Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Longer nights = diaper rash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Longer nights = diaper rash
    Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 3:17pm
I've been cloth diapering for 3 months with very few problems.  Now that my daughter is sleeping longer in the night (and I'm not changing her diaper until the morning), I've started to have problems with diaper rash.  When we use disposables (yuck!) at night we have no problems with diaper rash, but we really want to get away from having to use them at all.  If I want to use cloth diapers for nights, I may just have to change her diaper 1 or 2 times, but I'd love to know if anyone has a magic combination for keeping the wetness away from baby during the night.  We haven't had any problems with leaks using the cloth at night.

I've tried "double-stuffing" her cotton prefold diapers with hemp liners, using wool covers, using fleece liners, using various creams (CJ's body butter, Grandma El's, Angel Baby Bottom Balm, even Triple Paste), but we always end up with a red, angry looking bottom in the morning.  

During the day we get plenty of naked time for airing everything out.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links

Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 124 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 3:40pm
Hmm, seems like you've tried almost everything. I would personally ditch the prefolds at night. They just aren't absorbant enough for kids sleeping long stretches at night. I think if you got something more absorbant it would help lock in more of the wetness, if that makes sense. I have always paired a really absorbant fitted with a huge fleece liner and wool, fleece, or ME Airflow covers at night. Oddly enough, with all the skin issues we've had with DS, a red bum at night has never been one of them. Go figure.

Edited by Clare_S - 26 Apr 2012 at 5:59pm
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
BabyRN View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote BabyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 5:56pm
We do a fitted at night with either a hemp or a OBF doubler on the outside, between the diaper and the cover. We use either wool interlock or PUL at night. I used to use a fleece liner, but haven't used one in ages since it didn't seem to make a difference to her. The cupcake is in her night diaper for 10 hours usually. No red bum issues here either. Oddly, The Cupcake only gets a red bum occasionally from the generic sposies they use at daycare if we neglect to take in her CD's.

I wish I had more help for you. Honestly though, if everything you've tried at night doesn't work.....I'd just stick with the sposie.
Beth, Mom to Sugar Bum and the Cupcake!n giada md
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 6:46pm
Thanks for the responses.  I haven't tried fitted diapers yet.  Is there a fitted that you all would recommend?  Hemp, cotton or a mixture?  Is there a particular brand out there seems to work really well?

amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 7:33pm
I am doing sposies at night right now because I was having trouble finding a solution that worked for us. (and I will probably try again soon). My DD would get a red bum, too. I think it was due to the ammonia. I found that using a very thin film of plain old lanolin would help protect her skin. If I skipped this step, she would end up with redness. I used a fitted with snap-in soaker with a hemp doubler, covered with wool or MEAF. Even with rinsing the diaper well in the morning and trying various tweaks to the wash routine, I just became frustrated. I would not use lanolin, though, unless you wash at some point with hot water. With hot, it will dissolve. The GMD website recommended it for rashes, and I figured they know their stuff. Good luck! (and if you find a solution, please let me know). I just decided that chemicals in sposies are preferable to burning her skin... At least until I am able to figure out a better wash routine. Do you have a strong ammonia smell in the morning? Do you think it could be that?
amymcg97 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote amymcg97 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 8:07pm
Just reread your post and realizing your LO is still quite young. How nice your DD is sleeping through the night! Perhaps she could give my 18 month old some lessons.

I didn't start CD until my DD was 7 months, so I don't have experience with a 3-month old. I'm thinking it is probably not ammonia. Do you think it's just the wetness, or could it be detergent residue?

I like Babee Greens OCOS cotton and Loveybums OC or cotton velour fitteds (but I wait for sales). Having a separate snap-in soaker makes washing and drying easier. The Babee Breens is a OS, so it would work for quite some time. A lot of Mamas love Sandy's by Motherease. Many use the GMD WH, but I found I needed to add two doublers to the sewn-in soaker for nights. These work well for many people and are very affordable. If you think the rash could be wash-related, I would recommend staying away from thick fitteds. Hope this makes sense. I am a bit distracted by DD trying to get the iPad.
Edited to correct mislabeling.

