Forum Home Forum Home - Family - Parenting Talk - Toys, Games, & Baby Gear
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: ambrose
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Baby Carriers Reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

wrap questions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
groupp View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote groupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wrap questions
    Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 8:23pm
My step daughter wants a wrap after seeing a friend that has a moby. I told her I would get her one but I would like not to spend a ton of money. Some of the one's I've seen are crazy expensive. I have mostly been looking at moby and bali wraps. I don't know that she has a preference on what kind. I know very little about wraps. I had a sling when my son was a baby but he didn't like it. I tried looking at the babywearer but was pretty overwhelmed. I'd like to get a longer one so she has more options for carries. She's really tiny though so I don't know how much extra fabric and if that would be bulky.

So what do you think about stretch vs woven?
Any opinions on the moby/bali? Any other suggestions that would be less than around $80.

thanks Pam
wife, nurse, and mama to Jackson 4 y.o.

giada md
Sponsored Links

Jake&MattsMom View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Perennial Pinner
5 years 337 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jake&MattsMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 8:33pm
I used a moby for DD and really liked it.  The downside was that It wasn't comfortable after she reached about 15 lbs b/c of the stretchiness.  I also had to readjust it a lot b/c it would stretch out during use and not feel as secure after awhile.

I have a bali breeze now and I love it much more than the moby.  I got a size C which is a bit much for me, but not horrible.  I'm 5'7" and wear a size 2 or 4 normally.  I wasn't sure about the sizing but if I could go back I'd get a size B.  I can comfortably wear my 2 y.o. in the bali and my newborn feels weightless in it.  Even though I got a size bigger than I need, it doesn't seem bulky.

Here's me w/ DD testing out the bali breeze-
Amanda~ Homeschooling mom to- Jacob(11/04), Matthew(12/07), Corinna(11/09) Caleb(3/12) and Baby Jonah(6/14)
groupp View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote groupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 8:45pm
Ooo I love the colors on that one. How long is the size C?

So in hindsight would you just get the woven one or is the stretchy moby better for the newborn stage? (I'm leaning toward the bali if it can be used longer plus they are prettier)

Step daughter is 5'5" and around 105-110 normally. Do you think the size C would work for her?

thanks

giada md
erinchelsea View Drop Down
P'intense
P'intense

Member Rating(38)

Perennial Pinner
6 years 116 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote erinchelsea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 9:03pm
I loved, loved my Moby for the newborn stage, but don't have any other wraps to compare it to.
Erin, happy wife of Jason (7/21/07) and mama to Abram (3/09) and Adrie (6/11)
Jake&MattsMom View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Perennial Pinner
5 years 337 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Jake&MattsMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 9:23pm
The size C is 5.5 yards. The size B is 5yards and would likely be adequate for your sd.

If you go with the woven wrap you definitely don't also need the moby. Wrapsody also makes a bali stretch wrap that is a hybrid between the moby type wrap and a woven. I have not seen or tried it irl though.

I'm not much of an expert on wraps since I generally prefer a mei tai or ssc for my los when they are bigger, but my bali wrap may convert me to more of a wrapper.
Amanda~ Homeschooling mom to- Jacob(11/04), Matthew(12/07), Corinna(11/09) Caleb(3/12) and Baby Jonah(6/14)
groupp View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote groupp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 10:56pm
I just talked to her tonight and she said everyone is telling her she should get an ergo and not a wrap. She really wants a wrap for the newborn stage though. I was thinking the woven bali since it would last longer but if she's going to get an ergo for when the baby is bigger I guess it doesn't matter if it's stretch or woven.

Amanda-I saw another web site that had sizing info and for your size it said an A which is 4.5yards. You said a B would have been better, do you think the A would be too short to do all the carries? Sorry for all the questions.

giada md
ambrose View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote ambrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 2:05am
I love woven wraps, but i really like stretchy ones for the newborn stage. Get her a moby or a wrapsody. If she loves it she can work up to a woven later. I don't think soft-structured carries are that great for little babes. She should listen to what she wants in her heart, not what her friends are saying. It's highly subjective territory!
 Post Reply Post Reply