Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Stinky!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hleannie View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Perennial Pinner
4 years 303 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote hleannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stinky!
    Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 9:28pm
So...I'm a 3 yr cding veteran and suddenly have nasty stinky diapers! Everything. Even our flats stink coming out of the dryer. I have tried bleach, tide, bg detergent, oxiclean, vinegar, dawn, and ..gasp...fab softener to no avail. Not all at once. Also super hot rinses. What's left? Potty train and throw them out?! :-P
Heather =]
Look! I finally fixed this signature!
Sponsored Links

mdahm98 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(48)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 131 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mdahm98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 10:25pm
:( I've been there and it ain't fun! The only thing that worked after trying EVERY.THING. was to soak in a wetpail with water and vinegar. Never had stink again! Are you wetpailing or just rinsing with vinegar?

Edited by mdahm98 - 26 Apr 2012 at 10:26pm
~Morgan~SAHM to DD 4/8/05 and DS 10/10/08
hleannie View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Perennial Pinner
4 years 303 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote hleannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:13am
I'm not wetpailing and with 2 dogs and 4 kids running around I'm afraid to.   
Heather =]
hleannie View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Perennial Pinner
4 years 303 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote hleannie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:15am
I was adding vinegar to my second rinse after washing. I should use it in prerinse too?
Heather =]
mdahm98 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(48)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
5 years 131 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mdahm98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:35am
Originally posted by hleannie hleannie wrote:

I'm not wetpailing and with 2 dogs and 4 kids running around I'm afraid to.   

Do you have somewhere into your laundry room that you can put it up? For example, I have a sink that I put the pail in but you could use a shelf or even on top of the washer or dryer- they don't have to soak very long. And maybe you could use your washer as a wetpail ;P Fill it up lowest water setting and add the vinegar, not sure how much exactly 1/4-1/2 a cup maybe?? Then just let it sit fordown awhile. With my little pail(small garbage can) I would fill it up and add a couple tablespoons. And you may not have to even do it very often once you get the stink out :)
Hope it helps mama!

Edited by mdahm98 - 27 Apr 2012 at 8:36am
~Morgan~SAHM to DD 4/8/05 and DS 10/10/08
rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 10:42pm
I hope you get the stink out too, it's so frustrating. A loooonnngg vinegar or bleach is soak is the only thing I've found to work when my diaps get like that. It's nice though when they come out, and smell like nothing and you think....."wow they haven't really been this clean in forever."
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
shiara51.4 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote shiara51.4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 10:44am
I was told by the local baby boutique owner that vinegar could hurt my diapers.  Was she maybe talking out  the PUL?  I wanna do a vinegar soak to get rid of the stinkies, but am hesitating...

fiance to Keison (1/10); mama to Mila (2/12) giada md
Mamapajama View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Mamapajama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2012 at 9:50pm
I think it's the PUL you have to worry about the most. If you do it right, you shouldn't damage them. Fill a sink/pail/top loader with warm/hot water and add 2 tbs-1/4 cup depending on how many. Let them soak until they don't stink and then rinse them right away. The more frequently you do this, the faster it wears them out, but it shouldn't destroy them in one soaking. Better to replace them sooner than to have a stack of freshly washed stinky diapers...arrrrrrrr frustrating!

Before I knew about vinegar, I used put my microfiber inserts in the sink and pour boiling water over them, letting them soak until the water was cool. That helped as well (don't do this with PUL!).
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2012 at 10:03am
Does every single thing have the stinkies? Sounds like you have tried tons of things (so frustrating). Have you separated the wash loads by item...like do a small load of just the flats and see if you can get them clean? I know it seems so wasteful, but even after doing extra, extra rinses on one load, I took everything but the 5 AIOs out and then proceeded to rinse just those 5 dipes. I was aghast at the soap that came out of those things even though the entire load had seemed clear of soap.   I hope you find a solution. It is so, so frustrating. I gave up on night dipes for now because I just couldn't seem to get them clean even with a thorough rinse in the morning. And I haven't had stinky problems since, but I suppose I should knock on wood now....
 Post Reply Post Reply