Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Frugal Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: taowensf
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

They're here!!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
jessmomto2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: They're here!!!!!!
    Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 9:16am
I got a call before 7 this morning that our chicks had arrived at the post office.  They offered to have my driver bring them to the house but i think that's a really bad idea.  So we're heading to town and getting them in a little bit.  I'll post pics later once they're all settled in.
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
Sponsored Links

erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 168 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 10:59am
Thumbs Up Can't wait to see pics! Hope they all arrived safely.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
txmom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 79 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote txmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 11:00am
How exciting!!
Linda

Wife of 14 years to Troy, mama of E 10/07 J 09/09 and S 10/11
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 1:39pm
Well unfortunately they did not all arrive safely.Cry  One of the chicks was DOA and we have 3 more that are having a hard time still-not eating or drinking on their own.  Darn snow storm we had i'm sure was part of their problem.

The ducks are all doing fine.  They were jumping out of the box when i was trying to get them each drinking.  They took right off with that and i had to put the food in because they were picking the paper towels.  Didn't even have to show anyone how to eat they just did it.  The fun part is going to be catching them to remove their leg bands in the next few days.  And we did have one with some poo dried on her bum but it didn't look like pasty butt though i'll keep an eye on her to be sure.

The chicks were cold when i unpacked them.  Most were running around after their first couple sips though.  One took the better part of an hour to perk up but seams fine now.  There are still 3 others who are not eating and will not drink without me dipping their beaks.  They're under the heat at least and i pull them out to drink every so often.  Hopefully they perk up too in a little while.

Gro-Gel is not a big hit here.  The ducks ate a bit of it but the chicks couldn't care less.

The EcoGlow brooders are great though!
Jess

Wife to my Rick (5/04), homeschooling mama to Kara (11) and Aidan (7), and our preemie Anna 12/31/12. Raising our kids to know and love the Lord.
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 1:40pm
I'll try to get the pics up later.  I haven't even been able to take any pics yet. 
Jess

P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 168 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 2:00pm
Aw, hope those 3 chicks perk up! I'm so nervous about having some of our chicks and our turkeys shipped this time, I hate hearing about issues.
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 3:27pm
If it had been a week ago i think they would have done fine.  But we had a NorEaster hit this week.  So it's been cold and snowing the whole time they were being shipped.  At least the hatchery has a 100% liveability guarantee so any who die before our 48 hours is up will be refunded, replaced, or given a credit for.  Since we have another batch coming in July i think we'll have them replaced in that order.  Just hope it's not too hot for those one's.  And hopefully they perk up so we'll only lose the one who was DOA.
Jess

P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 3:58pm
Well i couldn't get pics of everyone but here's what i have so far:

Jess

P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(37)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 168 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 4:04pm
They're so sweet!!! I love the last pic, it looks like they're cuddling.HeartLOL I want some ducks sooooo bad!!! Totally jealous here!
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 4:13pm
The chicks have been cuddling.  It's pretty cute.  They get sleepy and start snuggling.

The ducks weren't cooperating for their photo shoot.  Once they figured out where the heat was they've pretty much stayed there.  The one in the bottom pic is one of our Mallards.  The funky grayish and yellow one at the top is one of the Blue Swedish and the black one next to her is one of the Cayuga's.  They are cute, too.  But they already stink like crazy!Nuke  This is going to be a long 4-6 weeks of having them in the house.
Jess

sunsmiles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 141 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunsmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 5:17pm
Omgoodness, the ducks are so cute!!! I hope the chickies perk up and make it!

Thanks for the pics! Mine are already 4.5 weeks now and don't even resemble those fluffy butt little girls anymore!
Meghan

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world." -Mahatma Gandhi    
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 5:35pm
We lost another one of the chicks a little bit ago and another is getting weaker.  That one was hard-she died in my hand.Cry  DS and I both started bawling. The third one i'm still hopeful about though.  She's the strongest of the three but still very weak, barely drinking, and hasn't eaten anything.

All the others seam to be just fine though so far.  So at least if these don't make it the others appear healthy and should do ok. As hard as it is to lose any i know it could have been worse considering the weather.  If the storm had been 1 day later i'm sure we would have lost them all.
Jess

sunsmiles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 141 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunsmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 6:35pm
So sorry, Jess.
Meghan

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world." -Mahatma Gandhi    
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 8:52pm
Thanks.  One of the two remaining sickly one's seams to be perking up slightly.  I got her to peck at the feed a few times and she walked across the tank on her own to get back under the heat.  The other one isn't doing any better though.
Jess

J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 36 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 10:59pm
Oh how nice you got chicks but I am so sorry that some have died!!
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 9:06am
They definately had a hard trip.  We've ended up losing 6 so far.  Our 48 hours for the guarantee is up in a few more hours and then i can call the hatchery about getting our replacements. Those who are left are acting pretty good so i'm cautiously hopeful that they will all be ok now.  We also have one with pasty butt but it was looking better last night.
Jess

txmom View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 79 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote txmom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 10:35am
Wow, that is too bad.  In the past 5 years of ordering chicks, I can't remember every having lost one.  I hope the rest continue to do well.
Linda

Wife of 14 years to Troy, mama of E 10/07 J 09/09 and S 10/11
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 1:10pm
Yeah, we were pretty shocked to lose so many.  All i can figure is it was because they came through a snow storm and got too cold.  We had a NorEaster hit on monday when they shipped, then it was nasty and cold all day tuesday, and still chilly when we picked them up on wednesday.  I just called the hatchery and they added our replacements to our order that ships in July.  Hopefully we have better luck then and it won't be too hot or something.  I had checked this place out and they got very good customer reviews but if the next batch is like this one i'll have to order from someplace else in the future or stick with what the feed stores have on hand.
Jess

Gotchickens View Drop Down
P'infatuated
P'infatuated

Member Rating(1)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 193 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Gotchickens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 1:06am
What cute little peeps! What a bummer you have lost some though. Hopefully you won't lose any more.
Sarah ~:>

Full time Mom to Peter, Joshua, and Helen. Two peas in a pod with the love of my life Dan 7/4/2009.k
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote jessmomto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 9:26am
Thanks.  They are adorable and so far we haven't lost anymore.  Every time i look and see everyone doing well i have more hope that we're past that hump.
Jess

Post Reply Post Reply