Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Need help with my wash routine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mommorg View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommorg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need help with my wash routine
    Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 2:43pm
I need help figuring out what to tweak with our washing routine.  Here is the story: 

We stripped our diapers (that we have owned less than a month) with dawn and bleach at the beginning of April due to stink issues.  We switched to original Tide liquid.  We tried up to the 1 line but noticed bubbles in the extra rinse so reduced it down to 1/2 of that.  Diapers didn't smell after the wash so they seemed cleaned.  Well at about 3 weeks, we started having stink problems again.  I just stripped them again and don't want to have to strip my diapers every 3 weeks. What should we do? 

Other info: We wash our diapers, about 16, every 3 days.  Cold pre-rinse, hot-wash, extra rinse all to the highest water setting on our top-loader.

I think our problem is detergent build up.  I have read about white vinegar in the rinse cycle to help the detergent rinse out.  What are people's recommendations/ideas? 
Sponsored Links

mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(16)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 313 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 4:44pm
Do you suspect hard water?  What kind of diapers do you have?

With 16 diapers I would try to reduce the water in the pre rinse and wash.  My thinking is that diluting the soap in a whole bunch of water doesn't let it do it's job.  Then I would up to your highest setting for the last extra rinse.  Vinegar would be worth a shot.  Are there bubbles in your last rinse?  I have a set of old measuring cups in my laundry room.  I find I can be more accurate and consistant with them

I'll share my routine:

Pre rinse warm with 1/4 c bleach on medium water (about 1/3 of a drum of water).  Added while the washer is filling with water.  I add the diapers after there is about half the water.  Just to make sure the bleach is diluted as not to harm the diapers.  I have prefolds and flats and NO covers go in this load

Hot wash warm rinse with detergent (1/4 c) medium water heavy duty setting (longest wash time)

1 warm rinse with nothing. 

A 3 week maintenance strip is not uncommon.  Especially if you have hard water.  I was doing that before I just started adding a small amount of bleach to every load.   
Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
jberrec View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(3)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 364 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote jberrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 6:04pm
I'm also wondering what type of diapers you have. And what type of washer?

I *think* that generally stink is caused by not getting the diapers clean enough and repelling is caused by detergent buildup. So using the smaller amount of detergent with a vinegar rinse might work, or using the larger amount of detergent with an extra water rinse might work too.
Julie-

Wife, Mama to DS1 (6), DS2 (4), DS3 (2) and DS4 (baby)
mommorg View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommorg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 6:25pm
I have BG 4.0 so I have covers and MF inserts that I am washing.  I think the smell is from detergent build up because it is not present at first and the diapers smell clean after the wash.  It is only after 3 weeks that as soon as she pees we start to get smell, they smell after being cleaned, and I forgot to mention this, we start to have leaks. 

We originally used up to the 1 line marking but noticed bubbles even after an extra extra rinse.  So, we dropped down to 1/2 and still noticed bubbles after the extra rinse, but thought we would see how long we could go before we had smell issues.  We only made it 3 weeks.  That is why I am thinking vinegar or a water softener like Calgon would be the next step.
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(16)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 313 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 11:45pm
Yep, with pockets I would avoid the bleach.  I know some moms bleach the microfibre inserts though.  I'm assuming you have a top loader?
mommorg View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommorg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 11:50pm
Yes, we have a top-loader.  For stripping, we used dawn on pockets and inserts and then bleached the inserts.
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(16)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 313 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2012 at 8:14pm

I just found something out at my local CD store today, that might help you.  She said that regular tide is good for hard water.  It's what they recommend to people who have trouble with the cd soaps.  Liquid dissolves better, but powder works too.  Even in a top loader she suggested a Tablespoon of detergent.  I guess I would start at a Tbsp and see if that works. 

You have to rinse till you have no bubbles, or you can't smell the tide anymore (this is what the lady at the store told me).  But she said most top loading people can achieve that with one cycle after thier wash cycle.  it would be like adding 2 extra rinses.

OH!  She did mention that you can use a small amount of non chlorine bleach on the pockets.  They can't offically recommend it, but if you use a small amount and dilute it in lots of water before adding the diapers you can get the freshness back.  She says use at your own risk, tho.

HTH 
marsgirl73 View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Member Rating(32)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 112 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote marsgirl73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 7:22pm
You can try stripping with RLR-- that's what we did a few times with our hard water.  Also, here's my wash routine (I have a top-loader):  Cold pre-rinse with a generous squirt of Bac-out, followed by a long hot wash and a cold rinse. We used powder Tide; about 2/3 of a scoop per load (I usually did about 8-10 diapers/load and washed every day or every other day).

Amy, wife to Jason and mama to DS (08/09) and 3 felines.
rustygriffen View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rustygriffen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2012 at 10:34pm
When I used BG pockets/MF,  I added a splash (about 1/4 cupish) bleach to my wash cycle every time.  It was the ONLY way to keep the funk out of my diapers, and prevent repelling. Some people have water that doesn't clean MF very well.  I I added it to the water before adding the diapers and I added the pocket shells to the wash too (once it was decently full of water) without incidence. I don't have my BG 3.0s anymore because I gave my whole stash to my SIL, but she's still using them, and they've been in heavy use with bleach for 3 years now.  think Bectoria does this as well. She might be able to weigh in on  here too. 
Stephanie, loving Wife to Jordan, and Momma to Baby Bell 03/02/09 and Aiden 01/24/11 and one sweet munchkin on the way!k
mommorg View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommorg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2012 at 10:30am
Thought I would post a follow-up for anyone else who may have a similar problem.  We started adding half a cap (probably about 1 tablespoon) of calgon to our wash cycle and the stink is GONE.  It was that simple.  We still do the same wash routine (cold pre-rinse, hot wash with extra rinse) and use the same amount of Tide original liquid detergent.  Before we could only make it a max of 3 weeks.  We are now at a month plus with no sign of any stink.

Thanks for all the tips and advice!
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(16)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 313 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2012 at 11:19pm

Awesome!  Love the easy fix!

Post Reply Post Reply