Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - Home and Hearth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife | taowensf | txmom | musicmama | Sarah2106 | umbribyz
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Home and Hearth books

Visit Motivated Moms for a
printable chore planning system. Have a clean and organized home and still have time for yourself!

Unused clothing storage?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 259 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unused clothing storage?
    Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 4:48pm
How do you organize and store clothing that you aren't using at the time, but plan on using in the future (maternity, pre preg, in between, baby clothes, seasonal, etc.). Our basement is a disaster and clothes are the biggest culprit right now. I mostly have them in bags that are just piling up Embarrassed and we need to get things cleaned up b/c evidently bugs have found the area to be a very nice home Dead so we need to spray. Mentally it's a drain anyway (it's supposed to be a good hang out area for us with designated hobby areas, and the kids' HS area). Right now it's a dump. We've cleared out most of the trash, the unused cardboard (which makes it even more fun b/c now we don't have boxes to put things in LOL) so now we need to sort, purge, and organize! DH is supposed to be picking up some tubs but that's only part of the equation. Now I need to figure out how to sort them and then store them. Totally overwhelming to me at this point! The boy stuff will be lent out to a lady at church (they keep getting passed around... some items originated with her 14 year old son, went through his two brothers, two of their cousins, and then DS Shocked). Eventually I'll need to find a place for it again b/c it's coming back to our house at least for a little while (I'm hoping longer term Wink).

Renee
Wife to K ~ 06/05
SAHM to JJ (ODS)~08/07, ME (ODD)~05/09, LG (YDD)~04/11, DA (YDS)~12/12!!

Pampered Chef anyone?
Sponsored Links

BrittanyM View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(61)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 119 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrittanyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 4:51pm
We have shelves in our shop and keep most of them out there, though I do have a few boxes inside our closets. I sort by size and gender and try to fit as much as I can in a box and then label the outside (we use plastic totes since they don't stain the clothes like cardboard and keep most things out) and stick it on the stack. It never ceases to amaze me how much space storing clothes takes up!
Wife To Timothy (Nov. 2007) and Mommy to Tirzah (12.31.08), Elijah (12.24.10) and Samuel (with Jesus, 1.19.13)   k <a href=http://mariapayd
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 259 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 4:58pm
Originally posted by BrittanyM BrittanyM wrote:

We have shelves in our shop and keep most of them out there, though I do have a few boxes inside our closets. I sort by size and gender and try to fit as much as I can in a box and then label the outside (we use plastic totes since they don't stain the clothes like cardboard and keep most things out) and stick it on the stack. It never ceases to amaze me how much space storing clothes takes up!

DH bought some plastic shelves, but they've kind of been taken over by other random stuff like my canning jars and equip Embarrassed. Upstairs closets aren't an option, I don't think a tub would fit in them. I guess I'll start by cleaning off the racks and going from there? At least then we'll have somewhere to put them once we do get them organized. I get so easily overwhelmed it's pitiful. Growing up the only way I could get past the mental hurdle of "stuff" was to pile it up in the middle of the room and go one item at a time (I still do that actually Embarrassed). I can't go back and forth but there's no way to get around it in the basement!

Renee
Wife to K ~ 06/05

Pampered Chef anyone?
BrittanyM View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(61)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 119 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote BrittanyM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 5:13pm
Hmm... could you just stack the plastic boxes on the outside perimeter of the basement?
Wife To Timothy (Nov. 2007) and Mommy to Tirzah (12.31.08), Elijah (12.24.10) and Samuel (with Jesus, 1.19.13)   k <a href=http://mariapayd
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 276 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 5:17pm
I bought a bulk package of space bags for all kids's clothes and my mountain of pre-pregnancy #1 clothes, maternity clothes, postpartum clothes, etc. I do not reccomend them, most of them have holes and don't suck down. We hope to move one day and will have limited moving space, or else I would do tubs in the garage or something.
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
northwind View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(18)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 227 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 5:23pm
56 or 66 qt totes, in the attic.  They are stacked like building blocks, up against the eaves.
Katie
Mama to Sylvia (6.5), Penelope (5),and Rosalie (2)k <a hre
Bectoria View Drop Down
Pincorporated
Pincorporated

Member Rating(39)

Perennial Pinner
9 years 295 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Bectoria Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 6:35pm
yeah, I was going to say big plastic storage bins, too.  I wait for them to go on sale at Target or wherever and buy a handful.
Becky
SAHM to DD1 (9), DD2 (7), and DD3 (3)
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 259 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 6:36pm
Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels overrun wth clothes! Doesn't really help make them go away, but makes me feel a bit better about it all. I just don't want to lose track of it all. DH's mom and aunt have all their kids' stuff stored in his aunts attic (PACKED) - they range in age from almost 17 - 29!! Confused They fully intend to dig them out someday for me to use with my kids...

