Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Ahh! I did something bad!!!! Tide help?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ahh! I did something bad!!!! Tide help?
    Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 12:02pm
I just washed my diapers in Tide ultra.  2 TBSP in teh hot wash and I washed until there were no bubbles, but they still smell, strongly like tide and feel like I used fabric softener.

The sales woman at the Cloth diaper store said it works great AND i believed her!!!  What have I done!!!!????!!!??? Please tell me it's okay.......

Edited by mom4moju - 27 Apr 2012 at 12:15pm
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
Sponsored Links

Jaimeis View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaimeis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 12:47pm
I use TIDE (4 TBSP) for my diapers - works great!!!  I love it.  It does smell.

I'm sure if you don't like it a few washes in something else will solve your problem.  You could also try stripping with DAWN (1 TBSP) if you feel like they still have soap on them.
Jaime, wife to my beloved Andrew (3/06), mommy to Liam Nathanael(8/07) and Elijah Gideon (12/09)

My Family Blog
gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 12:49pm
I used to use tide on my diapers (I switched to All free and clear because it is cheaper) but we used the one with no fragrance.  It's called Tide Ultra Free and Gentle.  It never caused any problems for us.  You could try using them and see if they repel?

I think if there is a problem then you'd just have to strip them but I am sure someone else will chime in with details.  I've never stripped my diapers.
Amy, married to Josh (2002), mommy to Amelia (2011) giada md
northwoods View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 2:09pm
They'll just smell like tide for a while. 

My mother washed mine in Tide once, no harm done.   They did smell like Tide until several washes later.
I also acquired some MEOS and MEAFs from a friend that had been washed in Tide for 6 months.   They were fine.   The Tide smell lingered for a long time though.
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(34)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 232 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 3:19pm
You could try some vinegar. I am sure it will be fine, just might take some rinsing.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(60)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 222 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 3:32pm
I routinely wash in Tide and love it! I only use 1-2Tbsp though, and rinse several times.
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
cowboyswife View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote cowboyswife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 3:43pm
Blech, tide smell is almost enough to give me a headache, but it won't hurt anything :P good luck getting rid of it!
~Heather
Wife to T and Mommy to two on earth and two in heaven.
Using my "spare" time to do a little sewing - www.facebook.com/createdbycowgirl http://www.cowgirlscreations.ca
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 3:55pm
Just have to adjust after three years of smell free diapers

Jessica, do you have a top loader? Jaime, same question to you?
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by cowboyswife cowboyswife wrote:

Blech, tide smell is almost enough to give me a headache, but it won't hurt anything :P good luck getting rid of it!

You know, as I was folding I could feel a bit of a headache coming on. Once I was done and had them away I was fine.
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 246 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by cowboyswife cowboyswife wrote:

This!
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 6:25pm
I used original ultra Tide when I was sort of fed up with trying to figure out a wash routine that works for us (still working on that). It washed beautifully, but I was also put off by the strong fragrance. I did extra extra rinses. Now that things have been washed in BioKleen brand a couple of times, I don't smell the Tide anymore. An aquaintence always washed in Tide, and her PFs and fitteds were on their third LO, and she had never had to strip them and never had repelling or leaks. I think a couple of washings with something else will take care of it.
stegmanjessica View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(60)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 222 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote stegmanjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 6:27pm
I do have a top loader. 2 Tbsp of Tide in a top loader is crazy nothing. After my rinses I do still smell a tiny bit of Tide, but not once they're done drying. 
Daughter of the Living God, Wife to my hard working hubby, Home Schooling Mama to John (7/06), Jeanine (8/08), and William (4/10)
Jaimeis View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaimeis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 10:56pm
I have a front loader - 4 TBSP is a LOT :)  But it is what works to get my toddler dipes clean with our water in town.  I add a wet towel to the wash to trick the machine into adding more water, do my cold rinse on the gentle cycle (with Bac Out) which uses more water as well. 

I do strip about every 2 months (whenever DSs pee makes the diaper smell like rotten cabbage Embarrassed.  After stripping I use a little bleach (after taking PUL out) and rinse them like crazy. 

I don't think my diapers smell like anything, but it is probably because I use TIDE for all of my laundry.  If I used fragrance free detergent, I figure I might be able to tell. 

Jaime, wife to my beloved Andrew (3/06), mommy to Liam Nathanael(8/07) and Elijah Gideon (12/09)

My Family Blog
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by stegmanjessica stegmanjessica wrote:

I do have a top loader. 2 Tbsp of Tide in a top loader is crazy nothing. After my rinses I do still smell a tiny bit of Tide, but not once they're done drying. 

That's why I asked.  I can probably do half of what I did last time.  I like my top loader for diapers (not regular laundry), but it's so much easier to see what's going on.

Jaime, you do it opposite to how I've always done it.  I pre rinse with bleach (with no covers), then hot wash and rinse as needed.  I'm so glad to hear your routine, since I suspect we have similar water.  I always paused my machine and ran water into it through a garden hose attached to my laundry sink tap, to get the extra water for my front loader in Guelph. 

Post Reply Post Reply