Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - The Creative Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Patterns - cloth diapers and cover reviews | Patterns - Carrier reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Welcome to Creative Corner! This is the place to share tips,
pics of recent projects, and ask questions about all things creative (not just sewing and knitting!)

Think of this as the amateur sports forum. If you intend to sell, market (for example, naming a product), and bring in money with the item you are working on, you are a pro and your post belongs in the WAHM section (the pro sports forum . ) If you are making the item simply out of enjoyment and do not now or ever in the future intend to make money off of the item, not limited to the one shown, but ones like it in the future, it may be posted in the Creative Corner.

Posting business types of threads in Creative Corner is considered a violation of our forum posting policy (specifically rule #2.)

If you need access to the WAHM forum, please PM krisperry or Bectoria.

Anyone do any weaving?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
moonangel12 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 135 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone do any weaving?
    Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:39pm
I used to crochet but my hands won't let me anymore (fibromyalgia - my hands, feet, and back take the brunt of it). I picked up quilting which I like, but I have always been fascinated by weaving. I remember making my own looms in elementary school out of cardboard and popsicle sticks if I remember correctly. This past fall at our town's Fall Festival a lady was there with her floor loom demonstrating and I just stood there in awe and made a note in the back of my mind that it would be a "someday" dream project. I never realized the vast world of weaving! I am looking at rigid heddle looms for a fairly cost effective way to start, but also open to other ideas. I love quilting and all the things you can do cutting and sewing fabric, but at this point in my season of life I want something that requires a bit less... thought? Something I can get lost in, YK? That's what I enjoyed about crocheting - the rhythm and relaxation aspects of it (before it equaled pain anyway Tongue). DH seems to be receptive to the idea, especially since it means one more thing I can make vs. buy if things ever got that bad in the world (this coming from a man who has been raised as a total consumer... weird!). I want to start with a larger loom, but wonder if it would be too much for a beginner so I'm still researching, shopping around, and watching youtube videos. I know it's a dying art, but I almost wonder if it's like knitting and crocheting where it's gearing up to make a comeback. I did watch one video of a knitter who took it up as a way to use up all her extra yarn - a bit of a stash buster for any of you crafty ladies who would like to join me Wink.

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!
Sponsored Links

chicka.chicka View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote chicka.chicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 12:33am
I've been mildly interested in weaving, but don't dare look into it too much.  I'm already working on diving head first into the world of spinning right now, and can't afford to have too many crafty distractions.  After all, I still have a family, farm, and garden to keep up with.  Tongue

Edited by chicka.chicka - 21 Apr 2012 at 12:34am
LORI, Wife to Shane & Mom to: Benjamin(14), Elizabeth(13), Thomas(11), Olivia(9), Joshua(4), Rebekah(2), and Andrew (11/27/13)
~*~Parenting consists of long days and short years.~*~
sunsmiles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 111 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunsmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 10:39am
I was seriously considering getting a loom for my birthday this year. I did a lot of research and finally decided that it just isn't versatile enough for my needs right now. I already knit and crochet and basically anything that I can make on a small loom (which is what I was looking at) I can also make without one. So it didn't seem practical for my needs at this time. And, like Lori, time is another factor... I already feel like I don't have enough time for all the projects I want to knit, so adding in another craft seems a little silly. In another season in my life when kids are bigger I can see myself becoming interested in it again.

Renee, if you haven't already I would join ravelry.com and search through the groups section for beginning weaving groups. There are tons of threads about good looms to start with, sizes, trouble shooting advice, tons of inspiration projects, etc. And then once you pick a brand of loom there are groups dedicated to the brand so if you are having trouble with your loom, there are people who can help you work through your particular problem. And don't forget to join the Pin Mamas group there too! :)
Meghan

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world." -Mahatma Gandhi    
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 135 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 11:04am
I'll check out Ravelry! I am looking at a Little Quick Weaver loom off of eBay which looks like a good compromise for size and cost (plus it's made in the US by a mom and pop business!). Having trouble finding reviews on it though. I definitely can't knit or crochet anymore, and quilting is a bit of a pain to pull out if you only have a few minutes (it usually takes that long for me to get it out, figure out where I'm at, what I need to do next, and then put it away again b/c I need the space for something else Tongue). I'm hesitant to add another "hobby" to the mix, but I think it's going to be the most practical for me... plus it *shouldn't* take up much space which is good. I need an outlet of some sort... something I can pull out and get lost in every now and then.

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
SAHM to JJC (ODS) ~ 8/06/07, MEC (ODD) ~ 5/06/09, LGC (YDD) ~ 4/14/11, DAC (YDS) ~ 12/31/12!!
sunsmiles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 111 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunsmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 11:15am
Check out this thread once you join Rav. And the group it is posted in. :)

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/beginning-weavers/1911421/1-25
Meghan

P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 135 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 11:22am
Originally posted by sunsmiles sunsmiles wrote:

Check out this thread once you join Rav. And the group it is posted in. :)

http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/beginning-weavers/1911421/1-25

Awesome! Thanks! I got signed in (evidently I already registered at some point???) but wasn't sure where to go next.

Saw a finger weaving group that mentioned that it's a Native American/French Canadian craft - I am at least 1/8 NA on my mom's side and my dad's family is FC - how cool! I might look into that just for that reason!

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
sunsmiles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 111 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunsmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2012 at 11:54pm
Renee, I saw in another thread that you ordered a loom. What did you decide on?
Meghan

P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(12)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 135 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote moonangel12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2012 at 10:20am
Originally posted by sunsmiles sunsmiles wrote:

Renee, I saw in another thread that you ordered a loom. What did you decide on?

I went with the Little Quick Weaver Jumbo model. It was going to be the best option as far as cost and size went. I don't have any experience with any others to compare it to so hopefully I'll be happy with it. DH and I looked at quite a few and liked the simplicity of the parts on this one (no gears to wear down over time, etc.). It's not as portable, obviously, but for my one and only loom right now I want something that I can make wider things with (fabric for a woven wrap possibly, baby blankets, etc.). I can always go smaller, but I can't go bigger on a smaller loom. We'll see how it goes! It also comes with everything I need in one package - not all of the other brands did and I was having a hard time sorting through what was what. I should have it in a couple weeks I hope. I think they make them as they are ordered. We're also going to see about cutting out some of the plywood base to make it lighter (his cousin has won many awards in woodworking so I am thinking he could help us figure something out) and also cut notches, or add something, to one end so I can prop it up like how some of the smaller ones are set up... it might be too big for that anyway. I'll have to wait until I get it to see for sure. I'm going to get a small folding table so I can use it in the living room. This one can also hold a lot more warp yarn - some of the other more affordable ones would only do 3 yards... this is supposed to be 6+. They are also supposed to be making a second heddle for it and setting it up so I can use two with it for future more complex patterns.

The lady that makes them has many years experience I guess so I feel comfortable that the product they make is well thought out. I also think it's neat that it's not a mass produced piece...

It comes already set up with 3 yrds of yarn, 8 inches wide. I think it will be the varigated shown in the pics which I think is really pretty! I'm hoping to make it one long continuous piece and maybe make it the wrap part of a podegai baby carrier.

Renee
Wife to KJC ~ 6/25/05
 Post Reply Post Reply