Forum Home Forum Home - P'interests and Hobbies - The Creative Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Posting Policy | Forum Codes | Our Advertisers | Sales & Announcements | Member Groups | P'insane Leaderboard | Contact Admin

Moderator: eightcowwife
Remember to Support our Advertisers!

Patterns - cloth diapers and cover reviews | Patterns - Carrier reviews | Cloth diaper calculator | Diaper Articles | Books * DVDs * CDs * etc

Welcome to Creative Corner! This is the place to share tips,
pics of recent projects, and ask questions about all things creative (not just sewing and knitting!)

Think of this as the amateur sports forum. If you intend to sell, market (for example, naming a product), and bring in money with the item you are working on, you are a pro and your post belongs in the WAHM section (the pro sports forum . ) If you are making the item simply out of enjoyment and do not now or ever in the future intend to make money off of the item, not limited to the one shown, but ones like it in the future, it may be posted in the Creative Corner.

Posting business types of threads in Creative Corner is considered a violation of our forum posting policy (specifically rule #2.)

If you need access to the WAHM forum, please PM krisperry or Bectoria.

how did you learn to knit/crochet?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 192 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: how did you learn to knit/crochet?
    Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 5:40pm
I am fairly certain that I am the least crafty pin mama LOL i can do some cute stuff with the kids, but it's always stuff I find on pinterest or some site or book. it just doesn't come naturally to me! but I have been really wanting to make stuff.. I think knitting or crocheting would be great because there are so many things to do gift wise and for the kids with little equipment needed. so, did you all learn online, from a book, a class? i am kind of a hands on learner and feel like a class would be best for me. 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
Sponsored Links

Sarah2106 View Drop Down
P'inspector
P'inspector

Member Rating(22)

P'insane

Perennial Pinner
6 years 179 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote Sarah2106 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 6:04pm
I taught myself to crochet when I was 15, I think it was, I started out making a blanket. I picked it up really fast.

I am working on teaching myself to knit. I understand how, but since my speed is not there yet, I tend to still crochet over knitting.

I know our local Rec Center (like YMCA) does knitting and crocheting classes, if you have a local yarn store they could have classes... Once you get the hang of it, it is really fun
Wife & Mom to my amazing 3

"The mother's heart is the child's schoolroom."
MamaKikow View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(4)

Perennial Pinner
3 years 92 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote MamaKikow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 7:00pm
My 12 year old sister taught me to crochet.
She has crocheting lessons at school as an extra curriculum program and passed it on to me...

Crochet is really easy to learn, and fun. And rewarding :)
Happy wife to J and SAHM to my 2 little girls and a surprise baby boy joined us in the Spring.

*Please excuse the typos. my 'smart' phone was too smart for school*
hudfamsix View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote hudfamsix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 8:09pm
I learned to knit using this video, and also using videos on KnittingHelp.com and YouTube.  It was so much easier than using books or pictures.
Beth
"Babe" to Jason (12 years)
Knitting, Running, Homeschooling Mom to
Sierra (11), Tyner (9), Zeke (5), and Emma (3)
mrscakes View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote mrscakes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 8:16pm
A bunch of us here taught ourselves together a couple of years ago (wow, almost 3 years ago now that I think about it!).  I learned the most from the videos on knittinghelp.com and also just googled different techniques.  In addition, I would go into my LYS for help - and actually made a really good friend there who I still get together with even though the store has since closed.  So I'd say it's totally possible to teach yourself from online videos, but it's also nice to have a local resource for those times when you just need hands-on help.

Oh and FWIW, I tried to learn to crochet first b/c everyone said it was easier... but I'm a total crochet failure and knitting came MUCH easier to me.
3boysMom View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote 3boysMom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 9:04pm
My mom taught me to crochet and it's faster than knitting imo, but I still prefer to knit. When I finally decided to knit I actually learned the basics from knitting for dummies and then the rest was a lot of blogs and videos on line.
Samantha, Captain of Chaos at Turk & Bean
J2 View Drop Down
P'integral
P'integral

Member Rating(11)

Perennial Pinner
4 years 102 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote J2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 10:05pm
well i can do a knit stitch so i'm chiming in :)

i got a kit from Michaels and it was helpful. I watched a couple of vids on youtube. then an IRL friend watched me knit and offered suggestions. that was last sunday and i am going pretty good on my dishcloth :)

GL :)
Jenn

There’s a big difference between Knowledge & Wisdom. Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in fruit salad.
gourami View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote gourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2012 at 11:44pm
I got a "teach yourself crochet" book from a craft store a few years back when I was stuck in bed after an accident.  It tired to learn to knit as well and found crochet much easier.  Crochet goes much quicker (I am impatient) and I have trouble with the tightness of my knitting being consistent.  (If you learn to knit that will make sense Smile)

Amy, married to Josh (2002), mommy to Amelia (2011) giada md
mdahm98 View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(47)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 161 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote mdahm98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 8:54am
Originally posted by hudfamsix hudfamsix wrote:

I learned to knit using this video, and also using videos on KnittingHelp.com and YouTube.  It was so much easier than using books or pictures.

This is me too :) If I had somewhere to take a class I would've done that instead, but the videos are a great alternative!
~Morgan~SAHM to DD 4/8/05 and DS 10/10/08
minneapolismama View Drop Down
P'invaluable
P'invaluable

Member Rating(5)

Perennial Pinner
7 years 192 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote minneapolismama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 9:39pm
ok thanks! i will look into it at a store and check out some more online videos. 
Katie, mama to Alexander 2-8-07 and Maggie Rose 5-3-10 giada md
sunsmiles View Drop Down
P'incredible
P'incredible

Member Rating(29)

Perennial Pinner
5 years 204 days

Post Options Post Options   Quote sunsmiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2012 at 9:54pm
I went to my Local Yarn Store and they taught me the knit stitch and the purl stitch after I purchased a pair of needles and a skein of yarn from them. It was nice having the hands on help in the beginning. I learned everything else from videos online. I too like knittinghelp.com.

I picked crochet up again this year after a 15 year hiatus. I taught myself from online videos and an old book I had laying around.
Meghan

"In a gentle way, you can shake the world." -Mahatma Gandhi    
chicka.chicka View Drop Down
P'invisible
P'invisible

Post Options Post Options   Quote chicka.chicka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2012 at 12:31am
I first learned to crochet from my mom's best friend when I was about 11, but quickly lost interest.  I picked it up again when Joshua was tiny.  I started learning to knit a little over a year ago after years of shying away from it.  I bought a Red Heart starter kit, watched lots of videos on YouTube and Knittinghelp.com, and got advice from the lovely ladies here at the Pin who would critique the photos I posted of my progress.  It was because of them that I figured out that I was wrapping my knit stitches the wrong direction and twisting my stitches.  I also read lots of stuff on Ravelry and learned from the threads there.
LORI, Wife to Shane & Mom to: Benjamin(14), Elizabeth(13), Thomas(11), Olivia(9), Joshua(4), Rebekah(2), and Andrew (11/27/13)
~*~Parenting consists of long days and short years.~*~
 Post Reply Post Reply