Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - The Creative Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Patterns - cloth diapers and cover reviews | Patterns - Carrier reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Welcome to Creative Corner! This is the place to share tips,
pics of recent projects, and ask questions about all things creative (not just sewing and knitting!)

Think of this as the amateur sports forum. If you intend to sell, market (for example, naming a product), and bring in money with the item you are working on, you are a pro and your post belongs in the WAHM section (the pro sports forum . ) If you are making the item simply out of enjoyment and do not now or ever in the future intend to make money off of the item, not limited to the one shown, but ones like it in the future, it may be posted in the Creative Corner.

Posting business types of threads in Creative Corner is considered a violation of our forum posting policy (specifically rule #2.)

If you need access to the WAHM forum, please PM krisperry or Bectoria.

knitting vs crocheting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 126 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: knitting vs crocheting
    Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 9:41pm
ok, so we already established that I am not crafty and have no clue about any of this.. but what is the best thing to learn to make dresses, sweaters, scarves, etc? what's the big difference between knitting and crocheting? 

Kira, if you read this, you totally have me inspired to learn something from all of your Lily pics on facebook with her cute clothes!!! 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
Sponsored Links

mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:00pm
I think I already said this in your other post, but I am a total crochet failure and took to knitting very easily.  I know that's not true for everyone and I think people are just different.  I also like the look of knit better than crochet, so that was part of my motivation to learn it. I'd either pick based on which you like the look of better, or get a few items to try both and see which you like (if you end up knitting, having crochet hooks around is useful anyway so you're not out anything).

Oh and I would not call myself a crafty person in general, so you don't need to be to learn!
sunsmiles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(30)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 135 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunsmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:04pm
They are made using different techniques of wraping the yarn. Knitting often has a nicer drape and looks a little more like fabric IMO. Crochet makes thicker fabric (using the same weight yarn as knitting) and uses more yarn than knitting. I hear it is easier to make stuffed animals by crocheting, although you definitely can do knitted ones too. Some people find crochet faster than knitting, but that is relative to the person. Knitting uses 2 needles and crochet uses 1 hook.
Meghan

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world." -Mahatma Gandhi    
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 109 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:09pm
Crocheting is good for things - hats, scarves, blankets, little do-dads but not so good for clothing. I have crocheted some longies/shorties but there are so many more patterns if you knit.

Knitting does look more like fabric which is why I want to learn so I can make some clothes (sweater for DD and vest for the boys) before the kids get so big that I don't want to

Crocheting has gaps/holes in the fabric but still works great as longies/shorties.

I like that with crocheting if the hook comes out I am good, I just pick up where I left off. Knitting requires picking up all the stitches that came off the needles. I am super fast with crocheting and hope that I will soon be fast at knitting, but I just need more practice.

Oh and I started with crocheting because the one hook seemed less intimidating than 2 needles. I have made numerous blankets, longies, shorties, soakers, water bottle holders, snow men and snow flakes for Christmas decor, hacky sacks, soccer balls, a caterpillar for YDS for his first Christmas (he was a week old)... all sorts of things.

Check out ravlery and you will see all the fun ideas and options.
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(23)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 109 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:12pm
I also find the language for crocheting a bit easier than knitting. There is a lot less to learn with crocheting. Basically just single crochet (SC), double crochet (DC), half double (HDC) triple crochet (TC), increase and decrease. There are "fancier" stitches like Popcorn but basically that is just a grouping of single crochets. to make a circle (for a water bottle holder) the basic is just single (or double) crochets and you slowly add to the round to make the circle larger and larger.

With knitting it really has been like learning a new language with different styles of stitching. I am sure once I focus I will catch on, but finding the time to focus has been less than easy
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Sarah2106 Sarah2106 wrote:

I also find the language for crocheting a bit easier than knitting. There is a lot less to learn with crocheting. Basically just single crochet (SC), double crochet (DC), half double (HDC) triple crochet (TC), increase and decrease. There are "fancier" stitches like Popcorn but basically that is just a grouping of single crochets. to make a circle (for a water bottle holder) the basic is just single (or double) crochets and you slowly add to the round to make the circle larger and larger.

