Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Healthy Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: sunnymom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

Chia Seeds?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rebekahc View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote rebekahc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chia Seeds?
    Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 10:39pm
Can anyone tell me about these?  My mom has been raving about them this week and brought a bag full for me to try.  I haven't had time to do any research, so I thought I'd take a shortcut and ask all of you wise ladies what you think and what you know.  From a very quick Google search it seems like they're a good source of omega 3s but my mom is known for finding weird diet and nutrition loopholes and fads, so tell me what you think! LOL
Rebekah ~ mother to Naomi Ray (8/30/07) and Leah Kay (09/09/09), married to Paul.

www.thecarswellfamily.blogspot.com
Sponsored Links

JamieNoblit View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Post Options Post Options   Quote JamieNoblit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 10:43pm
A coach on my team eats them, but she soaks them in Almond milk first.  I can ask her if you like?  I know they are REALLY good for you!
Mom to Caelan 9-10-07 and Cullen 8-18-09
taowensf View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(163)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 76 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote taowensf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 10:48pm
Several of my friends LOOOOVE them. Sprinkled in yogurt, making chia pudding, etc. I've never had them, personally, so no personal recommendation from me. 
~Tess~
mom4moju View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mom4moju Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 11:27pm
My sister goes on and on about them.  She soaks them first in water and then adds them to smoothies.  They are kinda like black tapioca pudding to me.  Not much taste to them.  Really high in fibre too, I think.   

Christina, wife to Monty (Jul 06), Mom to T (Apr 09) and C (jun 11)
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 1:28am
I can't think about them with a straight face -- those "chia pet" things where the seeds sprout into "fur" are what come to mind.
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 12:30am
Ooh I love chia seeds. I usually make a pudding with almond milk. I make a big batch up and try to let it germinate in the fridge for at least 24 hours. It makes a good quick and filling/stick with you breakfast. I sweeten it with maple syrup.
Make sure you dring a ton of water when you eat it though.
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 96 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 11:04am
i like them added to smoothies or oatmeal. i have tried the chia pudding and am not a fan. they never get totally soft IME, the very center is always a bit hard. i think you can make a gel and use in baking to replace some of the fat! i have never tried it though. 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
samsmum View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote samsmum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2012 at 1:19pm
Another thing I do with them is add a tsp to runny yogurt or soups for Sammy. after a minute or two it thickens and is less messy for him. It's a really good form of fibre too. I made homeade lara bars (balls) the other night and added some that I had ground.

IMO I don't think that you can get the nutrition out of them unless you germinate or grind them. Like a flax seed they come out exactly as they go in Embarrassed
Michelle Mama to three great guyspaydand giada md
RachelD View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote RachelD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 2:44pm
I started eating chia seeds after I read the book Born to Run.  I would take a tablespoon or two and mix it with water and a slice of lemon or lime.  The texture of the hydrated seeds is a bit slimy, so if you are a "texture person" that might throw you off of them.  I really didn't mind it at all.  I would have my chia cocktail before a run, especially one longer than 5 miles.  They help you store water so you don't have to carry it with you, but I would never end up with a cramp.

Really high in omega 3's and other good stuff.  I got mine from Amazon.
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
4 years 14 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by ambrose ambrose wrote:

I can't think about them with a straight face -- those "chia pet" things where the seeds sprout into "fur" are what come to mind.

Totally this. I've heard they are fantastic for you...but i keep on seeing the Homer SImpson one in my head!
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
 Post Reply Post Reply