Forum Home Forum Home - Diaper Discussions - Bubble Bubble Toil & Trouble
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: musicmama
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

trouble with red marks on legs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
littleowlsmomma View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote littleowlsmomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trouble with red marks on legs
    Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 11:59pm

We have been cloth diapering my 7.5 month old since she was about 3 months old. We use the best bottoms diaper system (an AI2, liners that snap into shell). She has rather sensitive skin and does get diaper rash every now and then. We've been using coconut oil on it which works most of the time. However, my problem is with an awful red marks she gets, not in the actual diaper area but on her thighs where the leg gussets are. I guess I'm not even sure if it's techniqually diaper rash or something else. The skin on her thighs get very red, hot sometimes swollen looking and eventually gets kind of chapped looking and eventually begins to peel. I have tried everything I can think of... loosening the diaper (to the point where it often leaks), generously coating her legs as well as her diaper area with the coconut oil, changing her frequently, never using the same shell twice in a row, stripping the diapers 100 ways to sunday... nothing seems to help. The only thing that clears it up is switching to disposables for a while, but the rash always comes back within days of switching ther back to cloth so she has now been in disposables for a couple weeks bc I feel bad about continuing to put her in the cloth ones and "giving" her a rash. Has anyone encountered something similar and/or have suggestions for what may be going on? I've considered an allergy to what ever kind of elastic is in the gussets but the elastic is covered in cloth so I don't see how that would be an issue...

Sponsored Links

Jaimeis View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jaimeis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 12:38am
I know there are some LOs who are very sensitive to elastics.  I'd try switching to sposies (or wool covers) for a time, let the rash clear up (continue using the oil).  You could always try a wool cover and see if it has better results. 

Has she had the red marks since 3 months - or are they new?
Jaime, wife to my beloved Andrew (3/06), mommy to Liam Nathanael(8/07) and Elijah Gideon (12/09)

My Family Blog
gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 10:39am
My Amelia got terrible red marks on her legs from the elastic on motherease airflow covers (even when they were super loose) but does fine with best bottoms... Maybe try a different brand of covers?
Amy, married to Josh (2002), mommy to Amelia (2011) giada md
Clare_S View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(46)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 183 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Clare_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 2:18pm
That sounds tough, I'm so sorry. I would also say to try a different cover. Are you using the Best Bottom system exclusively? Do you have something else you can use?
Happily married to Nathan and mama to DD (5), DS (3), DS2 (5/14)
gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 2:30pm
If wool seems too complicated (I know it did to me at first) you could try a fleece cover too, those are machine washable and look to be much more gentle on the thighs... 

If you want to keep using your best bottom snap in inserts you could try another PUL cover like a flip that has the flaps to hold the insert in place.  I use my best bottom inserts to stuff my pockets sometimes as well. 
Amy, married to Josh (2002), mommy to Amelia (2011) giada md
 Post Reply Post Reply