Edited by amymcg97 - 27 Apr 2012 at 9:54am
expectingnumber2 View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(10)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 304 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote expectingnumber2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 8:13pm
I am using a MEOS fitted with a trifolded PF and fleece liner with my 2 y.o. but she isn't a super soaker.  One thing that has really helped with a lot of our nighttime troubles is using a wool cover at night.  They breath so much more than PUL we rarely have a red bottom or stink in the morning anymore.
Michelle wife to Brian mom to DD1 (5/13/06), DD2 (4/23/10) and DD3 (5/8/12)   
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 10:46pm
Amy - I wish every night would be a sleep through the night, but they are very few and far between (but do I love them!!).  LO doesn't have any ammonia smell at all, but you have a good point about the detergent build up.  I did have some past issues with detergent build up before we nailed down our washing routine.  A good stripping and change of detergent couldn't hurt!  Right now we use Rockin' Green.  Any suggestions?

Michelle - You're right about the wonders of wool.  I wish I had started with them instead of getting all of the PUL and then switching over.  Oh well, next time around we'll have it all figured out.  Congrats on the surprise, by the way!
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(17)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 232 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 12:06am
I really like Motherease Sandies for night time, with a prefold doubler. 

Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 10:23am
Everything I've read says go for the Sandy!  Thanks for the advice.  We'll be purchasing one soon :)
northwoods View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 2:11pm
Sandies with a prefold doubler is what we do here too. (Well, Toddle-ease now that YDS is bigger)
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 7:30pm
After using Triple Paste, I've noticed that my wipes are repelling now (I was desperate to get rid of her rash).  I have a top loading washing machine...how should I try to get the Triple Paste residue out?
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 7:34pm
What about boiling with Dawn...has anyone had luck with that?
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(13)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 161 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:02am
Originally posted by RachelD RachelD wrote:

What about boiling with Dawn...has anyone had luck with that?

I've never done it, but it's worth a try.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 1:41pm
Ok, I'm looking at the different options for the Sandy's diapers and I'm on the fence.  Is the bamboo going to be more absorbent or should I go with the cotton?
BabyRN View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote BabyRN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 3:25pm
We use cotton, stuffed with a flat or prefold doubler. I haven't tried the bamboo.
Beth, Mom to Sugar Bum and the Cupcake!n giada md
ccds View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote ccds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 3:04am
I only have PUL diapers for DS, but now with all these forum topics I see I really want some wool! Maybe by the time I have another we'll get some!  I was thinking the same thing about the detergent, it's just so hard to find a compatible one. Have you heard of Northern Essence Better Butter? It's the most amazing rash cream I have used.  I would give that a try at night and see if it helps, along with switching detergents. You could also just wash your diapers with super hot water if you think it's detergent build up.  I haven't done that, but I read a few places that people have done that with success.
Carissa - Mommy to one energetic little boy :)
giada md
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 12:12pm
The only drawback to wool is that you have to hand wash and my DD *really* likes to have blowouts so almost every poop means a cover has to be hand washed.

Thanks for the recommendation for the rash cream.  I will definitely look into it!
ccds View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote ccds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 1:55am
Oh, good to know. DS has blowouts too :/  And, you're welcome!
Carissa - Mommy to one energetic little boy :)
giada md
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 56 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 9:08am
I don't think I have ever had blowouts with Sandy's. I really like them at night (and during the day). I have cotton and bamboo. The are same when it comes to absorbency but the bamboo are not quite as thick (bamboo fabric is thinner than cotton so the same layers are not as thick as cotton even through the same in absorbency, if that makes sense)

I started using Sandy's with a pad folded flat at night under wool when my youngest was little and it works great. He is now 16 months and a large Sandy's is still my go-to for night time with 2 flats (1 small, 1 large) as doublers. I also put a large piece of fleece in the diaper for stay dry. Always under wool (I love Disana soakers!!)

I also love Northern Essence Diaper Salve and Better Butter Cream. They both work great and never problems with build up like some of the other diaper creams.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>