy, married to Josh (2002), mommy to Amelia (2011) giada md
babykisses View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote babykisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 10:00pm
Hello!

We had the same issue with our little one and he is 15 months old now. He drinks 2 bottles at night and is a super soaker! :) We use Thirsties fab fitted diapers with an extra insert (SoftBums Bamboo Pod) and a cover. This has kept his clothes dry by morning. Also, you only need 2 or 3 (if you are washing your diapers every 2-3 days) which is nice! Hope this helps! :)

http://www.kushietushies.com/item_171/Thirsties-Fab-Fitted-Snaps.htm
rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 10:27pm
A good rule of thumb is if the diaper is soaking wet in the AM it isn't absorbent enough.  Wool is excellent, but it's only as good as the diaper under it, because it isn't waterproof, but water resistant. Wool will absorb 30% of it's weight in water before it begins to wick to the outside, if you exceed that you'lll find it damp on the outside in the morning.  I don't know what kind of covers your using at night, but that might also be part of your problem if they have FOE around the binding. 

I had really great luck with Sandy's at night, and also with Mandi's Menagerie First and Last diapers (I like the MM best..no kid can pee through those). I paired them both with a loveybums interlock wrap, or SBish soaker and after that I never had a leak.  The other person who mentioned adding a pad folded flat to the origami or kite folded flat is also right, it adds quite a bit of absorbency where you need it most.
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
mykaylis View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote mykaylis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 3:38pm
i'm having a problem with leaking too - probably just not enough absorbency. right now i'm using AMP two-layer hemp inserts, two of them set in a BSWW. i did the same thing in a thirsties duo wrap and didn't leak so i don't know if that was a lucky night or if the wrap style made a big difference.

i confess i've been using disposables more often than not because of the night leak factor, but i really don't like doing that if i can help it.

i have flannel flats, flannel fitteds (which aren't very absorbant), bummis prefolds, other prefolds, and 2-layer AMP hemp inserts to choose from. i really can't afford to buy new fluff though i do have some new wraps coming in soon (blueberry, thirsties duo, sweet peas). any suggestions?
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 253 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 4:14pm
A Sandy's w/ a pad-folded flat in the center does the trick for all but the most exceptionally heavy wetters.  Cover that in wool, and it will do even better.  

If you don't have a nice, roomy fitted to stick a pad-folded flat into, I'd agree w/ PP, that you should fasten the flat on them w/ a pad-folded flat inside (and maybe a hemp doubler folded into the pad).
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2012 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by rustygriffen rustygriffen wrote:

A good rule of thumb is if the diaper is soaking wet in the AM it isn't absorbent enough.  Wool is excellent, but it's only as good as the diaper under it, because it isn't waterproof, but water resistant. Wool will absorb 30% of it's weight in water before it begins to wick to the outside, if you exceed that you'lll find it damp on the outside in the morning.  I don't know what kind of covers your using at night, but that might also be part of your problem if they have FOE around the binding. 

I had really great luck with Sandy's at night, and also with Mandi's Menagerie First and Last diapers (I like the MM best..no kid can pee through those). I paired them both with a loveybums interlock wrap, or SBish soaker and after that I never had a leak.  The other person who mentioned adding a pad folded flat to the origami or kite folded flat is also right, it adds quite a bit of absorbency where you need it most.

My DS is a super soaker. Always has been. I've never been able to make cotton by itself work for overnights. Bamboo has always been my go to fabric for night time. Our bamboo fitteds are being repaired so I've been experimenting for the last month or so. What seems to work best is a large bamboo flat padfolded inside a cotton prefold. Very bulky but works. Bamboo just seems to hold the pee inside of it. I prefer it to hemp myself. Another combo that works okay but not as well is a padfolded prefold inside another prefold with a hemp babies insert and a bamboo doubler. Bamboo fleece (the kind that Sustainable Babyish uses seems to be more absorbant than some of the other thinner bamboo fleece or bamboo velour). They are my favourite doublers by a long shot.
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
 Post Reply Post Reply