Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Diaper Chatter
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: Sarah2106
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Items for Baby and Mom

Members,
Any thread initiated to promote a company or product that has a current incentive for posting in forums is considered a misuse of the forums and will be removed immediately.  Be sure to read our forum posting policy BEFORE posting on our forums.  Take special note of the following rule:

a. It is acceptable to provide information about a business or product in answer to a question, however threads that are initiated primarily to promote a product, business, or outside discussion list will be treated as SPAM.
Points issued: 5

Thank you for your cooperation,
Diaper Pin Mod and Admin Team

Covers Wearing Out

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LKuepfer View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote LKuepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Covers Wearing Out
    Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 6:36pm
Hi,
My covers are really showing wear and I'd like to figure out why before I buy any new ones. I got them last summer so they are less than a year old. I also rotate them with some fuzzi bunz so they are used probably half the time. I have two thirsties, and one whisper wrap bummis and one ruperooz. (this one is still fairly new so it's fine)

The velcro tabs don't stick well at all any more. Last summer I thought nothing of just having her in a shirt and cute cover , but now I'm scared it will come off. The laundry tabs are coming off, unstitching and the one thirsty will soak through the PUL sometimes. I have finely figured out I have soft water so I have cut back on soap but I still am bleaching them every load to keep the night diapers under control. (I'm still struggling with those) I also have an iron in my water that eventually turns all whites and other light colours a slight orange off white especially if I use bleach. I  have a kiwi pie diaper that is literally falling apart. It's also very yellowed from the iron. It went through a long rinsing cycle when my water softener was out of salt and I didn't know it.

So my question is, is this normal wear and I should switch to snaps instead (I'd much prefer velcro but not if it won't stick.) or is it the bleach and iron that is doing it. Thanks
Sponsored Links

ShannonM1976 View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote ShannonM1976 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 6:45pm
As far as I know you aren't supposed to bleach PUL but maybe I'm going off from outdated information? I haven't read anything about it in a while.
Married 2 the best man on earth
Mama 3 girls & a boy
Surromom boy 6/18/05
Birthmom boy 8/31/00
Life Changes
littlehands View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote littlehands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 6:52pm
I would think most PUL could take occasional bleaching and come out okay. However, if you're running bleach in every load with your covers, I would make a pretty good guess that it is wearing everything out pretty quickly.
Rosa, Mom to Six- 15 to 2 years, + a newbie coming in Aug!
I sew and am a freelance writer. PM me! Find me a href="http://hyenacart.com/stores/PinsandNeedles/" target="_blank" rel="nofollow">Pins and Needles
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 6:52pm
I had some duos that started leaking, which I figured out was the bleach in my routine. When do you add the bleach? I started adding it to the pre rinse, but leaving the covers out, until the hot wash, when I only added soap and the covers. They still got a little bleach that was left in the diapers, but not enough to ruin them.
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
LKuepfer View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote LKuepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 7:04pm
Thanks, I was thinking too it's probably the bleach. I've only been using it regularly maybe since Christmas but I've been too lazy to separate the covers before I do the bleach rinse. I add bleach to my first cold rinse. I guess I'll start waiting to add the covers until I add the soap.

And as far as velcro versus snaps? is this from the bleach too or is it normal to have them quit sticking?
kaheels View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote kaheels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 7:15pm
My Thirsties velcro started falling apart and not sticking as well after only a couple of months and I was not using bleach at all and line drying. I am definitely a fan of snaps as far as durability goes and feel like Thirsties are a bit flimsy. A lot of people have good experiences with them, but I love my Grovia snap shells. I also have some Capris now, but I can't speak to their durability as they are quite new.
LKuepfer View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote LKuepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 7:30pm
A capri cover is what I want to buy next, I just need to decide on snaps or velcro.
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 250 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:33pm
I know it wears out quicker, but I really prefer velcro for padfolding. The Capri velco is better quality than Thirsties if that helps at all.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
LKuepfer View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote LKuepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 9:39pm
Thanks that does help! and it's pad folding I want to do too, so that helps as well. Is 3/4 year time span normal for velcro wearing out?
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 10:04pm
When my duos went, I contacted thier customer service and she said their warrenty time was 9 months.  I would bet that you are in the normal range
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 10:24pm
I wash my covers with my regular laundry (and no bleach) so that I an put a splash of bleach in my diaper laundry every time.
Amy, married to Josh (2002), mommy to Amelia (2011) giada md
Jaimeis View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaimeis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 11:29pm
I have used my Thirsties duo wraps for 2.5 years straight and the velcro didn't give me trouble until recently.  They are the only thing I use (for the most part) and get washed every other day.  I air dry them and don't use bleach on them.