I did sort through the baby girls stuff and weed out all the stuff I didn't really like. I have about 3/4 of a tub so that's not bad... and one big garbage bag to go to Salvation Army. About 7 garbage bags full for hte lady at church - she'll love me LOL. Really helped pare down the pile!

Renee
Wife to K ~ 06/05

Pampered Chef anyone?
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 208 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 8:15pm
We are fortunate that our basement, though unfinished, does not have problems with bugs or water so I am able to store in cardboard boxes (I get the nice moving boxes so that the sizes are the same)

I sort by size, season and gendar and label on the box. It works great because everything is sorted clean and organized and when YDS arrived selling and donating all the boxes was super easy because it was already sorted and gathered.

My sister does not have a good weather tight/bug free area so she uses plastic bins, but doesn't get the super huge ones, that was she can sort by size/season. They are more of the 14x14x14 not the super huge ones.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
SouthEastMomma View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(2)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 52 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote SouthEastMomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 8:47pm
we use large plastic tubs and most of them end up at dh's shop.  i use painters tape or duct tape to label them.  i have some underbed storage boxes that i use for my stuff.  

dh keeps an eye out at lowes and home depot and buys the boxes when they go on sale.
Lauren
Married to Jeremiah
Mom to Oscar (9), Archer (6), Odin & Hugo (2)
northwind View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(18)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 227 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote northwind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:05pm
That's all you have, Renee??? After 3??  LOL.  I have a big tote for each size:  Nb-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12, 12mo, 18mo, 2T, 3T, 4, 5, 6, and one for boys (jic).  I think the 12 and 18 month ones at least have 2 -1 winter, 1 summer.  My MO is really "It is cheaper to store than to replace" in my huge house. I know we're not done having kids so I'm always loathe to get rid of anything even if I didn't love it.  I do plan to go thru this summer and purge, since it's getting a little excessive & I need to do some yardsaling in case this one is a boy. LOL

Oh and we also have 2-3 totes of clothes that don't fit DH (but he wishes he could lose enough weight that they would) and 3-4 totes for me in fat/skinny/maternity/postpartum sizes. Embarrassed
Katie
Mama to Sylvia (6.5), Penelope (5),and Rosalie (2)k <a hre
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 259 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by northwind northwind wrote:

That's all you have, Renee??? After 3??  LOL.  I have a big tote for each size:  Nb-3, 3-6, 6-9, 9-12, 12mo, 18mo, 2T, 3T, 4, 5, 6, and one for boys (jic).  I think the 12 and 18 month ones at least have 2 -1 winter, 1 summer.  My MO is really "It is cheaper to store than to replace" in my huge house. I know we're not done having kids so I'm always loathe to get rid of anything even if I didn't love it.  I do plan to go thru this summer and purge, since it's getting a little excessive & I need to do some yardsaling in case this one is a boy. LOL

Oh and we also have 2-3 totes of clothes that don't fit DH (but he wishes he could lose enough weight that they would) and 3-4 totes for me in fat/skinny/maternity/postpartum sizes. Embarrassed

I have purged a LOT! LOL I stored everything with DS (hence the probably 10 totes or more from NB-3T) but have quickly realized that DH's family LOVES to buy clothes (they never get the kids toys or anything, jus candy and clothes) so they get almost a whole new wardrobe every Christmas and birthday!! Now that I have learned that I only save my faves and pass on the rest. It's organizing it that's frustrating me since sizes fit such a wide range - YK? I think my clothes are the worst at this point since it's been the same stuff in perpetual rotation for 5+ years now.

Renee
Wife to K ~ 06/05

Pampered Chef anyone?
bree View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote bree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 10:30pm
I think it gets harder as they get older because the sizes last longer then. Like DS1 can still wear last years summer shorts, but not the shirts, and DS2 can wear some of the shirts from DS1 last summer. It's getting chaotic! LOL  But - I had everything sorted by size and in tubs. 1 big plastic tub per size. I got rid of stuff I didn't love or that was stained or that wouldn't make it for another kid. But now that newbie is a girl I had sooooo much to go through to get rid of! Yipes. I had NO idea that there was so much stored. But at least I knew where it all was! Now that there's only 1 size between the boys I don't have much to store (like, I have size 3 stuff all in one huge tub and size 4 winter stuff started in another). If I were you I'd just get the plastic totes and store them stacked in the basement. You can even get the totally flat top ones and cover it w/ something and use it as a table/desk!

