Forum Home Forum Home - Green Living - Healthy Living
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: sunnymom
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Diaper Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Shop for Frugal and Healthy Living books

food processors

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
shiara51.4 View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote shiara51.4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: food processors
    Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 6:03pm
I've decided to make my own baby food so I pulled out my food processor today to find it's no longer working for some reason.  As I'm going to have to buy a new one anyway, are there any features I should be on the lookout for?

fiance to Keison (1/10); mama to Mila (2/12) giada md
Sponsored Links

gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 1:17am
I just bought one not too long ago, it is a little mini kitchen aid brand one. It was around $20 and works great. The button to run it is on the top part that goes in the dishwasher which is nice because my old one was on the front and collected grime. I don't cook much so I didn't need anything fancy.
Amy, married to Josh (2002), mommy to Amelia (2011) giada md
lstols View Drop Down
P'insightful
P'insightful

Member Rating(2)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 135 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote lstols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 12:43pm
I have a cuisinart that I love, it came with a slicing and shredding disk as well as a chopping and dough blade. I also like the fact that I can get more disks for different size of slices and shredds. The disks make it so much more versatile, I probably wouldn't use it as much if it didnt have those.
Laura - Mom to DS 5/05, DD 4/07, DD 9/10, DS 4/13
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 192 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 1:01pm
I have one like Istols said- its an 11 cup. i use it all the time. but unless you're making a good amount of baby food you might want a smaller one. i have a baby food processor that was about $20 from BRU that I used for dd and still use it for small amounts or a kid size smoothie. 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
GoldenEmpress View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 306 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 2:05pm
I have this 14 cup Cuisinart one:

which is unfortunately no longer made.  Like mentioned above, I think the slicing and shredding discs and dough hook make it much much more versatile.  Mine has a ridiculously powerful motor in it that I have yet to see anything that it can't power through.  I'm pretty sure that if you could somehow manage to get around all the safety features (which is impossible) and get your hand in there, it would take your fingers clean off.  If you're just planning on using it for baby food, you could probably get away with one of the simpler more inexpensive ones.  If you would like to use it for other purposes though, I would look for one that either comes with or has other discs available and has a large powerful motor.
~Elizabeth

Daughter of the King of Kings, wife to an amazing man(6/12/04), mother of DS(7/11), and furkids Charlotte (6/05) & Athena (5/07)k
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 2:27pm
We also have a cuisinart with all the blades and disks. And we use it ALL the time. Used it twice today to shred cheese and make dough for crackers. When I used it for baby food I would puree in giant batches. And I still use pureed veggies to increase the nutritional value in some of our other foods. Plus we make apple sauce in bulk and can it. Having a quality one with a good motor is great.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
jberrec View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 52 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote jberrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 3:22pm
I just used a blender and mini chopper to make baby food in the past, but lately I've been eyeing food processors just for general cooking purposes so I'm curious about them too. 

What is the dough blade on a food processor do anyway?
Julie-

Wife, Mama to DS1 (6), DS2 (4), DS3 (2) and DS4 (baby)
GoldenEmpress View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
3 years 306 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote GoldenEmpress Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 4:07pm
Julie, it's just like a dough hook on a stand mixer.  You can use it to make bread or dough so you don't have to knead it by hand.  I used to make a lot of dog biscuits with special flours and if I mixed it by hand it would take 20 minutes.  In the food processor?  3 minutes, tops.  And actually I think if I was going to make bread or some sort of dough I would use my food processor over my Kitchenaid mixer simply because the food processor has more torque and a 20 year warranty on the motor.  I know that some of the kitchenaid mixer's are known for having the motor's burn out if you make a lot of dough.

Edited by GoldenEmpress - 24 Apr 2012 at 4:13pm
~Elizabeth

Daughter of the King of Kings, wife to an amazing man(6/12/04), mother of DS(7/11), and furkids Charlotte (6/05) & Athena (5/07)k
jberrec View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 52 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote jberrec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2012 at 4:13pm
Thanks for the explanation Elizabeth! I don't own a stand mixer either, but really want one, or thought I did. Now I'm thinking maybe just a nice food processor would meet my needs. 
Julie-

Wife, Mama to DS1 (6), DS2 (4), DS3 (2) and DS4 (baby)
patsyruss View Drop Down
Just Pinned
Just Pinned

Post Options Post Options   Quote patsyruss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2012 at 1:55am
Food processors come in many different shapes and sizes. They may be small and compact or large and in charge. They are the perfect gadget for avid cooks who love spending time in the kitchen. 

Post Reply Post Reply