Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Frugal Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: taowensf
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Bummer...I know I have at least one Roo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 155 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bummer...I know I have at least one Roo
    Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 3:03pm
As much as I wished for a roo or two so I could downsize even further, I'm sad now becuase these girls are fun! I don't want to have to get rid of the roos! Here they are, 4 weeks old:
Scarlett (Roo?)

Unnamed (Pullet)

Dartha (Pullet):

Lukie (Pullet):

Lucy (Pullet):

Ethel (Pullet):

Martha (Roo?):

Lay-a (Pullet):

We still have Cupcake, a runt or Bantam or something, hope she lives! :

And we also have 2 Welsummers that I didn't have time to photograph, and they aren't anything special LOL

"Quit taking my picture or I'll peck your eyes out!"

Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
Sponsored Links

ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 3:58pm
no IRL experience here as you know, but i remember reading somewhere that the "saddle feathers" are the best indictor of roo-status.

txmom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 76 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote txmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 4:18pm
They may surprise you yet.  Some of our hens have rather large combs and I have a hard time guessing for sure when they are that young.

And you may want to keep them anyway.  We enjoy our roosters - we usually have 2-4 at a time.  IME, they are more alert than the hens and are first to warn the others to potential danger.  Ours free range and we have the space for them so it isn't a big deal for us that they don't lay.  We did have one that got too agressive so we ate him.
Linda

Wife of 14 years to Troy, mama of E 10/07 J 09/09 and S 10/11
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 162 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 4:19pm
They're so sweet!

Honestly I couldn't tell my roo from the others till he was quite old...at least 10 weeks or so! Maybe Scarlett will surprise you and be a girl after all but I agree "it" looks suspiciously male.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
sunsmiles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 138 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunsmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 5:08pm
Could be... I keep wondering about mine too, but it's so hard to compare since I have one of a few different breeds.
Meghan

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world." -Mahatma Gandhi    
mommy2five0406070911 View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommy2five0406070911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 5:35pm
Don't feel bad Jess I think I have one also!!! I'll have to take pictures this weekend and post them.  We put them out to their coop this past weekend and they have done great and love all the space.  I have the other 30 coming still May 7th and I am nervous of how I will introduce the older ones to the younger and not have them have too many issues.  However, I did read that its really hard to tell this early so there might be some hope for us:)
Jenn wife to Jamie 5/05 & Mommy of Kai (8),Zay (6),Liv(4),Brady (3),Max (9 months)& 2 dogs and 7 puppies, 5 bunnies, 48 chickens, and 16 ducks!   to,488px)div
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 155 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 6:20pm
Linda - we technically can't keep them in the city. There's a no roo ordinance. BUT, if he isn't a nuisance, we plan to keep him as long as possible. 
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
txmom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 76 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote txmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 6:51pm
Well, I can see why they have an ordinance.  Ours are very vocal and it is LOUD.  You wouldn't be able to hide them very well .
Linda

Wife of 14 years to Troy, mama of E 10/07 J 09/09 and S 10/11
chicka.chicka View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote chicka.chicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:53pm
Scarlett does look a little suspicious to me, too, but we could be wrong.  I think one of my 6 Barred Rocks might be a roo, too.  Its comb is already quite a bit bigger than the other 5 birds'.  They're about 4 weeks old, too.
LORI, Wife to Shane & Mom to: Benjamin(14), Elizabeth(13), Thomas(11), Olivia(9), Joshua(4), Rebekah(2), and Andrew (11/27/13)
~*~Parenting consists of long days and short years.~*~
Gotchickens View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 193 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gotchickens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 12:49am
I would have to agree that Scarlet looks like a rooster. Also, Lucy kinda of does too. Some other signs you can watch for, to tell, would be aggressive behavior toward other chicks, lighter in color than chicks of the same breed (this one holds true a lot), the head starting to become oval shaped from beak to back of head, and not making pullet noises. The last one might be harder to tell but if you listen to the pullets they make a very definite noise that a male will not make. 
Sarah ~:>

Full time Mom to Peter, Joshua, and Helen. Two peas in a pod with the love of my life Dan 7/4/2009.k
catadese View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(10)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 331 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote catadese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 10:51am
We always got rid of our roosters.  WHen my brother started keeping chickens he didn't.  Then his son was spurred in the eye.  He told my Dad he realized now why we never kept the roosters.  
Mama to 9- 6 boys and 3 girls
jessmomto2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by catadese catadese wrote:

We always got rid of our roosters.  WHen my brother started keeping chickens he didn't.  Then his son was spurred in the eye.  He told my Dad he realized now why we never kept the roosters.  

Oh, geez!  That's why we got rid of one of our roo's.  He was very aggressive and had attacked DS once and got his leg.  We were afraid next time could be worse.  Was your nephew ok?
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 3:29pm
It is early to tell for sure still.  Last year we did have a couple who had bigger combs than some of the others, but it wasn't a 100% thing.  We had some girls who had bigger combs too.  One of the roo's was about 6 months old before it ever acted aggressive or crowed. So even behavior isn't a sure thing.  But we knew we had 2 roo's by i think 7 weeks as they were starting to fight at times, and occasionally a 3rd one would join in on the tussle.  Ours did the thing where they jump up and kick each other in the head.Wacko
I understand your concern with the no roo ordinance.  They are pretty noisy.  Our boys start crowing at about 4:30 every morning.  One is right outside our bedroom window too but we've learned to sleep through it if the window is shut.
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 35 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 11:18pm
i'm not too sure why roo's aren't usually allowed in a place where chickens are. Is it the aggressiveness and the crowing the reason that roo's aren't usually wanted?
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(64)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 155 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 11:22pm
They're just a nuisance I think
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 35 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by stegmanjessica stegmanjessica wrote:

They're just a nuisance I think

ah okay. our city has a 2 chicken and no rooster rule but no one could tell me why. thanks :)
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 9:18am
I always thought it was the noise.  Most people in town don't want to listen to a rooster crowing every morning at 4:30 AM.  Not all roosters are nasty and some are even more friendly than hens.
Jess

catadese View Drop Down
P'infamous
P'infamous

Member Rating(10)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 331 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote catadese Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 7:45pm
I'd guess the noise.  DN was ok.  He had to have stitches in his eyebrow and a bit of his eyelid.  
Mama to 9- 6 boys and 3 girls
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by catadese catadese wrote:

I'd guess the noise.  DN was ok.  He had to have stitches in his eyebrow and a bit of his eyelid.  

That's good.  He was lucky.
Jess

Post Reply Post Reply