For me - I had one big moving box full of maternity clothes. I have under-bed totes with dress clothes and sweaters that I haven't worn since I was working. Then I have some pre-preg clothes stored in a box at the bottom of the closet that I put there just so I'd have room to hang the maternity clothes.
GoldenEmpress View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 310 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 11:10pm
I have a big plastic tote for each size of clothing.  Right now they're labeled with painter's tape and stacked up in DS's closet.  That's not going to fly for much longer though since there's only room for about 1 more tote before there won't be anywhere to hang stuff.  Looks like I'm going to have to start talking to DH about flooring part of the attic. Unhappy

I guess I should also say that I keep clean, washed, hanging ready to go whatever size DS is currently wearing plus the next size up.  It makes it easier to mix sizes as you tend to end up doing with a baby in cloth diapers.  And it makes it easier to see what I already have and what I need to keep an eye out for in the next size.

Edited by GoldenEmpress - 23 Apr 2012 at 11:14pm
~Elizabeth

Daughter of the King of Kings, wife to an amazing man(6/12/04), mother of DS(7/11), and furkids Charlotte (6/05) & Athena (5/07)k
TattooedMama View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote TattooedMama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 11:48pm
We live in a townhouse and use the garage for storage only. I have plastic tubs (dollar store!) for each size of clothing, maternity, toys, etc. We have them stacked up to the ceiling with bungee cords around them and attached to the wall with hooks. I buy a new one once the last one is full and keep it in DS's closet so I can just throw clothes in as they get too small. That seems to be pretty effective for us. The only bad part is that the dollar store changed the brand they carry so now the tubs don't stack right. Angry
Ricci, mama to DS 4/06 and little bean 12/12 giada md
mommyjessica View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(25)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
7 years 128 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mommyjessica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 1:30am
i use space bags bags and even though they don't stay good (air tight), i like them anyway. well, thats only partially true. i hate storing clothing and having to sort stuff and the whole ordeal involved in clothes in general. but, i like the system. i use med. sized ones for up to size two or three. if i have different seasons, i use two bags for one size. i like this better than totes alone because i can be more organized this way. seeing through the bags is a bonus also. i just label each bag in the same spot so it is easy to pull down from the closet and stuff more outgrown clothing into. i have them

DAMN SPIDER Angry

DAMN SPILLED GLASS OF MILK Angry

anyway, as i was saying, i have them stacked upright in the top of the girls closet and a few bigger ones for the bigger sizes in the floor of the closet. i throw clothes in as needed and go through them when i feel like it. it works for me.

as far as my clothes, i have shelves in my closet that i stack stuff that is not in use on as well as a bin of stuff that is too small right now. it is a small enough bin that it fits under the bottom shelf.

jareds clothes... i would like to find a nice, big trash bag for a good portion of his stuff Evil Smile
Jessica- Wife to Jared, Mommy to Tiffany Eve- born gorgeous 12-31-07, Emily Jane- born lovely 5-10-10, Lucy Renee- born beautiful 10-3-12

MamaKikow View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 107 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote MamaKikow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 10:04am
Oops double post

Edited by MamaKikow - 24 Apr 2012 at 10:08am
Happy wife to J and SAHM to my 2 little girls and a surprise baby boy joined us in the Spring.

*Please excuse the typos. my 'smart' phone was too smart for school*
MamaKikow View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 107 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote MamaKikow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 10:05am
I always have 2 sizes of stuff out in the closet. When S outgrows stuff it moves down a shelf for baby Z. Whatever Z outgrows is storaged in air tight under the bed plastic bins.
I do not like the idea of plastic bins but in an apartment with seasonal bugs and occasional mice that's the only practical thing to use.

I also have a few things, including winter outer wear that I got (some as gifts) when S was born that were never used. She was really big and never got a chance to wear them in season and Z was tiny and didn't use them either. Those things are on the top shelf waiting for me to put them out on ebay or fsot and or give some away.. Of course I keep pushing it off!
Happy wife to J and SAHM to my 2 little girls and a surprise baby boy joined us in the Spring.

*Please excuse the typos. my 'smart' phone was too smart for school*
Sweetbliss View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sweetbliss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2012 at 1:37am
We use flat clear plastic bins with lids.  I label each side with an index card.  They're very versatile - fitting under beds or up on high closet shelves. :)
Mommy of Peanut, Lumpy, Bug , Muffin, and Mister Mister
mykaylis View Drop Down
P'inductee
P'inductee

Post Options Post Options   Quote mykaylis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 4:04pm
i use big plastic totes or diaper boxes from disposables (i can get lots of these from a local family centre). i really prefer the totes, i sort by size (i've got all girl stuff, but if i had a mix, i'd put boy/neutral separately) and tape on a piece of paper labeling what's in the box. if i had the money i would put everything in big totes. i have shelves they can go on but in a pinch totes really do stack up nicely. i can't afford totes for everything, so if i can't access the big diaper boxes, boxes from office paper works really well too. they're always the same size, easy to open/close, label, etc.

if bugs are an issue i'd see if i could find plastic totes for everything.
 Post Reply Post Reply