Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Diaper Chatter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Items for Baby and Mom

Members,
Any thread initiated to promote a company or product that has a current incentive for posting in forums is considered a misuse of the forums and will be removed immediately.  Be sure to read our forum posting policy BEFORE posting on our forums.  Take special note of the following rule:

a. It is acceptable to provide information about a business or product in answer to a question, however threads that are initiated primarily to promote a product, business, or outside discussion list will be treated as SPAM.
Points issued: 5

Thank you for your cooperation,
Diaper Pin Mod and Admin Team

Troubleshooting wool

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
GreenJessicaA View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Troubleshooting wool
    Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 4:17pm
Alright, I'll start with saying that Ped claims DS has eczema but I'm not entirely sold on that being the issue(though its possible).  He doesn't have any particular pattern to his break outs(from a few days between breakout to a couple of months).  When he breaks out his skin is red-colored but there is absolutely no texture or dryness(like super mild petechiae)  Slathering him up in lotion for sensitive skin seems to help and so does taking a bath.  We have used products for eczema and they work but so do most products without dyes, scents etc(which tend to be for eczema anyway).  Learning from Clare's experience here that lanolin and wool make eczema worse makes me doubt this more.  I can put lanolin lotion all over him with no issues ever.  In fact, Grandma Els is one product that will almost instantly bring the redness down. 

DH has contact dermatitis that is set off by animal hair, plants and some textures--I'm betting DS's issues are more along this line. 

Anyhoo---
It seems to be an issue for DS when he is wearing some of his wool interlock.  He gets the redness around the leg cuffs of his soakers and (very rarely) around the waistband.  This only seems to happen when he has soaked his diaper pretty well(like naps or car rides).  He has no problem in his knit soakers or in interlock longies/shorties.  Could it possibly just be the tightness of the cuffs paired with dampness?  Any ideas?

ETA: Strangely enough, the current offending soakers are the ones that were washed in unscented wool wash vs. lavender and the eucalyptus washed soakers.  Confused   

Edited by GreenJessicaA - 29 Apr 2012 at 4:19pm
Wife to David, Mama to DD(04/07) and DS(08/11) giada md
Sponsored Links

rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 4:21pm
That sounds more like chaffing to me. Maybe you could try to lanolize those areas very well.
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 177 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 8:54pm
I don't have much in the way of wool advice. But, I'm thinking there may be an issue with the tighter leg cuffs of the soakers causing the redness. Or the wool wash? Or...? I don't know! Sorry, Jessica.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 11:59am
Well, I washed and relanolized the offending soakers last night.  I guess I'll try them again.

I'm not sure about the wool wash being the culprit.  I used eucalan on all of the wool I have and not all of it bothers him.  I know for sure the soakers that cause the problem were washed in unscented but I have others that don't bother him washed in unscented as well. 

Its possible they were just ready for a wash...but that doesn't explain why the redness started within a week of washing.  I guess we'll see.  May have to ditch the interlock soakers and stick with shorties or knit soakers
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by GreenJessicaA GreenJessicaA wrote:

Alright, I'll start with saying that Ped claims DS has eczema but I'm not entirely sold on that being the issue(though its possible).  He doesn't have any particular pattern to his break outs(from a few days between breakout to a couple of months).  When he breaks out his skin is red-colored but there is absolutely no texture or dryness(like super mild petechiae)  Slathering him up in lotion for sensitive skin seems to help and so does taking a bath.  We have used products for eczema and they work but so do most products without dyes, scents etc(which tend to be for eczema anyway).  Learning from Clare's experience here that lanolin and wool make eczema worse makes me doubt this more.  I can put lanolin lotion all over him with no issues ever.  In fact, Grandma Els is one product that will almost instantly bring the redness down. 

DH has contact dermatitis that is set off by animal hair, plants and some textures--I'm betting DS's issues are more along this line. 