The velcro sticks well, but the threads are coming out that attach the two pieces to each other.  Their is some pilling on the velcro, but all of the velcro is still functioning.

The leg gussets have given out on a number of them (at about 2 years). 
Jaime, wife to my beloved Andrew (3/06), mommy to Liam Nathanael(8/07) and Elijah Gideon (12/09)

My Family Blog
cowboyswife View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote cowboyswife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 11:34pm
I have Thirsties covers that were used regularly for almost 18 months, and while the Velcro doesn't look that great it still holds fine, but I'm sure bleach wouldn't do any favors to the longevity of Velcro either... It's pretty hard on anything if it's used regularly. I will say that Thirsties arent THE most durable covers in the world...somehow I still lOve them.

Edited by cowboyswife - 27 Apr 2012 at 11:37pm
~Heather
Wife to T and Mommy to two on earth and two in heaven.
Using my "spare" time to do a little sewing - www.facebook.com/createdbycowgirl http://www.cowgirlscreations.ca
rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 11:58pm
Yea, bleach is fine for regular diapers, but I try to avoid it with the covers (they rarely really need it anyway). Another thing I think is a good idea is to wash your covers separately in a gentler wash cycle than the diapers, they don't need the same kind of aggressive wash routine. Velcro definitely tends to wear out quicker than snaps, and I think thirsties are a bit more delicate of a cover.
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 287 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 1:57am
I used to wash covers w/ clothes (unless they were soiled), and I think that helped a lot.  It cuts down on the wear and tear from all the diaper washing.  Snaps definitely last longer than aplix, but I prefer aplix because it's faster, and you can get a more custom fit. 

FWIW, I suspect that because you have a smaller rotation of covers, they are just plain getting worn out.  Perhaps less bleach & long dipe. cycles would help, but even w/ only 1/2 time use, 4 covers is pretty minimal.  I'd suggest you either try using 6 or more covers in your rotation, or expect to replace them more frequently.  Either way, I think they served you pretty well.  You've probably saved a lot of $!  My covers are all in much better shape and much older, but I have a ton of them Embarrassed.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
LKuepfer View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote LKuepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 4:06pm
Thanks everyone, I like the thought of being told I can buy more covers!Tongue My Bummis Whisper Wrap's velcro is not working well either but I saw on this forum somewhere that this is a cheaper diaper cover as well. I like the velcro too, it's so much faster.

Part of the reason I do them with diaper laundry is because I most often pad fold and then they are usually soiled from a poop. Those of you who wash them with other laundry, do you do that too if they are soiled? I do need to at least start not adding them until after I do the bleach rinse. The leg gussets are giving out in one of them too. I also some how think it could some how be connected to the iron because it was in that same load I rinsed and rinsed and then caught on they all turned yellow because our softener was out of salt.

My bummis wet bag is leaking too and it just dawned on me it's probably from the bleach as well. Oh well you live and learn and then get to buy new stuff!
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 250 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 4:15pm
I mostly wash my covers with clothes. Even ones I padfold with. I spray all the poop off and just toss it in my clothes hamper. Yeah, I am thinking the bleach is killing your covers. Yup, live and learn and be happy it is only PUL.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
threekstrio View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
10 years 83 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote threekstrio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 5:31pm
Bleach and drying in the dryer will kill your covers prematurely.
I wash all of my covers separately from any other items in a warm wash and air dry them.
Yes, I BABY my diapers and covers! Wink
clove View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote clove Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:03am
How much bleach do you use?
LKuepfer View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote LKuepfer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 1:27am
I don't measure very exactly but about a splash when putting it in straight and lately I've been dumping some in a bottle and adding water to fill it then adding maybe say about 1/6 or 1/4 of the bottle. So doing a rough guess maybe a 1/4 cup per load. 
 Post Reply Post Reply