With knitting it really has been like learning a new language with different styles of stitching. I am sure once I focus I will catch on, but finding the time to focus has been less than easy

Funny that you said this b/c I feel exactly the opposite  In knitting all you have to learn is knit and purl and pretty much everything else is just a variation of those 2 stitches.
chicka.chicka View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote chicka.chicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 12:27am
Going from crochet to knitting, I felt the same way as Sarah. Even though there are several stitches, they are all variations of wrap, hook, pull through.  Simple.  Yes, knitting is just knit and purl and everything else is basically a variation of that, but there are so many variations.  I mean in crochet, to get started you basically have the chain stitch.  For knitting, there are at least a dozen different ways you can cast on, and you can use different ones depending on what kind of project you're making.  In crochet, there's basically one way to decrease, maybe two if you count skipping stitches.  In knit, there's at least a dozen different ways to decrease, and it depends on whether you want a hole or not, whether it needs to slant right or left, etc.  Same thing with increases. 

That said, now that I've been knitting for a while it's not nearly as intimidating for me as it was at first to look at a knitting glossary.  Like others have said, I think that crochet is a little faster, but I much prefer to knit.  I like the versatility of it, I like the texture/style of the fabric better, and I actually like that it has so many different variations because that adds to the challenge and interest level.
LORI, Wife to Shane & Mom to: Benjamin(14), Elizabeth(13), Thomas(11), Olivia(9), Joshua(4), Rebekah(2), and Andrew (11/27/13)
~*~Parenting consists of long days and short years.~*~
Nuttygirl View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(14)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 206 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Nuttygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 12:30am
I like crochet better for blankets.  It makes a thicker blanket and I like the different stitches and things there are for that.  Tons of cool things.  I also like how crocheted scarves look (knit is nice too, just different) I like how knit looks better for clothing.  But I am too intimidated and easily distracted to finish a knitted garment and rarely finish any projects.

I prefer sewing to both of your listed options  LOL.  Hand or machine sewing.  Although machine sewing is more practical, faster, and what I generally do.  It is perfect for my attention span on projects which doesn't last more than a couple days generally, maybe a week if I am lucky.
Mom to DS1 1/06, DD1 3/08, DS2 10/10, and DD2 7/13 I need some kids to test a few pattern sizes on and also willing to trade for sewing jobs. PM me if interested.
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 126 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2012 at 9:09am
NG I so want to sew too.. I saw a small singer sewing machine on sale for 100, down from 150 and kinda wanted to get it yesterday! but I know I can't take on all of this at once lol. 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
musicmama View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(12)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 213 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote musicmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:05pm
I think like NG Big smile.  I've been trying to stay focused on the knitting, and have been getting better lately.  Blankets are strictly crochet, though.
Christine
DS1-G (1/06), DS2-D (1/08), DS3-S (4-10) giada md
diaperpin-jen View Drop Down
Pincorporated
Pincorporated

Member Rating(6)

Perennial Pinner
14 years 125 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote diaperpin-jen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:20pm
I've only ever crocheted and have made nice blankets and cute stuffed animals for friend's babies...my mother has made gorgeous tablecloths crocheting with thread. It would probably take me years to make those!

Knitting always seemed more versatile though - if you want to do dresses and sweaters I think knitting is the way to go.
Creator of the Pin and Proud mama of 2!

Check out our new blog - The Corner! iv class
KeepItSimple View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Post Options Post Options   Quote KeepItSimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2012 at 2:24pm
Basically what Sarah said.  Usually what you learn first will be your favorite because they are very different.  I prefer crochet but knit looks nice.  I can crochet super fast but have no patience to learn to knit.
Jenny,wife to Adam since 1994
SAHMom to:
18. 17. 15. 13. 12. 10. 8. 7. 5. 3.& Eva Joy 6-11-13
 Post Reply Post Reply