Anyhoo---
It seems to be an issue for DS when he is wearing some of his wool interlock.  He gets the redness around the leg cuffs of his soakers and (very rarely) around the waistband.  This only seems to happen when he has soaked his diaper pretty well(like naps or car rides).  He has no problem in his knit soakers or in interlock longies/shorties.  Could it possibly just be the tightness of the cuffs paired with dampness?  Any ideas?

ETA: Strangely enough, the current offending soakers are the ones that were washed in unscented wool wash vs. lavender and the eucalyptus washed soakers.  Confused   

A couple of thoughts... first what you said about eczema being made worse by wool and lanolin is only true for some.  Both of my boys have eczema (worse with my ODS) and both of them can wear wool AND seem to do better the more heavily the wool is lanolized (I only use unscented wool washes and pure lanolin).  I also use lanolin to treat rashes and it helps them both.  From everything I've learned over the years, there seem to be many different different causes and treatments of eczema - often complete opposite things from person to person.

I've recently been having issues with my YDS getting a rash on his leg near the diaper area.  I wondered at first if it was the wool, but have figured out that it's not by process of elimination.  The issue for us appears to be a wet diaper rubbing on his skin (worse if it's a serged fitted, but even a pinned flat will do it ).  My current answer is padfolded flats in PUL covers since the wet part of the diaper never touches the area where he gets the rash.  He still wears a fastened flat with an interlock soaker overnight and he will have some irritation in the morning, but as long as I change to a diaper that doesn't touch that area it goes away quickly.  So for now, he's wearing wool shorties over PUL covers Embarrassed

Hope you figure out what's causing it for your LO!
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote GreenJessicaA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by mrscakes mrscakes wrote:

A couple of thoughts... first what you said about eczema being made worse by wool and lanolin is only true for some.  Both of my boys have eczema (worse with my ODS) and both of them can wear wool AND seem to do better the more heavily the wool is lanolized (I only use unscented wool washes and pure lanolin).  I also use lanolin to treat rashes and it helps them both.  From everything I've learned over the years, there seem to be many different different causes and treatments of eczema - often complete opposite things from person to person.

I've recently been having issues with my YDS getting a rash on his leg near the diaper area.  I wondered at first if it was the wool, but have figured out that it's not by process of elimination.  The issue for us appears to be a wet diaper rubbing on his skin (worse if it's a serged fitted, but even a pinned flat will do it ).  My current answer is padfolded flats in PUL covers since the wet part of the diaper never touches the area where he gets the rash.  He still wears a fastened flat with an interlock soaker overnight and he will have some irritation in the morning, but as long as I change to a diaper that doesn't touch that area it goes away quickly.  So for now, he's wearing wool shorties over PUL covers Embarrassed

Hope you figure out what's causing it for your LO!

I hadn't thought about that.  It it possible that the wet diaper edges are causing the problem.  We use GMD workhorses with our wool and the redness is always worse at the edges of the diaper(but it does spread to the area of the cover cuffs/waist).  When we use PUL it is with pad folded flats and PFs so we don't have any problems.  I'll have to look into that too.  A combination of the wet diaper and the tighter cuffs may be the whole problem, not just wool.  Thanks Mama!
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 177 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 1:37pm
Yeah, all their skin is different and wool won't irritate all kiddos with eczema. I probably wouldn't have suspected the wool unless the dermatologist said 3 times for me to avoid wool and lanolin. Though, the problem was staring me right in the face.

Jessica, I hope you can find a solution for your LO. And one that doesn't mean ditching the super cute soakers or Workhorses!
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 2:36pm
Maybe you could try something stretchy like a disana or size up. I know I've been chaffed like that when hiking with wet shorts rubbing my skin. I hope you figure it out
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
MomBeck View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote MomBeck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 6:15pm
Does the interlock has something else in it like polyester or nylon? Maybe they have latex in the elastic? Sorry you're dealing with this, skin problems are such a bugger to figure out!
 Post Reply Post Reply